Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops you remember from your childhood (Ennis)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

McConkey wrote: »
    Some of the newer ones-from the 80's (and 90's):

Ado's betting office?
    Varden's....used to do supplies for dairy farmers in the market.
    Dillingers
    I remember Dillingers well, they used to have great bands playing there. I thought Varden's Veterinary was situated next to "Greenacres" in Cornmarket Street/Mill Road???

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I remember Dillingers well, they used to have great bands playing there. I thought Varden's Veterinary was situated next to "Greenacres" in Cornmarket Street/Mill Road???

Yeah, I am mixing it up....there was a shop that sold equipment/hardwear/meds for dairy farmers along the side of where Dillingers used to be, there was a shop selling and repairing watches next door. Varden's was up where you mention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

I have been racking my brains over the past few days and I have come up with some more old businesses that used to operate in Ennis.

IMCO Cleaners and Dyers, High St.

Ml. O' Grady, Supermarket, ( Knox's) Abbey St.

Redicans B&B, ( Mrs Quin's Charity Shop ), O' Connell St.

Malone's Butchers ( now OTT Clothing) , O' Connell St.

Phil Quinn, Hairdresser, Chapel Lane

Paddy Smith, Grocer, Carmody St.

Guiton's Sweet Shop, Market St.

Carmody's Confectionary, Upper Market St.

Leyden's Pub, ( Now Patrick's ) Upper Market St.

Scanlon's Pub ( now The Usual Place ) Upper Market St.

The Banner Arms, Upper Market St.

Vincent Neylon, Butcher, Parnell St.

Tommy Brennan, Butcher, Lower Market St.

Gaiety Cinema ( Now Dunnes Stores ) O' Connell St.

Burren Cinema ( now Maddens Furniture ) Station Road

New Hall Ballroom, later The Jet Club, know locally as ' Paddy Con's ' ( now Maddens Furniture ) Station Road.

Hanrahan's Supermarket, St. Michael's Villas.

Francie Halloran, Frozen Foods, Turnpike Road

Moody & Broderick, Garage, Kilrush Road.

The Rock Filling Station ( Lucey's ) Lahinch Road.

Harry Winston, Irish Rough Diamonds, Hermitage ( The Diamond Factory )

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Carmodys confectionary used to do the most divine cakes - The most vivid childhood memory I have is picking off the sponge bisucuits from the outside of a peach cream spongey cake.

I was gutted when they closed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

I love looking through this thread....It makes me feel really young because i havent a notion about most of the shops and business's that have been mentioned :D
    Great thread though

• Advertisement

I love looking through this thread....It makes me feel really young because i havent a notion about most of the shops and business's that have been mentioned :D
    Great thread though
    Ah you must be a blow in to these parts :D:D:D

Claregirl wrote: »
    Carmodys confectionary used to do the most divine cakes - The most vivid childhood memory I have is picking off the sponge bisucuits from the outside of a peach cream spongey cake.

I was gutted when they closed :(
    I completely forgot about Carmody's until you mentioned it. They were situated where Crisdare is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

I was visiting Ennis over the weekend and I was shocked to see the number of shops that have closed down.

Keanes (Sweet shop) O'Connell Street
    )

Ah yes I remember this one. Mary Keane would sell the sweets loose out of little tin cans which would be used later used for milk. She had Brandy balls, bulls eyes, clove rock to name but a few. Kids used to love that shop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Ah you must be a blow in to these parts :D:D:D

Townie born and bred and proud of it!!!!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 breeann

Quality cleaners on Newbridge road, Mulqueen's bakery in Parnell St. Monahan's bakery Parnell St. Mary's Fabrics Parnell St.

• Advertisement

breeann wrote: »
    Quality cleaners on Newbridge road, Mulqueen's bakery in Parnell St. Monahan's bakery Parnell St. Mary's Fabrics Parnell St.
    I remember these businesses, was Mary's Fabrics opposite the friary or maybe it was "Fabric Nouveau? if my memory serves me right, Mary Meere ran that business and she used to have fabulous creations in the window. I remember being a young student and marvelling at the beautiful Debs dresses on display in her shop :)

Now that I think of it there was a fabric shop at the bottom of Parnell Street, which was run by Mary Galvin nee Kelly, maybe that is the shop you are referring to.

Showing my age now :-) Lipton's and Five Star Abbey St.
    Just a thought how did the streets of Ennis get their names, sorry to go off topic:cool:

Mary's fabrics was across from Mulqueen's Bakery then she moved to Francis St.

Dan Gaffney's shop on the Lifford Rd. Seery's on the Tulla Rd. just before the bridge ?

Just a thought how did the streets of Ennis get their names, sorry to go off topic:cool:
    Abbey Street - because of the Franciscan Abbey
    O'Connell Street - because Daniel O'Connell addressed the people of Clare at a rally in the Square (O'Connell's Square)
    Parnell Street - after Charles Steward Parnell

Keane's shop on the Lifford Rd. Traver's chip shop Abbey St. before my time I have to admit:D

Abbey Street - because of the Franciscan Abbey
    O'Connell Street - because Daniel O'Connell addressed the people of Clare at a rally in the Square (O'Connell's Square)
    Parnell Street - after Charles Steward Parnell

Thank you so much Mrs D.
    Just a blow in of 45years but Azheimers setting in:confused:

Keane's shop on the Lifford Rd. Traver's chip shop Abbey St. before my time I have to admit:D
    I think these are ones I'm going to have to ask my dad about :)

Anybody remember Clonroad before Tesco was build. The FCA had their training grounds there. I remember a big wall between Brook's Studio and the Holy Family School

The only thing I remember before Tesco is Quinnsworth :D Brooks Studio has always been situated in Clonroad as far as I'm aware, that is a long way away from the Holy Family School :confused:???

• Advertisement

Not too far really, because Park Avenue is build on Holy Family grounds,this was the field that used to flood when the winter came and linked to the cinema in O'Connel St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Have an inkling Brooks' Studio was once long ago in Abbey Street, beside O'Donnell's sports gear shop? The name was kept over the sweet shop run by Beatrice Foley. Fantastic 99s!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

God, this is bringing back fantastic memories!!
    What was the sweet shop on the New Road; in one of the small houses/cottages just up from the fire station?
    And the little swwet shop on Chapel Lane?
    Born in the 70`s so all I was buying in the 80`s was sweets - very important purchases!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

McConkey wrote: »
    Yeah, I am mixing it up....there was a shop that sold equipment/hardwear/meds for dairy farmers along the side of where Dillingers used to be

Kealderra Farm Supplies I think.

crazyguy01 wrote: »
    God, this is bringing back fantastic memories!!
    What was the sweet shop on the New Road; in one of the small houses/cottages just up from the fire station?
    And the little swwet shop on Chapel Lane?
    Born in the 70`s so all I was buying in the 80`s was sweets - very important purchases!!:D

As far as I can remember, the sweet shop on New Road was Metcalfe's.

Webster's Grocery, Church St. ( Now Abbey St.)

Interesting that you should mention ' Webster's, which became the ' Five Star ' supermarket in the 60s, the first modern supermarket to open in Ennis. On the opening day, they had to call the guards to control the crowds of housewives who came looking for bargains. Today, if you look over O' Connell's Medical Hall, you can still see the name ' Websters' on the wall.

anyone mention Mc Guane's shoe shop in the market It was knocked down & is now a derelict site beside O'Connor's also Malone's Forge down where the new bridge at the hostel is.There was a little grocery shop near McGuane's in the market called Pappy Malone's

anyone mention Mc Guane's shoe shop in the market It was knocked down & is now a derelict site beside O'Connor's also Malone's Forge down where the new bridge at the hostel is.There was a little grocery shop near McGuane's in the market called Pappy Malone's

there was a pub known as "dunkirk" across from the queens hotel,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭maryb26

Was told it was called dunkirk (after WW2 evacuation) because there was only one way in and one way out. If the Gardai came calling one was in trouble. The owners were known and addressed as Mr + Mrs Dunkirk despite that not being their surname.

Advertisement