Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Accommodation *No advertising. Read Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Trisha XxX

Hi Im hoping to go to the open day in April and was wondering if anyone could tell me what hotels might be near the college as I will have to stay the night before. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

Are you travelling on your own? with parents or with friends?

With friends, then snoozles or sleepzone in the city centre, about 10mins walk from college.
    With parents, then there are loads of hotels. The Westwood house hotel is in Upper Newcastle Road with parking. If you want to stay in town, there are numerous hotels to choose from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I wouldn't bother going if I had to pay for a hotel... can't you just come up some morning have a look around and get an evening bus home? Galway isn't that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Trisha XxX

Could be on my own not too sure. I dont mind staying I love Galway use it as an excuse to stay for the weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iFreeley

Thought id get a new opinion compared to old threads, is it still the dump like people say it is? How strict is the security on letting people stay over?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

As above, I stayed with a friend last year but she is away this time around. Would any of you guys know a B&B real close to the college to stay in?The Snooker is on in march 12th-17th... Not that bothered about price as long as it's very close to the campus.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

There's a place called the Scholar's Rest near NUIG. It's a pub but has rooms too.

Closest pub to the college and a pretty decent one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

There's a place called the Scholar's Rest near NUIG. It's a pub but has rooms too.

Closest pub to the college and a pretty decent one too.

Thanks very much for the reply :) to be honest i don't want to be staying in a pub, somewhere quiet and clean would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭isilidur1980

Thanks very much for the reply :) to be honest i don't want to be staying in a pub, somewhere quiet and clean would do.

I'd agree with you. Some of the locals in the Scholar's Rest leave quite a lot to be desired to tell you the truth. The students, lecturers, medical staff who frequent the place are grand but there is a couple of the locals from years ago who bring the place down. I've only been tot he pub on a couple of occasions and bumped into the same riff-raff all the time. They try to belittle people. I can't imagine why the new management have not got rid of them. I would avoid if best possible!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

The Westwood Hotel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

There is Ash Grove House Guest House, which is less than a 5 minute walk to the venue. There are also loads of really nice B&Bs on College Road (Note: this is not actually beside NUIG, but it's only a 10-12 minute walk away).

+1 for the Westwood Hotel (if you decide on staying in a hotel).

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭keesa

There's a nice B&B in Greenfields in Newcastle*, Don't remember its name though unfortunately. But there are loads in Newcastle from the hospital to dangan would be best I'd say

*found it http://www.corribhaven.net/galway_cheap_hotel_rates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Suil Eile

Are students in corrib village or gort na coiribe allowed to have quests stay over at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

Suil Eile wrote: »
    Are students in corrib village or gort na coiribe allowed to have quests stay over at all?

Yeah, although in Corrib you need to sign them in *I think* 24 hours beforehand. Gort, just walk in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Conchor

Anyone know when and how to apply for on campus accommodation for CAO students ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Conchor wrote: »
    Anyone know when and how to apply for on campus accommodation for CAO students ?

Now I'd imagine

ciano1 wrote: »
    Now I'd imagine

Your right but only two of the places are taking bookings. The on campus accommodation isnt yet along with the 7 other places :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Conchor wrote: »
    Your right but only two of the places are taking bookings. The on campus accommodation isnt yet along with the 7 other places :confused:

Keep checking the websites, they'll advertise when they're taking bookings. Everywhere is different, it's just a waiting game at the minute.

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Keep checking the websites, they'll advertise when they're taking bookings. Everywhere is different, it's just a waiting game at the minute.

Alright cheers!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lauren mc causland95

hi lads, just wondering what the story with gort is ? Like, is the craic good or is it quiet enough? Also, if you had a standard single room, how many people would you have to share the main bathroom with?

Any information about gort would be greatly appreciated ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

hi lads, just wondering what the story with gort is ? Like, is the craic good or is it quiet enough? Also, if you had a standard single room, how many people would you have to share the main bathroom with?

Any information about gort would be greatly appreciated ! :D

Gort is great craic ;) There's not as many 1st years as there is 2nd years so keep that in mind. But still I've made a good amount of friends here and they're in 1st year too! Besides you're right beside Cuirt anyway which also has a good amount of 1st years in it.

The majority of the houses are 5 person which has 3 singles and a twin ensuite. There are also 2 other bathrooms but only one with a shower. Some houses are 3 person with only one bathroom, and a few are *I think* 6 person houses and I'm assuming they have 3 bathrooms too.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭No.5

Lucario wrote: »
    Gort is great craic ;) There's not as many 1st years as there is 2nd years so keep that in mind. But still I've made a good amount of friends here and they're in 1st year too! Besides you're right beside Cuirt anyway which also has a good amount of 1st years in it.

The majority of the houses are 5 person which has 3 singles and a twin ensuite. There are also 2 other bathrooms but only one with a shower. Some houses are 3 person with only one bathroom, and a few are *I think* 6 person houses and I'm assuming they have 3 bathrooms too.

I've had a six bedroom house in Gort, so to confirm yeah we had 3 bathrooms but only 2 showers ;) Whoever has the single room on the ground floor has to use the first or second floor's shower :) btw twin rooms on the top floor of the 6 bedrooms are FREEEEZING!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Does anyone know if Amhra House has en suite rooms? Website doesn't say anything...

I got a booking confirmation from corrib village when I sent in my application, but no confirmation when I sent in my €200 deposit? Will they confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Suil Eile wrote: »
    I got a booking confirmation from corrib village when I sent in my application, but no confirmation when I sent in my €200 deposit? Will they confirm this?

They're taking bookings now?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

Slow Show wrote: »

I've been ringing up repeatedly throughout january, and they said mid february that they'd be open for bookings and that they'd email me, but no email as of yet :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Hi guys, where would be the best place to rent for just one semester in galway?
    Im doing work experience as part of my course next year so ill probably only need to rent in Galway from August untill December. Would any of the student accomodations rent a room for just one semester?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Hi guys, where would be the best place to rent for just one semester in galway?
    Im doing work experience as part of my course next year so ill probably only need to rent in Galway from August untill December. Would any of the student accomodations rent a room for just one semester?
    I think the likes of Gort and Cuirt, do not sure about the others. They'll have you down for the whole year but as long as you give them a good notice prior to moving out in December they'll have no problem doing it for you. That's generally why the accept payments for a single semesters anyway.

Slow Show wrote: »
    Ah, seems I just goofed and filled in the form for last year. Rang them up though and my deposits ok, I just apply when the new application opens and it'l still be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rugrats

Hi,
    I'm going into fist year next year in Galway next year and I'm not really sure where to stay in Galway. I hear Corrib Village is basically for people who go out partying every night. Is this true? What are the other places around like, and are there many first years in those places?

Advertisement