Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard Advice Needed

Options
  • 22-03-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

I am thinking of upgrading my PC and am presently considering an Intel i5 2500K processor, motherboard and suitable RAM. Other components are not required.

It seems the more I read the more confused I become :(

If I am incorrect in the following hopefully someone with info can correct me .......

I am not a 'gamer' (but would like an entry level gamer graphic capability) but do quite a bit of video encoding and such, and now require something that is powerful enough for HD video.

The choice of motherboard - having decided I think on the 2500K CPU - is what has me rather confused. As I understand it the motherboard I require is a H67 as opposed to a P67 in order to get the most out of the graphics capabilities of the CPU.

For a mothervoard I would want at least two PCI slots and only one PCI-e ...... more PCI would be even better, as I have some legacy stuff I would like to use if possible.

I have failed to find a 'H' motherboard in full ATx ..... have found a few MicroATx boards.

So the questions are ...... is my understanding of the requirement of the 'H67' over the 'P67' correct?

If so can someone suggest an ATX motherboard suitable for the 2500K CPU?

BTW, having read here about a German Hardware site I did some comparisons of price, and have decided that I am comfortable paying a few euros extra to Komplett if the products are available there. The difference in pricing between the two on the items I looked at was in the region of €20 - delivered. As Komplett have a presence in Ireland, and I have dealt with them previously, I am comfortable dealing with them.

Thanks for any suggestions made ;)

regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

You can pair a H67 mobo with a i5 2500k. The P chipset does not use the built in graphics in the cpu, instead it allows you to overclock a 'K' processor. The K and non-k are pretty much the same, differences include lack of virtualisation technology options(running virtual machines), trusted execution in the K version

You wouldnt be able to play modern games at any kind of high quality settings with the built in graphics, I would recommend getting a cheapish graphics card.

Gigabyte full atx H67 board (dont know if Aria ship to Ireland):
    http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/Intel+1155+H67+%28B3%29/Gigabyte+GA-PH67-UD3+Intel+H67+%28REV+B3%29+Socket+1155+DDR3+PCI-Express+Motherboard+?productId=43873

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Oh wait, no graphics out on that board :o

Graphics outputs on this one (3 pci slots as well):
    Gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H-B3
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/258684

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Stock is low all around with the 1155 boards.

P67 = Overclocking, no use of processor graphics. Need a dedicated card. Overclocking is very easy and pays off with the 2500K.

H67 = No overclocking. You can use graphics on the CPU. You do not need a dedicated card. However, if you have any gaming in mind, you'd really need a dedicated card, making the pro of the CPU graphics useless. Most of these are mATX because they are generally aimed at lighter use or PCs on for a long time.
    scan.co.uk have a few ATX boards in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks for the replies ;)

It does seem strange to have a 2500K CPU and not even have the option of the graphics on those 'P' boards.
    Oh well I guess space must be a consideration ......

The 2500K seems to have better graphics capabilites than the 2500 (3000 Vs 2000 I think), in addition to its overclocking ability.
    Not being presently interested in overclocking, it was the graphics that attracted me to the 'K' as opposed to the standard chip.

Thanks for the pointer to Scan ..... its been some years since I bought there.
    I may just wait a while and see if Komplett get full ATx 'H' boards in.

Thanks again for the responses and clarification.

regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Thanks for the replies ;)

It does seem strange to have a 2500K CPU and not even have the option of the graphics on those 'P' boards.
    Oh well I guess space must be a consideration ......

The 2500K seems to have better graphics capabilites than the 2500 (3000 Vs 2000 I think), in addition to its overclocking ability.
    Not being presently interested in overclocking, it was the graphics that attracted me to the 'K' as opposed to the standard chip.

Thanks for the pointer to Scan ..... its been some years since I bought there.
    I may just wait a while and see if Komplett get full ATx 'H' boards in.

Thanks again for the responses and clarification.

regards.

There is a new chipset coming out around may called the Z68 that will allow both CPU overclocking and use of integrated graphics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Hopefully we'll see some Z68s in mini-ITX boards.

If you are getting a dedicated card, you might as well go for the P67 at present. The 2500K does overclock really easily with very little extra heat and stock cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Monotype wrote: »
    Hopefully we'll see some Z68s in mini-ITX boards.

If you are getting a dedicated card, you might as well go for the P67 at present. The 2500K does overclock really easily with very little extra heat and stock cooling.

But he won't get quick sync which is very fast at encoding HD Video.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I think a mATx board might be sufficient for my needs, having considered again the main use - video encoding as well as usual run of the mill use.
    I will have no need for a separate video card for my use I believe.
    So a H67 and 2500K seems to be the route for me to take.

Thanks again for all the info .

regards.

Advertisement