Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops you remember from your childhood (Ennis)

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

maryb26 wrote: »
    Was told it was called dunkirk (after WW2 evacuation) because there was only one way in and one way out. If the Gardai came calling one was in trouble. The owners were known and addressed as Mr + Mrs Dunkirk despite that not being their surname.

There was a "bowler Duggan" who sold crubeens in Chapel Lane into the 60'sAlso in Chapel Lane was Paddy Hewitt's paper shop.I'm a blow-in, but the source of my information is certainly not!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭seekers

does anybody remember the Meatloaf gig at the showgrounds in Ennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Ah stop!!! I was grounded for it, never forget it!!

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Abbey Street - because of the Franciscan Abbey
    O'Connell Street - because Daniel O'Connell addressed the people of Clare at a rally in the Square (O'Connell's Square)
    Parnell Street - after Charles Steward Parnell

I think the street names were changed in 1910, there was a proposal to name the then mill street to river street or fergus street, this was then changed to Parnell street in honour of Charles Stewart Parnell so all the street names were changed at the same time. You can still see the old names on the Lawrence collection photographs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Did anyone mention Marys of Ennis? I'm only 17 though :D

• Advertisement

Marys of Ennis- an institution in its own time a great spot for wondering who was going in there next. a bigger supermacs, mcdonalds. Don't forget the new Beehive seems to be (Bee) history as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Sadly, the way things are going it will be shops you remember from last year. The number of vacant units is growing by the week. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Before Marys of Ennis was in that building it was part of the Ennis Cash Company? They used have weighing scales at the bottom of the stairs and I think they sold shoes upstairs? Parents used get me my slippers in there maybe. Memory is hazy. I seem to remember it being pretty big so it was a good place to dash about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Before Marys of Ennis was in that building it was part of the Ennis Cash Company? They used have weighing scales at the bottom of the stairs and I think they sold shoes upstairs? Parents used get me my slippers in there maybe. Memory is hazy. I seem to remember it being pretty big so it was a good place to dash about.
    I remember my granny used to take me to the Cash Company as a very young child. The one thing that stands out for me was they didn't seem to have proper cash registers and the staff used to write docket after docket after docket :D:D For anyone who is too young to remember the store, it would remind you of the store in "Are you being served?".

aybs1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

i used to love the cash company (where cassidys pharmacy is)
    used to buy my knitting supplies for school in there also got my first pair of hec tick toc clark shoes (they had the ball game on the sole of them)!!!
    by the way where used cassidys be?i cant remember

also got my first colaiste uniform in griffins (beside mcmahons in the height)

loved the 1 pound coffee in the derrynane, great view of the boys passing........

loved getting penny sweets before school in mary kellys before running down the lane to st ita's (part of the holy family)

• Advertisement
Advertisement