Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Accommodation *No advertising. Read Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 marthamartina

Hi I am starting my masters in september, Im 22 but I am clueless as where would be a good place for me to live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jackDmccarthy

starting in NUIG next September doing marine sciences, dont know one person lives in/going to college in galway, booked accommodation in corrib village.... good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Previous mentions in this forum

From what I heard it's great for 1st years, lots of social stuff going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm hopefully heading next year, and I've left it woeful late to book accommodation...does anyone know anything about Atlantis?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Hey,

Moving down to Galway in August or so to start a masters. Don't really know anyone, like the idea of living with a few like minded people, preferably MA students. Would like to get things sorted early enough as I'm weird like that. If anyone is interested, drop me a mail.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I'm hopefully heading next year, and I've left it woeful late to book accommodation...does anyone know anything about Atlantis?

my ex girlfriend lived there 2 years ago. The apartments are really nice, theres an aldi and dunnes store across the road and a subway, pizza place (cant remember what type) and off-license literally beside the apartments.

However (i think this is the case for all the apartments) each apartment has 2 bedrooms, one is a single and the other is a shared double room with two single beds (that has an ensuite bathroom). The single bedroom costs a fair bit more then the shared double. you pay for the room rather then the actual apartment (more or less).
    Also the bedroom doors cant be locked from the inside, only the outside.

Its a 15 minute walk to college and at least a good 25-30 minute walk into town

bear in mind i haven't set foot in those apartments in over 2 years so things might have changed, hoped that helped :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

the other is a shared double room with two single beds

AKA a twin room

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Your_Song

going into 2nd year next yr here and looking to share a house with people. Im 18 and a lad. Everyone I know is going to gort but it's to expensive for me. Will share with anyone really. Girls or lads. Hopefully up for a bit of craic though too ;) give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Can anyone give me some input with regards how easy or difficult it is get decent private accommodation in Upper Newcastle, I am looking to get as close to north campus as possible this year and I'll just like to know what's the likeliness of get just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Nailz wrote: »
    Can anyone give me some input with regards how easy or difficult it is get decent private accommodation in Upper Newcastle, I am looking to get as close to north campus as possible this year and I'll just like to know what's the likeliness of get just that.

Shouldn't be too difficult - they seem to be letting in any old riff-raff these days :P

There's loads of student accommodation in the area - Fairlands, Moyola, Hazel, Laurel, Corrib, Cherry Park, Greenfields, Tudor Lawns... you shouldn't have any difficulty finding somewhere within a ten minute walk of the college for a reasonable price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Ficheall wrote: »
    Shouldn't be too difficult - they seem to be letting in any old riff-raff these days :P

There's loads of student accommodation in the area - Fairlands, Moyola, Hazel, Laurel, Corrib, Cherry Park, Greenfields, Tudor Lawns... you shouldn't have any difficulty finding somewhere within a ten minute walk of the college for a reasonable price.
    Much appreciated, bar the riff-raff comment. ;) That's great, the one problem I might have with that is that I may only be able to start getting stuff sorted in terms of accommodation in July as it is pretty much impossible for me do get the time to look for a place this month, let alone travel to Galway to do it. Do good houses tend to go fast and early into the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Nailz wrote: »
    Much appreciated, bar the riff-raff comment. ;) That's great, the one problem I might have with that is that I may only be able to start getting stuff sorted in terms of accommodation in July as it is pretty much impossible for me do get the time to look for a place this month, let alone travel to Galway to do it. Do good houses tend to go fast and early into the summer?

End of July/early August will be grand to look for a house, it's what I've always done. Just keep an eye on Daft and the Advertiser for potential houses.

As Roland says, plenty of time. Just try to get onto it before the hordes of Leaving Cert students get their results/CAO offers/whatever. If you're looking to move in somewhere with people you know, you'll want to start looking that bit sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JadeLC2012

Lads, whats the story with student digs? Can't afford corrib or any of the like! would appreciate advice!

JadeLC2012 wrote: »
    Lads, whats the story with student digs? Can't afford corrib or any of the like! would appreciate advice!

For most digs, you stay with a family from Sunday night to Friday evening. All meals and bills are usually included. Expect to pay in the region of €140-160. I stayed in digs for first year. The landlady's kids were grown up (some places, the kids won't be) and her setup was that you paid less than other digs, but you just had to cook your own dinner, which was actually handy enough. Staying at weekends was extra.
    You can get a brilliant or a really crappy landlady. I've heard one where Monday's dinner used to be leftovers from her Sunday roast, and another where she'd give you the equivalent of 2-3 dinners for one meal as well as a packed lunch. It's pot luck what she's gonna be like really.
    It can be handy for first year if you're finding your feet as you don't have to worry about bills or keeping the fridge stocked. Though you can have stricter rules like no drink in the house or friends over. It depends on the landlady really.

RolandIRL wrote: »
    For most digs, you stay with a family from Sunday night to Friday evening. All meals and bills are usually included. Expect to pay in the region of €140-160. I stayed in digs for first year. The landlady's kids were grown up (some places, the kids won't be) and her setup was that you paid less than other digs, but you just had to cook your own dinner, which was actually handy enough. Staying at weekends was extra.
    You can get a brilliant or a really crappy landlady. I've heard one where Monday's dinner used to be leftovers from her Sunday roast, and another where she'd give you the equivalent of 2-3 dinners for one meal as well as a packed lunch. It's pot luck what she's gonna be like really.
    It can be handy for first year if you're finding your feet as you don't have to worry about bills or keeping the fridge stocked. Though you can have stricter rules like no drink in the house or friends over. It depends on the landlady really.

Thanks, when is the best time to get in contact? will I need to head up there are meet the landlady.. will she want to meet me? When do digs listings go up for the coming year? It would be great for first year i think, as the deposit alone for student accommodation is a bit steep!

JadeLC2012 wrote: »
    Thanks, when is the best time to get in contact? will I need to head up there are meet the landlady.. will she want to meet me? When do digs listings go up for the coming year? It would be great for first year i think, as the deposit alone for student accommodation is a bit steep!

I looked at digs after my CAO results came out in August. There's a digs list available on the college website. It's too early to go looking at the moment since the digs list won't be updated, that document's from last year. They might go up sometime in July, i think but not too sure. You should go up to view the houses and make sure they're not dumps, don't accept a place you haven't seen. You have to live there for the year so make sure it's what you want.

You could always go into private accommodation if you don't get a suitable digs. There's always plenty of places around galway. It comes with more responsibilities, but you have your own space and it usually ends up being cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Serious amount of c*ntish landlords on daft these days.
    What do they have against students?

ciano1 wrote: »
    Serious amount of c*ntish landlords on daft these days.
    What do they have against students?
    Are they **** just because they don't want students in their house? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Ficheall wrote: »
    Are they **** just because they don't want students in their house? :confused:

Yeah, why discriminate against an entire group of people?

Okay I can kind of understand why they wouldn't want first years in their houses (The state that some of the places in Corrib are left in are an indicator why)

• Advertisement

Just as you have discriminated against an entire group here:
    Okay I can kind of understand why they wouldn't want first years in their houses (The state that some of the places in Corrib are left in are an indicator why)

Just as you mightn't trust first years, final years might not trust students who are not in final year, and then "grown-ups", for want of a better word, might not trust any students at all.
    It may be unjustified, but why take the risk?

Don't say that, i'm heading into first year this year, and by the sounds of it, it's going to be hard to find somewhere where i can be comfortable! The fact that i know maybe two or three people already in the college is a killer, fingers crossed i'm one of the lucky ones and don't get painted with the same brush as past undergrads.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭xEmily2011

Your_Song wrote: »
    going into 2nd year next yr here and looking to share a house with people. Im 18 and a lad. Everyone I know is going to gort but it's to expensive for me. Will share with anyone really. Girls or lads. Hopefully up for a bit of craic though too ;) give me a shout.

hahah we might be looking for a 5th person....there's 2 guys and 2 girls already :L

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Michh

Am i too late to book into corrib?? I'm pretty much last minute EVERYTHING! do the houses fill up quickly or what?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Your_Song

xEmily2011 wrote: »
    hahah we might be looking for a 5th person....there's 2 guys and 2 girls already :L

sounds good, what yr are you in? PM me anyway if your still looking for a 5th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cracknafobia

Michh wrote: »
    Am i too late to book into corrib?? I'm pretty much last minute EVERYTHING! do the houses fill up quickly or what?!
    i havnt yet either tryed to book in on the website but its not working!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Michh

Michh wrote: »
    i havnt yet either tryed to book in on the website but its not working!

Yeah that happened me too but it's working for me now :) try it again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Johannes 14

Booked a sharing en-suite for the coming year. I don't know anyone going to Corrib Village so if anyone wants to make up the other half let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Caffman

Booked a sharing en-suite for the coming year. I don't know anyone going to Corrib Village so if anyone wants to make up the other half let me know!
    I might take ya up on that if you don't find anyone in the meantime! Gotta get this grant through first and see how much it's worth :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 marthamartina

is der any post grad blocks in the student accommodations, I’m just really confused on where I should book?

Advertisement