Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Accommodation *No advertising. Read Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

ya got a phone call yesterday to say it was rented. i was renting a room in an apartment.

Ah sur happy days so!

Are there any property management companies in galway that handle individual rooms? Winters only deals with complete houses they were saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭cheeseofdoom

Hi. I'm looking for a double ensuite from Dec 1st. I'm a PhD student, quiet and tidy. I'd like to pay per month direct debit (as opposed to per week, cash in hand), and I'm looking for a place in very good condition that I can ideally rent for a year plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hysng

hi! I am an international student going on exchange to NUI Galway in the coming semester.

Currently I am searching for accommodation during my exchange period.
    WHat would be some of the recommendations?
    Student residence?
    Find a host family?
    Rent a private apartment?

Do you think I should do it before I arrived or is it still ok for me to look for accommodation when I reached Galway?

I am a bit anxious now so could anyone give me any suggestion or help me analyse the pros/cons of different accommodations?

THANKS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

There's plenty of accomodation available in Galway for students. What age are you, type of person, do you like sharing accomodation, living alone, your budget? All of those should be taken into consideration. I'd advise you to google accom in galway and get an idea of prices, areas to rent in, etc. By the way, what is your budget and what is your 1st choice/ Then, work from there. It's a great city, if you respect it, then it will respect you, also works the other way.

Well my primary concern is safety, I want to know is it still safe for me (20 yrs old, Female) to live in a private apartment/share it with other others?

My accommodation budget is around 1250-1750 euros for the semester.
    Ideally it would be the best to live somewhere near the campus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

www.daft.ie is a good website for finding private accomodation.

Also try the university's accomodations office: http://www.nuigalway.ie/accommodation/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Thread merged with Accommodation sticky.

hysng, a lot of international students go into student accommodation for the semester, the popular ones tend to be Gort na Coiribe, and Cuirt na Coiribe. Have a look at their prices and see if they suit. Would be easier than finding a house for just one semester.

What about Centrepoint? Read their website, seems to be a lovely place.

hysng wrote: »
    What about Centrepoint? Read their website, seems to be a lovely place.

you're very far out from the college though. gort/cuirt are much closer. use google maps to get an idea of the distance you'd have to walk/cycle.

do a search in this forum for accommodation threads, it's come up loads of times before. they'll give you much more experience on the student accommodations than any of the websites will.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Eugers

Looking for a housemate for second semester. Its a five bedroom house with 4 first years in it (2 girls, 2 lads). Looking for another first yr. PM for more info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

anyone looking for a housemate/room mate for second semester im coming up from ul to study in nuig and looking for a place to stay?

Look in the usual places - Daft.ie and Galway Advertiser Classifieds. Close to the college would be Newcastle or Headford Road areas. Salthill would be cheaper in general but you've a longer walk than either of the previous two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Thinking of applying for Corrib next year, can anyone explain this to me:

Online, they offer:

Single standard, Double standard, then both sharing ensuite for an extra cost.

Like.. How many rooms would there be in an apartment, so if you got a basic double, how many would you be sharing a bathroom with?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭xEmily2011

Grindylow wrote: »

Online, they offer:

Like.. How many rooms would there be in an apartment, so if you got a basic double, how many would you be sharing a bathroom with?

Standard rooms all share a bathroom together, there are between 4 and 5 in the apartment.
    Ensuite rooms are 4 per apartment, a double ensuite, single ensuite, and a double and single sharing ensuite.
    I have a double ensuite and i don't think i could handle the standard apartments...i like having my own bathroom and all that...
    tha sharing ensuites are not much more expensive and you only share with 1 person, and you have a shower...
    in a standard apartment, like i said, you share with 4-5 people per apartment and the bathroom includes a bath with a shower...
    I know people in the standards who haven't said anything other than there's no plaster on the walls...they're just brick wall. no one i know has complained about the bathroom status or anything.
    again, i really don't think i could go without my ensuite. Double Ensuite is the most expensive in Corrib, but it is definitely worth it if you can afford it. Any of the ensuites are really..
    Good Luck!
    Corrib is great craic and as a warning, it is usually as mental as expected. Room mates may not always be as you expected either. But it is possible to change apartments if you don't get on with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Online, they offer:

There are 2 types of houses that you can go for in Corrib. One set are the standard houses. These have 3/4/5 people per house (Most houses have 4 people. I don't know of any more than 5, that's where one of the bedrooms is a twin room). There's a bathroom (shower + toilet) and a separate toilet in each house.

The other set are the ensuite houses. In these you can have either single ensuite, double ensuite or sharing ensuite where you share the bathroom with 1 other person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

xEmily2011 wrote: »
    Standard rooms all share a bathroom together, there are between 4 and 5 in the apartment.
    Ensuite rooms are 4 per apartment, a double ensuite, single ensuite, and a double and single sharing ensuite.
    I have a double ensuite and i don't think i could handle the standard apartments...i like having my own bathroom and all that...
    tha sharing ensuites are not much more expensive and you only share with 1 person, and you have a shower...
    in a standard apartment, like i said, you share with 4-5 people per apartment and the bathroom includes a bath with a shower...
    I know people in the standards who haven't said anything other than there's no plaster on the walls...they're just brick wall. no one i know has complained about the bathroom status or anything.
    again, i really don't think i could go without my ensuite. Double Ensuite is the most expensive in Corrib, but it is definitely worth it if you can afford it. Any of the ensuites are really..
    Good Luck!
    Corrib is great craic and as a warning, it is usually as mental as expected. Room mates may not always be as you expected either. But it is possible to change apartments if you don't get on with them.

thanks a lot! :)

Posts deleted. No advertising accommodation here. Use daft, galway advertiser, or the third level accommodation forum here. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hongalway

hello people :)
    looking to book accomodation for the coming autumn and wondering which do ye think is better value?:
    1) live in corribvillage with 3 people i dont know and have all bills etc paid for before i go in
    or
    2) rent a house in the city centre and live with 3 of my friends but have to pay for bills etc. each month.

having to pay for bills each month just seems like a pain in the you know what but living with friends would really help, but on top of that, i hear great sories about corribvillage and i feel it sounds like its for me
    its just a question that overall, from sept - may, which would be better value?
    any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

hongalway wrote: »
    hello people :)
    looking to book accomodation for the coming autumn and wondering which do ye think is better value?:
    1) live in corribvillage with 3 people i dont know and have all bills etc paid for before i go in
    or
    2) rent a house in the city centre and live with 3 of my friends but have to pay for bills etc. each month.

Corrib all the way, best place for a first year to go. you'll make so many friends too! If you go live in a house in town with 3 friends you won't make half as many!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dunny5000

Thinking of applying for Corrib next year,

There's your first mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Clarke94

Hey everyone :)
    I'm hoping to head to Galway in September and I'm looking into applying for a place in Corrib Village soon. Does anyone have any tips/advice on Corrib village? Is there interviews held for places after you apply? And also, does anyone know how much the deposit is? I don't know anyone else going with me so I think Corrib Village would probably be the best place to get to know people?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Clarke94 wrote: »
    Hey everyone :)
    I'm hoping to head to Galway in September and I'm looking into applying for a place in Corrib Village soon. Does anyone have any tips/advice on Corrib village? Is there interviews held for places after you apply? And also, does anyone know how much the deposit is? I don't know anyone else going with me so I think Corrib Village would probably be the best place to get to know people?

Hers's a thread form over a year ago with some views on the place.....not sure if it is still current

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67817280

You may get more insight into the place if you enter Corrib village into the Search thread on the top of the threads list and follow the links from there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Does anyone know what date Corrib Village starts taking deposits?

Does anyone know what date Corrib Village starts taking deposits?

If that's what they refer to as the 1st moiety then it would seem to be 3 days from 1st CAO round offers.... I could be wrong tho'!!

That's what I'm taking from this link on the application
    http://www.corribvillage.com/pdf/Atalia%20Application%20Pack%202011-12.pdf

On second reading it's not very clear at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Yeah I've had a look at that before,the first moeity is the payment for 1st semester (i'm almost sure haha), i'm looking for what date the deposit can be put down,which guarantees you'll get the room you want etc there doesn't seem to be any certain date as far as i can see though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emmax1

hey I'm hoping to get into nuig in september and just looking at places to live. I was thinking corrib village since its the only on campus accomadation. But i've heard some pretty bad things about... is it bad there?
    I will be going to nuig by myself and won't know anyone at all, but I do want to make friends and have fun. Is corrib the best for first years, making friends and stuff or should I look for some place else?

I'm putting my deposit on Corrib tomorrow :)
    It could be put on it anytime from last week up until you sit the Leaving.
    http://www.corribvillage.com/student/apply_online.html

emmaxi - I'm heading up on my own aswell and I chose Corrib as its supposed to be the best place to stay in 1st year and apparently it's a really friendly place!

emmax1 wrote: »
    hey I'm hoping to get into nuig in september and just looking at places to live. I was thinking corrib village since its the only on campus accomadation. But i've heard some pretty bad things about... is it bad there?
    I will be going to nuig by myself and won't know anyone at all, but I do want to make friends and have fun. Is corrib the best for first years, ma
    king friends and stuff or should I look for some place else?

Look at Post #181 above where I posted a link to a past thread on Corrib Village..... Might be of use to you Emmax1:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 mriazi

hi! im a student from canada who just got into galway for medicine! does anyone know where most first years stay? ive heard corribb village but it doesnt look too nice so i would rather stay in gort na coiribe or cuirt na coiribe or amhra house, im just worried that ill be with a bunch of older students and wont make friends :(. does anyone know if you can request a room with all first years? any help/info greatly appreciated !! :D

Advertisement