Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Accommodation *No advertising. Read Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Insensitive toothbrush

Hi everybody I'm wondering what the correct way to go about renting accommodation near NUIG from next September would be . myself and 2 more medical students going into 2nd year have done the student accommodation and we were considering renting a property for the next college year from August or September to may . we've stayed in student accommodations in Gort and cuirt na coirribe and would rather stay somewhere quieter . I have been in houses in dun na coirribe and in Gort na coirribe residential side and thought they would be suitable for us .Does anybody know when these become available and how soon I should book or where the best place to stay would be for 3 21 year old males who are looking for a quieter place still near enough to college and town ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

www.daft.ie to search for properties, probably see more put up over the summer when the current tenants move out. If you have a particular house in mind you could always knock and ask whoever is staying there now if they are moving out and if so can you have the landlord's details. You can get a heads up if they're a robbing bastard or not (more than likely are) too.

Thanks for the attached photo, with all this decent weather I'd forgotten what the college looked like on a shíte day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Insensitive toothbrush

Thanks for that one ill have a look around. Daft has little enough at the minute ill just try to be on the ball over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭keesa

Check Daft- get in well before LC results.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

keesa wrote: »
    Check Daft- get in well before LC results.
    First years aren't likely to be doing private rentals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭keesa

When I was in first year most of my friends were in rentals, and the houses we have the most problems around us are first years renting, that plus the insane queues outside the advertiser for the classifieds the day of LC results makes me think that they do rent

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cerridwen

tweniebaby wrote: »
    The guarantor can be a parent/guardian and the referee refers to where you stayed last year. It can be left blank if it doesn't apply to you

Thank you so much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Start searching now, and if you can get a years rental and you're staying over summer, do it. It's likely to work out cheaper. I was gonna go home and rent for September - May, but got a job and am doing a full year, it works out almost a grand cheaper even though I'm staying for more months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭AndyMc

Can anyone tell me what Room Share Std No means on the Corrib Application form?
    Please. Le do thoill. Help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FelixDSantos

AndyMc wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what Room Share Std No means on the Corrib Application form?
    Please. Le do thoill. Help me.

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

No

Why so mean? :pac:

No

Well you're just a Fudge Packer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FelixDSantos

AndyMc wrote: »
    Well you're just a Fudge Packer :P

Honestly though.. can anybody tell us what that room std thing is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Honestly though.. can anybody tell us what that room std thing is ?

I'd hazard a guess it means standard room, as in not ensuite.

Non of the twin rooms are ensuite and it has number infront of it so that cant be it. Guess ill give a buzz tomorrow to the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kel91

Hi,
    I am currently studying in NUIG and I have a friend from Spain who will be studying in NUI Galway starting from September for the college year. What accomadation would be best? student accomadation or just a normal house/apartment? Since I live with my parents for university I am not really sure what is cheaper or even what is best?

What would be cheaper?

Better location?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

kel91 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am currently studying in NUIG and I have a friend from Spain who will be studying in NUI Galway starting from September for the college year. What accomadation would be best? student accomadation or just a normal house/apartment? Since I live with my parents for university I am not really sure what is cheaper or even what is best?

What would be cheaper?

Better location?

Thanks

I'd opt for student accommodation as you get to pay everything at once (such as broadband, electricity, etc) so there'll be no worrying about paying for them, as well as rent, every month. Plus it's a lot easier to meet other students in NUI and I think it works out cheaper too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

Lucario wrote: »
    I'd opt for student accommodation as you get to pay everything at once (such as broadband, electricity, etc) so there'll be no worrying about paying for them, as well as rent, every month. Plus it's a lot easier to meet other students in NUI and I think it works out cheaper too.

private accom would cost you roughly 3000 with all bills included.

student accom can run into the 6000 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

sea_monkey wrote: »
    private accom would cost you roughly 3000 with all bills included.

student accom can run into the 6000 mark

Really? My student accommodation this year cost around €3,000 and I was in a twin room. A single room would probably bring you up to €4,000 but that's about the highest I've seen and any student accommodation for 6k is crazy :eek: My sister stayed in private accom. this year and had to pay over €4,000 for 9 months on rent alone, excluding the broadband, electricity, etc.

But obviously I'm only speaking of our 2 places so I'm sure there are other places which are cheaper/more expensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You can get plenty of rooms in the private sector for €60pw
    Student accommodation is overpriced for what it is. See Donegan Court

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 fiddfoot

I am a prospective Med student for undergrad 2013. I dont know many people going to galway and I am wondering which place might be the best for meeting new first years similar to me. If any Med students have read this and have gone through this first year stage, it would be greatly appreciated if they could recommend which student village is the best for meeting new people while being able to maintain sufficient study to pass first year med. Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

fiddfoot wrote: »
    I am a prospective Med student for undergrad 2013. I dont know many people going to galway and I am wondering which place might be the best for meeting new first years similar to me. If any Med students have read this and have gone through this first year stage, it would be greatly appreciated if they could recommend which student village is the best for meeting new people while being able to maintain sufficient study to pass first year med. Thanks a lot!

Without doubt corrib village would be ideal !

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pourquoi

If you're studying medicine (and not doing the pre-med year), stay away from Corrib at all costs. You'll never sleep. Most of the other places are fine. Don't knock private accommodation either.

fiddfoot, I'm going into Third Med in Sept, if you want to ask me anything, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

Was going to rent but I'm hearing now it's worth the extra money to go for student accom in first year!

Where would be good craic and not too strict?
    I do love to go out but I much prefer sitting in drinking in the house where you can chat! All night sessions are the best.

therefore I wouldn't really be able to deal with not having people stay over, etc :/

Is there a student accom that would suit me or would I be better off renting? Going into first year.

I personally never lived in any of the SAs, but from what I gather, Corrib is the most lax with its rules re guests... Not that there's much room for them to sleep. It's like a prison camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Damogib

Corrib is easy to get around security wise once you come to know the place after the first month or so. Its very easy to figure out. although you are allowed to sign people in, you have to get your roommates to sign a form (just sign their names yourselves) and hand it into reception in the 24 hours before the arrival of your guest. If you want to go around it a different way, just have your friends that live outside corrib come in before half 7 or 8 o clock, thats usually when security start. If all comes to all and security come to your apartment because there is too much 'Craic' or loud music and they see that these people arent from corrib, just say that 'how am i meant to know they are not from corrib, they said they were and what can i do about it'. Its very easy to bend the rules in corrib village

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

I haven't had to find a place in a few years and forget when people usually do it. When would people usually start looking for private accommodation? I'm going to be looking for something very near the college this year after living out in Gleann Dara last year. Probably just looking for a room but could probably round up a few others if there's a whole house going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cant Trust The System

Could anyone give me their thoughts on getting digs? There's a possibility I may be studying medicine in NUIG next September. Do digs tend to be nice and quiet for studying or does it really vary?

When would people usually start looking for private accommodation?

Now. And its more difficult than you think to find somewhere that isn't damp and draughty. Newcastle accommodation is like gold-dust. Use Daft and the accommodation office people!
    Could anyone give me their thoughts on getting digs? There's a possibility I may be studying medicine in NUIG next September. Do digs tend to be nice and quiet for studying or does it really vary?

Digs seem to be unusual in Galway; I only know one person who was in digs this year. It really depends on the person who's offering it. I would imagine it is definitely the quietest option, however having said that there are drawbacks, like having to be home at a certain time for dinner, curfews, etc. Not all people offering digs have such strict rules, but the guy I knew living digs had to be home before 1am... :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Becca1992

Hi,

Myself and a friend (both girls) are looking for housemates in Galway for this college year 2013-14. We're both 21 and going into final year in NUIG, so we'll be studying a fair bit, but also up for the craic :)

If anyone around our age has two free rooms in their house, or would be interested in teaming up and finding a place with us, it'd be great to hear from you! :)

Advertisement