Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Accommodation *No advertising. Read Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

You can always spot the people who are minus craic by their general snobbery towards Corrib. Oh the walls don't even have plaster!

If the place still any craic though? They seem to be getting more and more Auschwitz every year. Considering their main/only selling point is the fact it's mental fun there, you'd think they'd stop trying to clamp down on it so much. They treat their residents every bit as bad as some of the residents treat the place itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭xEmily2011

You can always spot the people who are minus craic by their general snobbery towards Corrib. Oh the walls don't even have plaster!

If the place still any craic though? They seem to be getting more and more Auschwitz every year. Considering their main/only selling point is the fact it's mental fun there, you'd think they'd stop trying to clamp down on it so much. They treat their residents every bit as bad as some of the residents treat the place itself.

Ah shur i look forward to being treated badly then :) as long as the room mates are grand like :) And as long as i have a bed i can randomly sleep in...I'm quite content :) lol

I'm not one of those snobby bitches who want luxury :L It's college after all :) I can get luxury for 2nd year if i really need it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Ahh crap, I'm not sure whether to book yet or what, I'm constantly changing my mind about my course, and I won't be sure if I'll get medicine until like...August (although I'll have a fair idea in June with the HPAT results).

When would be too late to book it? :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭xEmily2011

jumpguy wrote: »
    Ahh crap, I'm not sure whether to book yet or what, I'm constantly changing my mind about my course, and I won't be sure if I'll get medicine until like...August (although I'll have a fair idea in June with the HPAT results).

well tbh there's no harm booking it, you can always get 700 of your 800 in return If you don't think you'll get it :) defo reccommend booking cos you can get the room you want that way :)
    G'luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

To be fair security aren't THAT bad! The only hard part is getting non-corrib people in. but once you're in the gates security really don't give a ****. I've been living here since september and not once have security come along and broken up a party (except perhaps the infamous Block O party when the guards were called) They were strict during RAG week with the whole ID thing but sure they had to be infarness!

Corrib Village is unreal and I personally think 1st years that live elsewhere are mising out! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 justniamh

yeah corrib village is definitely the best place to go.. i was like u didnt kno a single person moving to galway in september and hav met soo many people jus from living here..its brilliant! there'll be some nights where ppl are drinkin or somethin nd u wanna go to sleep nd they're loud but like defo worth it! buy earplugs nd you'll be grand :)
    also
    jumpguy wrote: »

i didnt kno if i'd be in galway either nd booked mine after the college offers in late august nd still got a double room so you'll be grand!

johnt91 wrote: »
    To be fair security aren't THAT bad! The only hard part is getting non-corrib people in. but once you're in the gates security really don't give a ****.
    Most of the actual security guards were sound lads, it's mainly the management who clearly push them to find any reason to steal more money off the residents. I was fined something like €100 because a friend kipped the night on my sofa once. I'm not sure what the exact amount was because I told them in no uncertain terms that they wouldn't be getting it.
    I've been living here since september and not once have security come along and broken up a party
    We had it a few times. They'd lie about clauses in our rent agreement, no parties after 10pm and stuff, so we'd show them the part that said "12am" and they'd lie about 'noise complaints' from the flats full of people doing the same thing as us.
    Corrib Village is unreal and I personally think 1st years that live elsewhere are mising out! :D:D
    Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 The third dan

Hi, sorry if there's another thread on these places, but I was just wondering if anybody here is living in either place this year? If so, what are they like this year? Are there many empty apartments/ apartments with 2 instead of 3 in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Lived in Lisdonagh 4 years ago. Seriously, do us all a favour and search the boards. There are hundreds of accommodation threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 The third dan

Ya, thanks smartass, if you'd actually bothered to read my post, you would have seen I was asking what it's like THIS YEAR, so why would I look at threads that are years old? I want to know if the places are half empty like last year, and if they're still continuing with only putting one person in the twin rooms, which always struck me as strange considering how in demand the other campus accomadations are. Anybody got anything constructive to add, unlike him?

• Advertisement

Look keyboard warrior, clearly you are a school kid wondering about next year

Even if lisdonagh/dun aras are full they can seem pretty quiet at times as they are so far away from college everyone spends as much time away as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Lisdonagh was anything but quiet when I was in first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

I'm in Dunaras atm..Meh Has it good bits and bad.

Negatives - Dodgy woodwork,Bug infestation,****e internet,Drafty,FAR AWAY FROM UNI, have to get taxis after night out, can be noisy, hard to get replies from the office,bus runs at awkward times.

Positives - Good at matching roomates,will make friends,nice security,near to cheap offy, really really comfy beds, big kitchens, bus to uni, Bike sheds.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 StephenMcN

I will be going into first year this year and was wondering where to get accomodation. I came across these 2 and was hoping someone could give me an insight into both. All help will be appreciated.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

There are TONNES of threads about accommodation on this forum..
    Use search or scroll down the pages!

As far as I know, Gort is well booked up for next year.
    Just keep well away from Cuirt na Coiribe whatever you do!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Cuirt or Gort na Coiribe was where all the trouble was this year for Rag Week, don't go there. As for Corrib Village, maybe there or even an estate might be safer. Depends on whether you are coming to party or study or both I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I think Corrib is better for first year, I enjoyed my time there anyway :) Don't be prepared for luxury accommodation though ;)

Gort and Cuirt will be more than likely booked out at this stage, although there is a waiting list. They're further away, have a mix of all years, and are much nicer in standard than corrib.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

Gort is nice, corrib is basically a hole of a place with the opportunity to have fun at parties etc. Gort seems to have a lot of parties but not the ones where people trash your house for fun and you are actually are in a nice appartment...

Wish I were a mod. Search the bloody forums before posting. There are literally hundreds of threads like this.

Look keyboard warrior, clearly you are a school kid wondering about next year
    What makes him a keyboard warrior? He didn't threaten you or act the hardman, you just didn't read his post properly and failed to answer his question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

Wish I were a mod. Search the bloody forums before posting. There are literally hundreds of threads like this.

And every time you make a pointless comment on them it keeps them in the boards for even longer, but obviously you don't have much to be at...

What makes him a keyboard warrior? He didn't threaten you or act the hardman, you just didn't read his post properly and failed to answer his question.

Not that it matters but because he is a noob with 2 posts calling me a smartass.

hokeypokey wrote: »
    And every time you make a pointless comment on them it keeps them in the boards for even longer, but obviously you don't have much to be at...

loads to do which is why i'm here.

any way OP, if you havent searched the forums and found other threads, I would recommend avoid official student accomm entirely. It is over priced and poor quality.

If you can get together with a couple friends, rent out a house somewhere in Newcastle, Corrib Park, even Rahoon. You'll have more responsibilities like bills and stuff, but you'll be far more comfortable. Dont worry about those who say you meet people who know for the rest of your life there. I'm not in contact with anyone I met in Lisdonagh. Havent seen them since we left in May 08.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Let the moderators merge the threads if they see fit.

I've heard good and bad things about Dún Áras. It's supposed to be a nice place to live, but it's location leaves a lot to be desired. It's a good 25 minute walk from the college, bearing in mind that you'll probably be hauling home a bag with books and maybe a laptop.

Lisdonagh is even further away (maybe another 3 minutes, up a hill). I haven't heard anything about it because I only knew one girl who lived there and she dropped out of my course.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MedHead

So I'll be heading to Castlebar on placement next January but will be in Galway for the first semester. Any advice on getting accommodation for one semester only?

There's a good few of us looking and we keep getting told that leases are for the full academic year. I'm heading away for the summer so want to get sorted before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Could you try make an arrangement with the groups that are in Castlebar now (this semester and the Sept-Dec semester) that will be heading back to Galway next January?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Would you not think of maybe staying in Galway and driving to Castlebar? It's an hour drive away from the university

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

MissMoppet wrote: »

Negatives - Dodgy woodwork,Bug infestation,
    :o
    At least they've sorted out the mouse infestation though!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NUIGstudent

Hey.
    Going into second year in NUIG. Wondering if anyone can provide info on any of the student accommodations. Other than Corrib Village where I stayed this year.
    Also, the price of the apartments in Centrepoint and Menlo? ...no listings on the websites.
    Thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Oh dear, it's about to kick off...

*ducks*

Advertisement