Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home improvement grant.

Options
  • 22-03-2011 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi there

Probably a long shot just wondering if anyone knows are there any home improvement grants that exist. I bought my own property (mortgage) but like a lot of people in Ireland now have little funds to carry out important jobs on the house. I need repair my kitchen roof which is a flat roof at the moment as it is leaking and I would imagine as it is so old the joists holding it up are now rotten. I now need to turn this into a pitched roof for a longer life span. The kitchen also has no insulation so therefore very cold in there this winter. Infact it was unbearable this year. My bathroom is just off the kitchen and really should be also moved upstairs for sanitary reasons as I dont think it is ideal having a bathroom just off the kitchen. This would mean the bathroom would need to be placed in the back bedroom of my house and a new bedroom built out on part of where the flat roof was and the remainder of the flat roof to be pitched. As I am on a low income with a partner who has a part time low income job and also with a 13 year old child I am finding it very difficult to find the means to carry out all of the necessary works myself. I am just starting my research this evening to see if there is any grants that I may be eligible for and wondered if you boardsies may have any information that might be helpful to me or if I should speak to any authorities where do I start?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

As far as I am aware, there are no grants available for the renovation works you outlined, except in the case of having to make improvements for a handicapped family member.

There are grants available for insulation, see www.seai.ie where you will find details, and an application form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Email citizens information detailing as much as possible. explain your case and they will send back a reply fairly rapid. there is a home improvemnet grant for the elderly not sure about your case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 colf

Thanks for the replies guys, on further research I think you may be right that there may not be anything available in my circumstances. I will however fire an email off to citizens information, you never know. If I do find out different I will be sure to let you know. The SEAI website will be a helpful read also. If I do manage to find the funds somewhere Im still going to need to insulate. I couldnt even imagine another cold winter in that kitchen. Thanks a mill for the help I really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,039 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Apart from the SEI grants Im not aware of any other grants available unless you were either disabled or pension age.

Edit/ There used to be an interest free loan available available from the local authorities for people on the housing list and who were upgrading old houses in lieu of being provided with a LA house. Not sure if thats still available though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

muffler wrote: »
    Apart from the SEI grants Im not aware of any other grants available unless you were either disabled or pension age.

Edit/ There used to be an interest free loan available available from the local authorities for people on the housing list and who were upgrading old houses in lieu of being provided with a LA house. Not sure if thats still available though.

There are some grants for home improvements available to both elderly people and people who are on social wellfare payment that meet the means test and criteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icbarros

If the building is a protected structure the following grants are also available:
    • Conservation Grant Assistance
    • Thatch Grant
    And further grant may be availabe from the Heritage Council for protected structures.

This can also be of interest to you - Green Equity Release finance option:
    http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/mortgages/green-equity-release/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

icbarros wrote: »
    If the building is a protected structure the following grants are also available:
    • Conservation Grant Assistance
    • Thatch Grant
    And further grant may be availabe from the Heritage Council for protected structures.

This can also be of interest to you - Green Equity Release finance option:
    http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/mortgages/green-equity-release/

I wouldnt touch bank of ireland over that scheme.

Great way to absolutely hammer you out of more money,and the fact that they keep on increasing banking fees and loan interest rates every few months too.So the customer keeps on getting screwed.

Advertisement