Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Accommodation *No advertising. Read Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭NinjaDucks

Hi guys, where would be the best place to rent for just one semester in galway?
    Im doing work experience as part of my course next year so ill probably only need to rent in Galway from August untill December. Would any of the student accomodations rent a room for just one semester?

Menlo does it for sure, just to add. There's loads of students here just for the semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭matthew2008

hi, im looking for the best place to live for nuig (student accom), low price and distance to the college and city (clubs and stuff) are my main considerations, 'quality' and 'comfort' are secondary (but would be nice to know about? any advice? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

hi, im looking for the best place to live for nuig (student accom), low price and distance to the college and city (clubs and stuff) are my main considerations, 'quality' and 'comfort' are secondary (but would be nice to know about? any advice? thanks

Huh, you'd rather sh*thole just as long as it's near the nightclubs and town!? :rolleyes:

Well most of the student accommodations are within walking distance from town except for Dunaras and Centrepoint (Off the top of my head anyway)
    They're all basically the same price too (~€105 - €115) + Bill/security deposit which have to be paid in 2 instalments at the start of each semester. None of them are really 'low price'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'd say no to Dunaras. I'm living here atm, and while it's nice, the distance from town is just too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I'd say no to Dunaras. I'm living here atm, and while it's nice, the distance from town is just too much.

I've never lived there but never found the distance from town too bad.
    I once walked there from town and it too me 20 minutes to walk there from the spanish arch!

• Advertisement

ciano1 wrote: »
    I've never lived there but never found the distance from town too bad.
    I once walked there from town and it too me 20 minutes to walk there from the spanish arch!

It's grand once or twice, but doing it every day or two is a nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I'd say it depends on what year you're going into. Assuming it's 1st year, I'd highly recommend Corrib Village, I'm here at the moment and the craic is unreal and imo the houses are nice.

For 2nd year though I'm off to Gort :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭matthew2008

cheers yeah going into first year and paid my booking deposit on corrib there last week :) cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    It's grand once or twice, but doing it every day or two is a nightmare!

there is a free bus

there is a free bus

To college, at certain times. My schedule just doesn't match it a lot. Don't mind too much, I like walking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Connor793

Hi I was just wondering if i should book accomodation, such as in corrib village, for starting uni in September 2013? And what happens if i book it but do not get into the uni?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Connor793

Fooker wrote: »
    Aw thats great thanks alot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Crossposting this from the Galway City forum, figured it would be a good place to get info:

Hi all,

Myself and a few friends are planning on finding jobs in Galway for the summer and we're looking for a place to stay. So far we've found a place in Woodquay, but that's about it.

Just looking to get feedback on areas in and around (ie 10 mins walk) the city centre that would be taken up for the summer. Also, info about letting agencies would be appreciated. If you know someone who is renting, let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Crossposting this from the Galway City forum, figured it would be a good place to get info:

Hi all,

Myself and a few friends are planning on finding jobs in Galway for the summer and we're looking for a place to stay. So far we've found a place in Woodquay, but that's about it.

Just looking to get feedback on areas in and around (ie 10 mins walk) the city centre that would be taken up for the summer. Also, info about letting agencies would be appreciated. If you know someone who is renting, let me know!

As far as I know Gort na Coiribe also rents out for the summer. I *think* it's €45 per week for a twin room and €60 for a single. It's about 10 mins to the city centre so probably just what you're looking for, but I'd give reception a call and ask just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 amym87

Hi,

I am a research student at NUIG and do most of my research from home. I have a 2 week course in the college in April and wondering if anyone knows anywhere I could stay relatively cheap for the two weeks. I dont know anyone in Galway and hotels etc would be really expensive for the two weeks.

Would really appreciate it if anyone could help!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rachie21

Hello,

Just thought i'd start this thread as i've been accepted to a masters in nuig this september and I'm looking for some reliable feedback on accommodation in Galway.. After living in pretty dire conditions this year as my friends and I were late on the housing scene, I'm going to be fussy this year :P

Because i'm not from Galway and will know literally nobody except my boyfriend, a Galway resident, I think student accommodation could be a good option for me to meet other students? I'm over the whole party scene that the undergrad brings, so I'm looking for somewhere quite-ish, location isn't the most important, a long walk wouldn't put me off! Price is not really an issue either and I would prefer a double ensuite room! I'm not a brat, swear :P

I've done some research but have come to no conclusion..Cuirt na coiribe looks fab but i've heard from posts on here that the walls are paper thin and this would annoy me, centrepoint also looks nice but with the disavantage that its quite a bit away from nuig, dunaras has carpets which is a problem for my persistent asthma, Atlantis looks fine too! Also went onto the menlo park apartments site, but they don't have many pictures up- anyone any idea what the interiors are like? i'm leaning towards centrepoint at the moment.

Any feedback is welcome! woah, ridiculously long post! :D
    cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

Rachie21 wrote: »
    Hello,

Just thought i'd start this thread as i've been accepted to a masters in nuig this september and I'm looking for some reliable feedback on accommodation in Galway.. After living in pretty dire conditions this year as my friends and I were late on the housing scene, I'm going to be fussy this year :P

Because i'm not from Galway and will know literally nobody except my boyfriend, a Galway resident, I think student accommodation could be a good option for me to meet other students? I'm over the whole party scene that the undergrad brings, so I'm looking for somewhere quite-ish, location isn't the most important, a long walk wouldn't put me off! Price is not really an issue either and I would prefer a double ensuite room! I'm not a brat, swear :P

I've done some research but have come to no conclusion..Cuirt na coiribe looks fab but i've heard from posts on here that the walls are paper thin and this would annoy me, centrepoint also looks nice but with the disavantage that its quite a bit away from nuig, dunaras has carpets which is a problem for my persistent asthma, Atlantis looks fine too! Also went onto the menlo park apartments site, but they don't have many pictures up- anyone any idea what the interiors are like? i'm leaning towards centrepoint at the moment.

Any feedback is welcome! woah, ridiculously long post! :D
    cheers!

If you're looking for a student accomodation you probably won't get much peace and quiet :P Especially in Cuirt/Gort area because it's mainly 1st and 2nd years. I'm not sure what Centrepoint is like. Menlo apartments are nice enough, it's a small sort of area which is good but still has more younger students :pac: On the plus you get a washing machine in your house though :rolleyes:

If you really want your own space and close enough to the college then maybe look at apartments in the City centre! I heard a good few masters students live there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rachie21

Lucario wrote: »
    If you're looking for a student accomodation you probably won't get much peace and quiet :P Especially in Cuirt/Gort area because it's mainly 1st and 2nd years. I'm not sure what Centrepoint is like. Menlo apartments are nice enough, it's a small sort of area which is good but still has more younger students :pac: On the plus you get a washing machine in your house though :rolleyes:

If you really want your own space and close enough to the college then maybe look at apartments in the City centre! I heard a good few masters students live there!

• Advertisement

Lucario wrote: »
    I'm not sure what Centrepoint is like.

I know a good few first years who live there anyway, so dunno how suitable it would be for a postgrad!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

Hi all, there is a really high chance that I will be going NUIG this year after my LC. I am looking for accommodation and at the moment I am most interested in Gort na Coiribe. How is this place? I know there is a lot of answers on this thread but non of them are specified.

Also, can you give me your thoughts on Twin Ensuite rooms? I thinking of picking one as they are fairly cheap and I suspect that having a toilet shared between two people is fairly good thing to have. Another thing would be how is Donegan Court Accommodation? On pictures it looks amazing and its actually cheaper than Gort Twin Ensuite, how is this place like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cerridwen

Hi folks :)

Confused incoming Erasmus student here. I'm off to Galway in August and desperately trying to figure out which of the student accommodations is really worth the money.

This is what I understood from your posts. Corrib: great craic, but full of drunk first years and not so nice apartments. Dunaras: definitely too far, and dodgy area. Gort: nice place, not so strict - but it's already full, there's a waiting list. :( Cúirt: nice, not too far from NUIG and town - even though you have to cross a bridge that apparears to have its own weather lol (tbh I don't care too much about this).

So, did I get that right? I really don't have any idea of which to pick. Is Cúirt the best choice in your opinion? Or should I consider other options (Centrepoint, Menlo...)? I'm a 20-year-old girl so the area must be safe at night. And at the moment I just need to know whether the apartments/rooms are nice (or decent at least) - I'll think of the craic later. ;)

I'll be forever grateful to anyone helping me! :)

Cerridwen wrote: »
    Hi folks :)

Confused incoming Erasmus student here. I'm off to Galway in August and desperately trying to figure out which of the student accommodations is really worth the money.

This is what I understood from your posts. Corrib: great craic, but full of drunk first years and not so nice apartments. Dunaras: definitely too far, and dodgy area. Gort: nice place, not so strict - but it's already full, there's a waiting list. :( Cúirt: nice, not too far from NUIG and town - even though you have to cross a bridge that apparears to have its own weather lol (tbh I don't care too much about this).

So, did I get that right? I really don't have any idea of which to pick. Is Cúirt the best choice in your opinion? Or should I consider other options (Centrepoint, Menlo...)? I'm a 20-year-old girl so the area must be safe at night. And at the moment I just need to know whether the apartments/rooms are nice (or decent at least) - I'll think of the craic later. ;)

I'll be forever grateful to anyone helping me! :)

Cuirt is right beside Gort! I'm not too sure what it's like, but I've been there once or twice and the apartments were lovely. It's just beside Gort which is great craic, will be living there myself next year. Safe area and not too far from the college, although the bridge is just outrageous on cold/wet mornings!

Centrepoint would be a bit too far in my opinion for walking distance.

You could also try out Dun na Coribe which is in the same place as Gort and Cuirt! Don't know much about it though.

Corrib I would avoid. I lived there this year and although I absolutely loved it, it's really a first year spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

Corrib I would avoid. I lived there this year and although I absolutely loved it, it's really a first year spot.

I might be going to NUIG as a first year. I wanted to get a room in Gort but if the post above said its full then I need to look for something else :eek: I have been in NUIG on saturday for the open day and I was talking with one of the students that lived in Corrib and the Security man that takes care of it. The student told me that its a great craic and fun and that they absolutely loved it, but it could get really annoying sometimes because you can't sleep at night.

On the other hand, security man told me that the place is really strict.. he mentioned that "It is probably the most strict student accommodation in Ireland". That any time the music is a bit too loud they turn it off straight away, that you are not allowed to have friends stay over after 12 o'clock. and there was something else that I can't remember..

Now, I don't know how it actually is.. some help me out or recommend another accommodation that will fit 1st year student?:confused::confused::confused:

PS. Could someone still give me an opinion about Donegan Court?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cerridwen

Cuirt is right beside Gort! I'm not too sure what it's like, but I've been there once or twice and the apartments were lovely. It's just beside Gort which is great craic, will be living there myself next year. Safe area and not too far from the college, although the bridge is just outrageous on cold/wet mornings!

Centrepoint would be a bit too far in my opinion for walking distance.

You could also try out Dun na Coribe which is in the same place as Gort and Cuirt! Don't know much about it though.

Aye, that's what I thought.
    Thank you so much for your reply! :) I think I'll book a place at Cúirt before it's too late.

Now sorry to bother :D but I need your help again. Just looked at the application form for Cúirt and they ask about a "guarantor" and a "referee". Being an Erasmus student, do you have any idea of what should I write? :O

Now, I don't know how it actually is.. some help me out or recommend another accommodation that will fit 1st year student?:confused::confused::confused:

PS. Could someone still give me an opinion about Donegan Court?

I made a post a while back related to this,

"Well, it depends. Security don't generally start asking people for ID before 10ish, give or take, there is no exact time really I don't think. So before then anyone can go in. Then if you still want to get someone in you can sign them in which allows them in until 12, you have to sign them out before 12 though or you get a fine.

Also if you want a friend to stay over for the night you just have to get a form signed by your housemates and hand it in then the friend can stay what night! But sure, if you get them in before 10 then can stay if you keep it on the down low.

So the only thing you can't really do is have someone back after a night out, but of course, there are ways around that."

I'd recommend Corrib to any first year, you make so many new friends it's great I dunno how possible that would be in other places! Security can be strict but it's never a big deal. House parties will get shut down but sure by then it's time to head into town anyway! No idea about Donegan.
    Aye, that's what I thought.
    Thank you so much for your reply! :) I think I'll book a place at Cúirt before it's too late.

Now sorry to bother :D but I need your help again. Just looked at the application form for Cúirt and they ask about a "guarantor" and a "referee". Being an Erasmus student, do you have any idea of what should I write? :O

No bother. That I do not know, I'd say maybe parents/guardian? Other then that no idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

When would be the best time to look for private accommodation for next year?

Depends on what you want. There's already some places on Daft, but a lot will go up end of May when leases end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tweniebaby

The guarantor can be a parent/guardian and the referee refers to where you stayed last year. It can be left blank if it doesn't apply to you

Advertisement