Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Accommodation *No advertising. Read Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mmts09

Guys, anyone looking for a housemate for the Acadamh out in Carraroe - coming up to do a hdip out there and only got the housing list this morning! no nothing/anyone in the area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 johnk92

Cuirt best option. Apartments are really nice and handiest nearer to Gort for college. Strict enough but loadsa craic to be had!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

johnk92 wrote: »
    Cuirt best option. Apartments are really nice and handiest nearer to Gort for college. Strict enough but loadsa craic to be had!

Are you being paid by Cuirt? Your last three posts have all been about how great it is. Anyone I've known to stay there had mixed opinions. Nice apartments but small, strict and bad sound proofing have put them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Nice rooms but overall it's a posh prison!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

All my searching has been fruitless so far!
    The day the LC results come out we can expect a lot of properties to be listed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Doocey wrote: »
    All my searching has been fruitless so far!
    The day the LC results come out we can expect a lot of properties to be listed?

Its hard to say, just check the advertiser daily, daft (set up email alerts) and even adverts.ie which has a small property section.

Keep plugging away, you'll get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

looking for few to share a house with in Rahoon. 20 min walk to NUIG. I am female first year. non smokers only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Miller101

Hey i'm looking for some people to share a house with.. i'm from cork so the contacts are limited. :p I'm 18 doing an Arts degree and looking around the city atm.. let me know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 atticusfrost

Hello

2 rooms going in a large house in Gleann Dara sharing with a post-grad and two second years.. €240 each, single. Bins included

The house is situated at the front of the estate, close to NUIG at a 15 minute walk. You also have the option of the Bus Éireann buses which can be gotten on either side of the road.

Move in from September 1st.

If you want any more information, don't hesitate to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

I said Id throw a post together for new and current students in Galway with regards to accommodation, all the way from student accommodation to finding a house.

Student accommodation:

I’d recommend that EVERY first year try to live in a student accommodation. It’s the best way to meet other student, and to assimulate into college life. As long as you’re not a dry c**t you’ll have a great time in a student accommodation.

I’ve lived in Corrib Village and Gort na Coiribe. I would only recommend Corrib to first years, and it would be the only place I would recommend to first years! If you go there in your first year it would be the best start to your college career you could make. It is brilliant craic, close to college, and you are surrounded by other first years. Its not the nicest of accommodation and reception can be hard to deal with but the positives far outweigh the negatives. Put it this way, I’d love to be a first year back in Corrib Village again! If you’re not a first year avoid the place like a drunk girl in Coyotes. Price: €72-€125

I lived in Gort na Coiribe last year. Again, great craic and a lovely place to live. Its a bit older, not too many first years about the place, mainly second and third years. A nice place to live if you’re not a first year but still want the bit of banter. I wouldn’t recommend it to first years because many of the people living there would be living with the friends they made in first year and already have many of their groups formed. Its more expensive than getting a private house but everything is included and reception are nice and easy to deal with. Price: €80-€115

Cuirt na coiribe is nice too, been in there a bit. Depends on what ya want really, I could never live there because its so strict about parties and having friends over after a night out. In saying that I know a few people who liked it and are going back to stay there again. Price: €105-€125

There are other student accommodations but would know enough to comment on them.

Private accommodation:

This year I’m living in Dun na Coiribe, but while searching for this house I became a bit of an expert in looking for houses. Daft.ie and the advertiser are your best friends when it comes to getting a privare house. Check daft every day! You will find what you want eventually. When you go looking for a house, make sure everybody in your group(if you’re looking to find a house for a group) have references because the landlord will want them!(handy to have passport size photos and 2 references as thats what Winters(big letting agency) look for).If you know people leaving houses ask them for their landlords number because even if you don’t get your friends house, landlords sometimes have more than one house for rent or they would know other landlords. Also, its easier to get a place to live if you have a group to fill a house because not many landlords will want the hassle of filling their house themselves.

The main benefit about houses are the price, its an awful lot cheaper to live in a house. The price range is immense, you could get a house for €60 per week or you could pay €100. Depends on what ya want and where you’re looking for. Generally the cheapest area would be in the Newcastle and Salthill direction. The handy thing about Cherry, Hazel park and the estates in that direction is there is usually a fair few students over there. Houses go from €65 to €75 a week. I wouldn’t pay more than that for a house out there unless the landlord is throwing in free bins or UPC etc. I should probably say at this point that the prices I mention about houses are only rent. ESB, tv, internet, bins are generally your own responsibility. In Newcastle, theres a few estates in around Greenfields (directly across from the corrib village entrance) where you can get houses and are close to college. Theres more estates that would be full of students near the hospital too like Moyola park. Again, you’re looking at the €70 to €80 mark around here. Some nice houses close to college on that side of the bridge.

Then there would be the other side of the bridge, headford road. Imo, the houses in Dun na Coiribe are the s**t. Close to college, close to the student accommodations for the craic, walking distance from town and nice to live in. These house would generally be dearer than the ones on the Newcastle side of the bridge. Prices would range from €75 to €90. No student should have to pay more than €90 a week ANYWHERE!. Theres a good range of houses over here too, from detatched houses to apartments. Further down the headford rd theres Castelawn heights. Normal houses, grand to live in, might be a bit far from college.

You can also get a house closer to the city. Theres always loads of apartments going around the city centre. Handy to find one. Forster court and Cill Ard would be two areas where there’d be a few students(with a few GMIT’ers mixed in). The townhouses above Dunnes is also full of students. Prices in town can be anything depending on the apartment and location. Anything from €60 to €100. But always try to negociate the landlord.
    On a side note, I wouldn’t recommend dealing with City Property services(the crowd up Prospect hill). I found them to be lazy and ignorant. They also look for a price way above what the house is worth eg They were advertising houses in Dun na coiribe for €103 a week nothing included!

If you have any questions just ask I’ll do my best to answer. And just to emphasise, if you’re a first year, live in corrib village!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 UrsulaS

We have free rooms in house, if anyone interested, let me know on priv.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Eugers

2 first year students in NUIG looking for ppl to share a house with! pm me for more info! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 UrsulaS

one room avaliable in 4bed house

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭nowimtalking

If anyone is having trouble looking for a place, contact the university accommodation office, though they have close to nothing left for first years, they did their best and got me a place.
    I also have two contacts that were looking for postgrad only, so if you need them ask! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cgray3

Room available in dun na coirbe. Living with two girls both NUI students. Rent is 390 p/m available immediately. Message me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Eugers

1st yr IT student looking for somewhere to stay! I'm not a dry arse and enjoy nights out, but i wont wreck the house or anything like that :P pm me if anyone has anywhere with a spare room, thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 laura_h

Hi,
    I'm a postgrad looking for accomodation near to NUIG preferably with other postgrads or third years, if anybody has any or knows of anybody with rooms can they pm me tnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 galway_girlie

2 rooms left in a 5 bed detatched house in Claremount. About a 15 min walk to college. Sharing with 3 first year lads (science and commerce students). The first room's a double with an ensuite for 250 per month, the second is a single for 200 per month.

Ring Eoghan (one of the lads in the house) on <snip> if you're interested.

(ETA..incase ur wondering about my username, I don't live there. One of the lad's is my cousin & seein as I've a boards.ie account I put the notice up 4 them!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TimeToWander

Two rooms available in a four bedroom house with two first years! one single & one double 250 p/m. 20ish mins from nui. Pm meee

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭CDH

2nd year student looking for accomodation, if anyone can help pm me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TedSheckler

Hi everyone, I'm a 24 year old non-smoker attending NUI as a mature student, looking for a place in Galway. If anyone has anything going I'd love to hear about it!
    -Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭MurDawg

2 3rd year lads looking to share a house/appartment near nuig, mail me!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tanoone

My son wants to accept a second round offer in trinity ,due to his lc results being rechecked. He cannot get a refund on his single room en suite .He paid 3000 euro plus 800 deposit . anyone want the room . will take 1000 off what he's paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

tanoone wrote: »
    My son wants to accept a second round offer in trinity ,due to his lc results being rechecked. He cannot get a refund on his single room en suite .He paid 3000 euro plus 800 deposit . anyone want the room . will take 1000 off what he's paid.

That is ridiculous that he cannot get a refund. Our daughter is starting Science & she has got accomodation at CentrePointat similar money. I asked what would happen if she was upgraded and was not taking the place & I was told by one person that this can be claimed off the department as, essentially, there was an error in your marking which resulted in your bein offered the wrong course. So you should check that out also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

tanoone wrote: »

Cowboys Ted! Don't let that slide . . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

LakesKeane wrote: »
    Cowboys Ted! Don't let that slide . . :)

I'd say mention a Solicitor's Letter and they should come around rather sharpish....

• Registered Users Posts: 48 workingstudent

i moved out of a single room in gort na coiribe last week so there is a room available...hoping somebody will take it soon as i have to pay the rent until it's filled...sharing with 3 other girls

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

I need to move out of my room in Gort na Glaise,
    Double bed, clean house, sound roommates, UPC internet and TV, washer/drier
    275 a month
    PM me , i need to fill it ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

i moved out of a single room in gort na coiribe last week so there is a room available...hoping somebody will take it soon as i have to pay the rent until it's filled...sharing with 3 other girls

Did you rent the house or the room?

Been told by the second landlord that I had a room sorted only to be texted a day later that they had let the room to someone else.....

Are ALL landlords retarded out of curiousity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 workingstudent

constantg wrote: »
    Did you rent the house or the room?

Been told by the second landlord that I had a room sorted only to be texted a day later that they had let the room to someone else.....

Are ALL landlords retarded out of curiousity?

ya got a phone call yesterday to say it was rented. i was renting a room in an apartment. it's run by the office because it's student accomodation so it would be slightly different to dealing with landlords

Advertisement