Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naturesnenu

• 22-03-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people think of it? I love it for the dogs - Gunnar who is a very fussy eater just loves it.

The only thing is the protein concentration is only 12% - does anyone else find that very low (esp. given it's raw meat!).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

More than 80% of it is moisture, it's in it's natural state. Dry dogfood is processed and dehydrated which is why it's higher in protein and you only feed a tiny percentage of the amount you'd feed on a raw diet. The dog will also have to drink a lot more water on dry food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

How does this work out for you, is it very expensive?
    I took a quick look a few weeks ago but wasn't sure how much it would cost, didn't seem to be a clear price/weight to work it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Thanks AJ - I suppose when it is better quality protein it doesn't make such a difference?

Mymo - it works out about the same for me. I spend about 25/30 per week feeding two dogs (1 grown up and one puppy). When the pup gets bigger and his food intake levels off I expect it will get a bit cheaper.
    I find it good value especially as my grown dog is very fussy and he loves this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I haven't heard of this brand - can you tell me more about it and where I can get it?
    I have the fussiest dog that God ever put on earth! Would love to find her something that made her run to the bowl at feed time.
    Both my dogs are currently on Royal Canin - how does it compare to this in terms of quality? My vet recommends Royal Canin so I am/was assuming I am feeding them the best there is available???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Thanks Jen_23, can I ask what size dogs?
    I assume large at that price, my two are small and medium size and its working out about €35 a month on Royal Canin.
    Neither of mine are very fussy but one has had reactions to every food I tried, he was doing great on the royal canin but the last month not so well (think they may have changed the recipe slightly). Hoping something like naturesmenu would be good for him.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Cant decide whether to change my guys onto Natures Menu or not. One is going going to be 50-55kgs fully grown and the other 65-70kgs, so wondering is it going to be too expensive to feed them. Not to mention that the only people I know who stock it locally are a crowd that I'm not giving my money to, no matter what they're selling.
    Any chance they do home delivery, does anyone know, because I would like to give it a shot for a week or two and see how they get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Shazanne wrote: »
    I haven't heard of this brand - can you tell me more about it and where I can get it?
    I have the fussiest dog that God ever put on earth! Would love to find her something that made her run to the bowl at feed time.
    Both my dogs are currently on Royal Canin - how does it compare to this in terms of quality? My vet recommends Royal Canin so I am/was assuming I am feeding them the best there is available???
    Shazanne they have a website which lists their stockists - http://www.foodforpets.ie. Where are you based?
    The food is a commerical version of the BARF diet - the BARF diet is raw food based ie raw meat etc. The diet is based on what your dogs ancestors would have eaten in the wild. I came across it when Gunnar would not eat as a young pup and he has put on great condition with the barf. The natures menu is very handy but you need freezer space.
    There is info here on the diet - http://www.barfworld.com/.
    What I like about it is you control the additives, preservatives and meats your dog gets. Alot of commercial foods contain controversial chemicals which I don't like or meat "derivatives" which have turned out in the past to be from dogs/cats/animals from pounds that were put down and sent off to rendering plants (a study was done in the states on this). Trace amounts of the euthanasia drug were found in several brands of commercial dried dog food. When the ingredients mention "meat" and not specifically chicken, lamb etc they can put in what they like really.

I had Gunnar on Royal canin whilst trying to get him to eat as a pup and he came out on horrendous hot spots from an allergy to the food. I think it was just over complicated for him with too many things in it - he thrives on the natures menu :)
    mymo wrote: »
    Thanks Jen_23, can I ask what size dogs?
    I assume large at that price, my two are small and medium size and its working out about €35 a month on Royal Canin.
    Neither of mine are very fussy but one has had reactions to every food I tried, he was doing great on the royal canin but the last month not so well (think they may have changed the recipe slightly). Hoping something like naturesmenu would be good for him.
    Hey Mymo - I have samoyeds. My grown one is 31Kg and the little one is still growing so eating me out of house and home - lol!

My big guy has awful allergies between wheat, yeast and pollen :rolleyes:
    Alot of grains can cause allergies - whenever he gets a bad flare up though I find piriton is great. Luckily now it just seems to be the pollen giving him the allergies!
    It's quite possible the ingredients were changed on the royal canin or atleast the quantities. With commercial dried foods there does tend to be batch to batch variation. I know of several people whos dogs were perfectly fine on a brand of food but would get sick tums when opening a new bag.

Shanao wrote: »
    Cant decide whether to change my guys onto Natures Menu or not. One is going going to be 50-55kgs fully grown and the other 65-70kgs, so wondering is it going to be too expensive to feed them. Not to mention that the only people I know who stock it locally are a crowd that I'm not giving my money to, no matter what they're selling.
    Any chance they do home delivery, does anyone know, because I would like to give it a shot for a week or two and see how they get on with it.
    Wow big babies! What breed are they?
    There is a rep who I know does housecalls and he also seems to do a discount if you buy in bulk. A friend of mine buys hers in bulk from him as she has a few dogs and it works out reasonable enough. His name is on the foodforpets website under the contacts tab.
    I was very lucky as I was like you - there is a pet shop that stocks the food but I don't agree with their treatment of animals - I send my puppy to daycare and the girl that runs it stocks the food so it was a lucky coincidence for me :)))

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

(Hi Jen!!)

I love love love natures menu!! My two huskys are on it and im so glad i found it!!

They were on a barf diet too, but its so confusing that all their poos were never pretty ;)

They're on natures menu now about 2 months and flying it!!!

Ive convinced lots of the doggie daycare dogs owners to put their dogs on it too. We've a great dane that had rashes on and off for months which have cleared off, westies with itchy skin thats cleared up, and fussy eaters that now have to have their empty bowl taken off them because they wont stop licking it!!!

What I find is that when i waffle on at customers about how amazing it is they think im mad, then they come back a week later and waffle on at me about the improvement in their dogs!!!

Here's a clip of my pup daisy having her dins, you can see what the food looks like and how much she loves it!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNqsZkDvqBI

By the way, have a look at the price of your bag of premium dog food, I know most 15kg bags are around €65, whereas 15kg of natures menu is just €44.85.

They also do all natural pouches and tins, again no additives but the food is cooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

(Hi Jen!!)

By the way, have a look at the price of your bag of premium dog food, I know most 15kg bags are around €65, whereas 15kg of natures menu is just €44.85.

They also do all natural pouches and tins, again no additives but the food is cooked.

You forgot to mention that you have to feed more on any sort of RAW diet than you would commercial food ;) eg. my dog weighs just over 6kg and eats about 80g per day, she's on Burns. 2% of her bodyweight is a bit more than 120g if she were on a RAW diet, except I suspect she would need a bit more than 2%.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

My two were on a raw diet before natures menu, so for me it works out much cheaper, its been a while since I fed a dog kibble, so not sure how much per day they would need in dry food.

• Advertisement
Advertisement