Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting skateboarding

Options
  • 22-03-2011 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Ok I know it's not exactly an extreme sport but I don't know where else I can post this. So I have a few questions;

Where can I get a decent but not overly pricey board? (Dublin)
    Any good spots in South Dublin to skate?
    Are skaters not friendly to beginners or what?
    And finally any tips you have would be appreciated ;)

Cheers
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Head to G1 on O'connell St.
    It's just beside Burger King, best spot for boards in Ireland really.

Bushy Park has a great skatepark for every level, from beginner to advanced, best of all it's free.
    Right beside the tennis courts so it's easy to find.

Skaters can be friendly or bastards really, just like anyone else. I've seen both sides but just talk to people and they should be grand once you're nice to them, just not overly nice.

Tips?
    Don't get your board wet, wear a protection if you're only starting from scratch and don't be afraid of falling. It just comes with the package really. :)

Deadly name, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

irelands largest selection and cheapest skateboards in the universe!!!:D

http://www.google.ie/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=1440&bih=785&q=skate+shop+ireland&aq=f&aqi=g1g-m1&aql=f&oq=&fp=85a18e9783cbc4a6

number 1 ;)

if you get in touch, we can look after you, our site has atons of info for all the skateparks in ireland, and links to all sorts of sites

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Forgot about you lads... You always come to mind when some one mentions bikes though.

Sure, go to the Boards.ie favorite. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭CrashBandicoot Girl

Thanks CianRyan for the help and the compliment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I think perfecting the ollie is the best thing to do before trying anything else.

• Advertisement

Got my board on Friday, have been trying to get used to cruising but Im failing :(

Any tips for cruising? And empty areas in South Dublin like a carpark or something and finally how long did it take for you to get used to it?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Marlay Park provides nice smooth tarmac path for basics and cruising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

what about north dublin any spots there , especially close to ashtown ? :P :P

• Registered Users Posts: 36 envirowill

Got my board on Friday, have been trying to get used to cruising but Im failing :(

Any tips for cruising? And empty areas in South Dublin like a carpark or something and finally how long did it take for you to get used to it?? :)

Look at places like marley park or large industrial areas to skate. I stopped skating around 8 years ago ( im 28 now )but I can remember it took me about a month of cruising to feel comfortable on the board. I used to skate in my school in the evening and weekends. To Ollie I started on grass, once I had that nailed I moved to Tarmac. Then eventually tried it while rolling. Took a couple months I think :-)

Im in San Francisco now and everyone skates. In fact I'm gonna head to a few skate shops and might get a board for old times sake! It'll be like starting over again :-)

envirowill wrote: »
    Look at places like marley park or large industrial areas to skate. I stopped skating around 8 years ago ( im 28 now )but I can remember it took me about a month of cruising to feel comfortable on the board. I used to skate in my school in the evening and weekends. To Ollie I started on grass, once I had that nailed I moved to Tarmac. Then eventually tried it while rolling. Took a couple months I think :-)

Im in San Francisco now and everyone skates. In fact I'm gonna head to a few skate shops and might get a board for old times sake! It'll be like starting over again :-)

That's cool thanks for the help and I wonder why everyone skates there?? Must be the good weather :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 spiderlover

How's the skating going...have you found anywhere to practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SweetEmpathy

Hope the skating is going well, I don't know much about the Dublin spots, but if you're around the Kilkenny area to skate; Kilkenny360 can sort you out. (KilkennyThreeSixty on facebook)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BAKER95

pm if you want and tell me what part of south dublin your in im in the southside too and i might have a few spots if there near you . for cruising you just gain confidence , balance and speed over practice and make sure you feet are in comfortable positions , somtimes the right shoes help balance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 SkateNutter

Irish based website selling skateboarding stuff http://www.SkateNutter.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DanielRamone25

Hey, sorry to invade that topic, i think could evade the main subject but.

I'm 19 from Brazil, I'll spent whole next July in Dublin to visit my sister who lives there. So, I want to know about nice places to skate in Dublin too.
    The best place to skate here in São Paulo have a lot of ppl, don't know if you guys heard about the Paulista Av.
    I don't want to spend my whole time hanging out with my sister, 'cuz she have her husband and we've got a big age difference, we don't like the same places.
    I want to know if ppl there are receptive with foreigners, 'cuz I thing the best way to know a city is meeting native ppl and I like to met ppl, I made a lot of friends skating here in SP, i just want to know more about the skate scene and stuff in Dublin...

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BAKER95

Hey, sorry to invade that topic, i think could evade the main subject but.

I'm 19 from Brazil, I'll spent whole next July in Dublin to visit my sister who lives there. So, I want to know about nice places to skate in Dublin too.
    The best place to skate here in São Paulo have a lot of ppl, don't know if you guys heard about the Paulista Av.
    I don't want to spend my whole time hanging out with my sister, 'cuz she have her husband and we've got a big age difference, we don't like the same places.
    I want to know if ppl there are receptive with foreigners, 'cuz I thing the best way to know a city is meeting native ppl and I like to met ppl, I made a lot of friends skating here in SP, i just want to know more about the skate scene and stuff in Dublin...

Thanks!

i know a few places , if you want we can meet up in july and skate somwhere

Advertisement