Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Accommodation *No advertising. Read Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mriazi

hi everyone! im a high school senior from Canada who just got into medicine at nuig !! im super excited but i can't decide where to live (and reallyyyy need help lol). ive heard corribb village is where most first years stay, but it doesnt look too great and i feel like it would be really noisy and i need quiet to study. but i also like having fun :S
    im thinking either gort na coiribe, cuirt na coiribe or amhra house because theyre pretty close, but im worried that there wont be any first years there! and i want to make friends as i dont know a single person in ireland. does anyone know if i can request to be with first years in a residence? thanks in advance !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Gort na Coiribe is pretty decent. Corrib is a great place to make friends but it's mad busy so it might be tough to get working if you're doing medicine.

As for not knowing anyone, don't worry about it. Join clubs and societies when you arrive. There's MSF and Sláinte for Med students and everything from Comedy to Politics societies to keep you busy.
    You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Gort is a grand spot, so you might be fine. Corrib is not recommended if you are really hell bent on getting work done, although it's location is flawless. Speaking as someone who lives in Cuirt Na Coiribe at the moment, the apartments are grand, you could be lucky and get very good housemates, but there is also a large chance you can get some awful assholes for housemates too. The sound proofing in here is shocking too, so even if your housemates are doing their best to keep the noise levels down, such as trying not to let the door slam shut - that happens a lot too by the way - you will always end up hearing it.

You're boss as regards knowing what you want from the accommodation, so it's up to you, dude. Hope the information was of some help to you!

thank you everyone! i was planning on joining all the clubs and everything but its such a hard decision for accomodation because ive never even been to ireland let alone galway!

Nailz: are there any first years in cuirt? and i defs agree its all luck on who u get to spend a year with :p

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

Yes there are first years in Cuirt and you'll be put with other first years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ireland2520

Does anyone know where do medical students at NUIG usually stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Does anyone know where do medical students at NUIG usually stay?

The library.

oh phewww :)
    i was also wondering that too! but ive heard that being housemates with medical students is stressful especially around examtime. ill be a med student too though lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend accommodation that's a bit better if you want to get a fair bit of work done? I was going to apply for Corrib but so far everyone has just said it is great for parties.

Also, this is probably a stupid question, but can you stay in your accommodation at the weekends or do you have to go home? I only live in Dublin, but really couldn't afford going home every weekend. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

allydoyle wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone could recommend accommodation that's a bit better if you want to get a fair bit of work done? I was going to apply for Corrib but so far everyone has just said it is great for parties.

Also, this is probably a stupid question, but can you stay in your accommodation at the weekends or do you have to go home? I only live in Dublin, but really couldn't afford going home every weekend. Thanks. :)

Tbh there are lots of parties in most student accommodations.
    To be fair, Corrib can be quiet enough unless there's a block party on in your particular block.

Cuirt seems to be fairly quiet overall but the apparently paper thin walls means that you can pretty much hear your housemates full conversations from the next room!

Gort seems to be fairly noisy during the week but I'm living in a quiet corner of the estate so it's fine most of the time. Saying that though, I'd say it's pretty noisy living in one of the more central houses in Gort.
    Walls are slightly better than Cuirt for soundproofing too so that's a bonus.

Most of the student accommodations are dead quiet during the day and afternoon though, it's only around 8-9 when the parties start that you notice any noise.

Your lease in any of them runs from September to May and you're free to come and go as you please! You could even stay in them for Xmas day if you are that sad! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

So, I'm considering staying in either Gort Na Coiribe, or Corrib Village when I start 1st year in September, gonna ring Gort tomorrow and see what the whole booking situation is. They're apparently overwhelmed with applications so I'm gonna ring 'em and ask them a few questions, but I was wondering which one of the two you would recommend? There's two things that I reckon will influence my decision... #1 the craic! Is Corrib better than Gort for the first year? Or is there not much of a difference? Also internet speeds, what's the internet like? I heard Corrib is getting good internet soon or something like that :) I'm an internet addict so I'm gonna need it :P

Internet speeds in pretty much all student accommodation is woeful at peak times....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pinkdaisies

hey all, im a 19 year old who just got accepted into NUI Galway for medicine. anyone else out there like me? im looking for a roomate studying 1st year medicine to stay with. anyone interested? :)

Hey everyone. :)
    I was just wondering, I plan on applying for a few shared accommodations around NUIG and each one says that if I get a place and cancel it I lose €100 but if I don't get a place I'm fully refunded. So is it better to just apply for one place and hope for the best? And if I don't get it will there be places around that I can apply for in August? I'm fairly broke but would like to go to NUIG, and I'm not sure if I can afford losing out on a few hundred euro before I even get there if I get a place everywhere I apply.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BeGrandSure

hey so going into 2nd year nuig next year and was wondering what was the best /affordable places to stay quite near the college? dont have a car but walkable or buses near by? i was looking into menlo? any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I recommend Lower Salthill, Shantalla or City Center (increasing cost). If you are staying in Galway over the summer or even a month before college starts back you'll get a good selection of properties on daft.ie .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Friend of mine is looking for a spot just for the summer if anyone knows anywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 mellowinmycello

looking for a room in town that's really cheap! hoping to move in ASAP. if anyone know's of anywhere...post up here please? :D thank you! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wottimeisit

hi im thinking about going to dun na coiribe next year and was wondering what are the types and sizes of houses and apartments? are there many 3 and 2 people apartments or 5 people houses? and whether an apartment is nicer/cheaper, what experiences people have had with landlords etc, any additional helpful info would be great!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nomnom99

I know there's a waiting list atm, but was just wondering if me and my friend were to put our name on the waiting list what would our chances be of getting in?..Has anyone booked this late before and got a place?..*fingers crosse*:(

• Advertisement

can someone please help me decide? i really can't decide between cuirt na coiribe or dunaras. i've heard cuirt is a lot closer but dunaras has a shuttle bus (and google maps says they're both a 30 minute walk??) and dunaras is farther away from town and the city centre which is annoying but it does have a shutttle bus, but i think it would be more convenient to be closer. any input appreciated :)

nomnom99 wrote: »
    I know there's a waiting list atm, but was just wondering if me and my friend were to put our name on the waiting list what would our chances be of getting in?..Has anyone booked this late before and got a place?..*fingers crosse*:(

Really depends on what you're looking at. Since you're on a waiting list I'm going to assume you picked Corrib because that one seems to fill up quickily. But I just applied to Centrepoint a few days ago and received an email saying I got the room I wanted so if you can't get into Corrib there are still places in other student accommodation. :)

Really depends on what you're looking at. Since you're on a waiting list I'm going to assume you picked Corrib because that one seems to fill up quickily. But I just applied to Centrepoint a few days ago and received an email saying I got the room I wanted so if you can't get into Corrib there are still places in other student accommodation. :)

Centrepoint is a serious trek from college everyday.

Though funnily enough, a guy I know applied for corrib when the cao offers came out but it was totally booked out.
    Applied to Gort and managed to get a place because of a cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tweniebaby

mriazi wrote: »
    can someone please help me decide? i really can't decide between cuirt na coiribe or dunaras. i've heard cuirt is a lot closer but dunaras has a shuttle bus (and google maps says they're both a 30 minute walk??) and dunaras is farther away from town and the city centre which is annoying but it does have a shutttle bus, but i think it would be more convenient to be closer. any input appreciated :)

I'm staying in Cuirt this year and it never takes me 30mins to get to the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

tweniebaby wrote: »
    I'm staying in Cuirt this year and it never takes me 30mins to get to the college.

Crossing the bridge is lovely I bet during storms

Crossing the bridge is lovely I bet during storms

Yeah, it's not the best :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Am I a bit late to the party? My friend and I have been thinking about going into student accommodation but don't know where. We're willing to share a room if need be but, seeing as it's a bit late, is it unlikely we'll be placed together?

Disregarding Corrib Village, where would you suggest?

tweniebaby wrote: »

around how long does it take? cuirt seems really convenient because its right across a grocery store/shopping centre

mriazi wrote: »
    around how long does it take? cuirt seems really convenient because its right across a grocery store/shopping centre

Max was probably around 20mins but that's only on a really stormy day, as I said above the bridge is not fun on those days! But other than that it's about 10mins. Having the shopping centre is really handy, plus it's only around 15mins walk into town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 marthamartina

Hi, I am starting my masters in September but I am unsure where is best to get accommodation, because I rather live with other master students than undergrads

Advertisement