Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Accommodation *No advertising. Read Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Green Brigade

Hello,

I am looking to find a place for 3 girls (very clean) to stay. Anyone have any advice where to look other than the obvious daft etc? Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Crude

First of all ill point out that we are living here as "licencees", not tenants.

This was in my email yesterday - " You should understand that you will not become a tenant at Corrib Village and the Licence Agreement does not create and Landlord and Tenant relationship. You will be a licensee under a licence agreement which is similar to being a guest. In general a guest can be asked to leave at any time if they don’t comply with the invitation which they have received. Similarly under a licence agreement, a licensee can be asked to leave if they don’t comply with the terms of the licence. You should feel free to obtain legal advice on this point and on the licence agreement in general if you wish to do so."

So does anyone know how licencees rights differ from a tenants?

Also. First year summer examinations seem to finish early this year on the 24th of April yet the licence we are paying for continues to the 23rd of May. Now I wouldn't complain except its supposed to be student accommodation which by right should be leased out for the duration of the term and to not rip students off for an extra month that they don't need.

We have to pay for an phone line for incoming calls which we are not allowed to use except for room to room calls. We have no option weather to pay for a t.v licence. And since everyone in the apartment has to pay for one, I wonder does everyone in the apartment pay a portion of it or the full price each.

About guests staying overnight.. it says if they stay overnight without prior approval you will be charged 125 quid. How hard is prior approval to get and how does it work?

Honestly.. this place treats its "guests" like 12 year old's. I only decided to live here for first year because it's cheapish for a twin room and convenient.

That turned into a bit more of a rant than anything. But it would be cool if someone could answer a few of those questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭m3lani3xx

Anyone get their room number from centrepoint yet? be good if we could get to know the room mates before moving in :o

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ILLY_Bee

justBlake wrote: »
    yup, because the single rooms were all gone and i don't like double beds :P
    but it does mean we're more likely to be in the same house :cool:

oh im in a double bed! didnt wanna get a twin room just incase i ended up not getting along with my roommate! haha

be cool if we ended up in the same house least we would kinda know each other lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Crude wrote: »
    First of all ill point out that we are living here as "licencees", not tenants.

This was in my email yesterday - " You should understand that you will not become a tenant at Corrib Village and the Licence Agreement does not create and Landlord and Tenant relationship. You will be a licensee under a licence agreement which is similar to being a guest. In general a guest can be asked to leave at any time if they don’t comply with the invitation which they have received. Similarly under a licence agreement, a licensee can be asked to leave if they don’t comply with the terms of the licence. You should feel free to obtain legal advice on this point and on the licence agreement in general if you wish to do so."

So does anyone know how licencees rights differ from a tenants?

Also. First year summer examinations seem to finish early this year on the 24th of April yet the licence we are paying for continues to the 23rd of May. Now I wouldn't complain except its supposed to be student accommodation which by right should be leased out for the duration of the term and to not rip students off for an extra month that they don't need.

We have to pay for an phone line for incoming calls which we are not allowed to use except for room to room calls. We have no option weather to pay for a t.v licence. And since everyone in the apartment has to pay for one, I wonder does everyone in the apartment pay a portion of it or the full price each.

About guests staying overnight.. it says if they stay overnight without prior approval you will be charged 125 quid. How hard is prior approval to get and how does it work?

Honestly.. this place treats its "guests" like 12 year old's. I only decided to live here for first year because it's cheapish for a twin room and convenient.

That turned into a bit more of a rant than anything. But it would be cool if someone could answer a few of those questions.
    Yeah, Corrib is ridiculous, but with the amount of people they got in there causing mayhem in the last few years I can't really blame them. As far as I know, most student accommodations (Dunáras, Centrepoint, etc) lease out until the end of May whether you have exams or not. The pricing isn't flexible, so if you finish early it doesn't matter so long as you're gone by the time the lease runs out. However, even in private accommodation, most landlords want you to pay from September to May, and usually take one month's rent off you in case you try to pull a runner before May.

You pay for TV, the phone (lol), internet in the non-refundable portion of the deposit (the only refundable portion is the damage deposit, which is 300€ if I recall correctly.) You don't have to worry about TV licenses, Corrib takes care of it.

The "prior approval" thing is something that I'm fairly sure only came in this year. Last year no non-residents were allowed stay past midnight (or was it 11PM, I can't remember) which was an absolutely ridiculous system. I assume "prior approval" would probably just be a visit to reception or something and the stay would be recorded.

Student accommodation, Corrib especially, will treat you as a child. But it'll also take up the lesser complained about parental roles: you don't really have to diddley squat except pay and all your accommodation needs are sorted.

• Advertisement

Yea man. I guess there isn't anything that can be done about it.
    I'm probably gonna email them to enquire exactly how much of the non refundable part of the deposit goes towards each expense. I just don't like being ripped off.. :P

And I suppose there is no point looking to far into rights and **** because I am sure they have examined their contract thoroughly to make sure they aren't in the wrong legally.

Thanks anyway man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Gualot

kindling wrote: »
    Thank you very much for the detailed reply.
    I'm thoroughly looking forward to living there, really just wanna wee piece of heaven this year in comparison to the dungeons of corrib village last year.
    As far as I know i'm living with 6 other people so that should be fun, Could you tell me if you know if management group people together? i.e. 2nd years with 2nd years etc :)[

As far as I know, they tend to group people of the same year together. I'd say you'll be living with at least a few 2nd year students anyway. :-)

Yeah, Cuirt sounds like a decent choice for second year. You'll be able to have fun, but it's not utter anarchy!

If you're living with 6 other people, I'm guessing that you're in one of the delux apartments--which are lovely! Fairly spacious and comfortable. Also, if you're a fan of your luxuries, you'll be pleased to hear the a lot of the bathrooms have bidets!

If you have any more Cuirt related questions, feel free to ask :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Higgoo

19, m, college starting in a few days and still searching to no avail, will consider all offers, pm me if interested, thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Clarke94

My friend's going there and he told me that he rang corrib village up and they said you can get your key from the 1st!

Just got an email there, thanks :)
    Im moving up the 7th, now all I have to do is try get to know people :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6 galwaygirl94

anyone know of a cheap enough place for 6-10 weeks..? have another place then but need something in between. something for 2 people, no further than 20-25min to nuig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

jumpguy wrote: »
    The "prior approval" thing is something that I'm fairly sure only came in this year. Last year no non-residents were allowed stay past midnight (or was it 11PM, I can't remember) which was an absolutely ridiculous system. I assume "prior approval" would probably just be a visit to reception or something and the stay would be recorded.

You wouldn't have a link going into more detail on this by any chance? I'm living in Corrib this year and never heard of this "prior approval" thing, sounds sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mriazi

Stiltzkin wrote: »
    I went up to Dun Aras, and the place is nice but so expensive. The place seems like a prison.. No music after 10pm, no vistitors after 12, etc etc.

I just booked a single in Centrepoint Apartments. There are 57 other first years like me here, seems pretty nice, be my friends plz guys. :S

seeing these posts make me feel so much better that im not alone! i dont know anyone in galway (im a first yr from canada) so its scary! but im so excited too :)

_LornaJane wrote: »
    Hello, was wondering if any 1st year NUIG students are staying in cuirt na coiribe this year? :D Haven't heard of anyone yet. 

Also anyone else out there studying Commerce international with German? 

yes finally! im an international first year and obviously dont know anyone in galway let alone ireland lol. i was gonna stay in corrib but heard some scary stories. and now im scared they're will be no first yrs in cuirt so itll be harder to meet ppl :S

Hi I'm a first year staying in Cuirt Na Coiribe! :D
    But not studying Commerce, sorry!

yay another first year in cuirt! we should have a group for cuirt na coiribe first years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Corrib isn't exclusively for first years btw (but I don't know anyone daft enough to stay beyond first year!), most college accommodation contracts are Sept - May. Also they would have probably started taking bookings before the college timetable was out.
    I only decided to live here for first year because it's cheapish for a twin room and convenient.

I had a look there it's nearly €80/week each for a twin when you divide in the "non-refundable-deposit" - which should really be included in the weekly rent price for clarity.

Did you shop around? I've stayed in very nice double rooms in houses and apartments around Galway for less than that, it's not good value for a twin!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 _LornaJane

mriazi wrote: »

yes finally! im an international first year and obviously dont know anyone in galway let alone ireland lol. i was gonna stay in corrib but heard some scary stories. and now im scared they're will be no first yrs in cuirt so itll be harder to meet ppl :S

Yay cool another person there :) where you from? :)

J o e wrote: »
    Corrib isn't exclusively for first years btw (but I don't know anyone daft enough to stay beyond first year!), most college accommodation contracts are Sept - May. Also they would have probably started taking bookings before the college timetable was out.

I had a look there it's nearly €80/week each for a twin when you divide in the "non-refundable-deposit" - which should really be included in the weekly rent price for clarity.

Did you shop around? I've stayed in very nice double rooms in houses and apartments around Galway for less than that, it's not good value for a twin!

Yea I realised its not just for first years but its still student accommodation that deals mainly with first years and I would think they would be able to sort out a better deal. Seeing as they also rent out their apartments in the summer also. But yea your right. Bookings would have been made before they were aware of the academic calendar. Although I am pretty sure they work closely with the college and I am pretty sure even if they did know the calendar dates they would still rent out for the same duration for their own sake..

Yea I looked around a little but I just said "**** it". I'll do corrib for first year. I dont mean to complain so much :P I've little else to do until college starts. I'm bored as hell :)

_LornaJane wrote: »
    Yay cool another person there :) where you from? :)

toronto, canada :D when are you moving in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

The only student accommodation that doesn't treat you like a child is Gort imo.
    Cuirt are ridiculous though, some of the apartments have balconies but are locked for the college year. You'd swear there were 5 year olds staying there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Higgoo

any rooms available anywhere at this late stage? max is 300 a month so pm me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 cpatterson601

Hi, Im 18 from Down, going into first year at NUIG and I need a room, PM me if anyone is looking! I can only move up on Saturday or Sunday though, so get in touch thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mosspeat93

Im going into first year, in nuig in september, i missed the payment date for corrib. Anyone at all looking for a roommate or know someone who is? preferably first years in nuig but hey its so late now ill probably have little choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

mosspeat93 wrote: »
    Im going into first year, in nuig in september, i missed the payment date for corrib. Anyone at all looking for a roommate or know someone who is? preferably first years in nuig but hey its so late now ill probably have little choice.
    You probably shouldn't have posted the fact that you missed your payment date for student accommodation, mentioning such a thing will give people the impression that you would be inclined to miss your rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

mosspeat93 wrote: »

Have you rang all the other student accommodations besides corrib?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

You wouldn't have a link going into more detail on this by any chance? I'm living in Corrib this year and never heard of this "prior approval" thing, sounds sweet!
    Nope, send them an email and ask, or call them up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 AP McCoy

What other areas are ideal to rent when going to nuig other than newcastle?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Lookin at the list on http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s[cc_id]=ct2&s[search_type]=rental&s[advanced]=1

Claddagh, Rahoon, Shantalla, Dangan and City Centre (and Newcastle as you said)

Although it's a bit pointless when searching online as most landlords lie about where their property is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,349 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Across the Quinncentenery bridge you have Dún na Coiribe, Got na Coiribe, Dyke Road.
    They are very close to the new Engineering building, Cairns building and the Moyola building. Tesco, Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl, Cinema, Supermacs and McDonalds are all close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Is anyone else moving in tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 cuddlytrout

Me :) I'm moving into Gort tomorrow...where you staying?

Advertisement