Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next Ireland Manager after Trap

• 22-03-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭

It may be sooner than alot of us think. Do you think the FAI has thought about who they will look to replace him with when the time comes?

You could infer that Tardelli will get the job but tbh i'm not so sure.

Other names who would obviously would be linked would be anyone with Irish connections, Mick McCarthy, Dave O'Leary, Owen Coyle, Brian McDermott, Sean O'Driscoll etc....

I'd take Owen Coyle in a heartbeat, but he is a young manager with a career at a big club in front of him so he can almost be automatically ruled out.

Personally, I think Martin O'Neill might have a crack at it. His stock has fallen somewhat in the EPL and he would be a good international manager I reckon.

What are you thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Jayob10 wrote: »
    It may be sooner than alot of us think. Do you think the FAI has thought about who they will look to replace him with when the time comes?

Other names who would obviously would be linked would be anyone with Irish connections, Mick McCarthy, Dave O'Leary, Owen Coyle, Brian McDermott, Sean O'Driscoll etc....

I'd take Owen Coyle in a heartbeat, but he is a young manager with a career at a big club in front of him so he can almost be automatically ruled out.

Personally, I think Martin O'Neill might have a crack at it. His stock has fallen somewhat in the EPL and he would be a good international manager I reckon.

What are you thoughts?

Just out of curiousity, what makes you say that it will be sooner than many of us think?!

If I was to place a wager I would back Tardelli.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Pat Dolan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Jose Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Roy Keane

*hides*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Mick McCarthy:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What are you thoughts?

I'm not so sure this is the case. Houllier's mediocrity at Villa has proven the impact of O'Neill on their success.

I've heard rumours of McCarthy coming back and I don't think that'd be too bad an outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Just out of curiousity, what makes you say that it will be sooner than many of us think?!

If I was to place a wager I would back Tardelli.

To be honest with you, I can see our qualification campaign tailing off. Failure to be in the mix for qualification come the last couple of games will seal his fate I reckon.

Couple that with the fact that supporters will not tolerate dire football if the results are poor too.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Roy Keane

*hides*

Stephen Ireland

*hides behind Lukker*

I'm not so sure this is the case. Houllier's mediocrity at Villa has proven the impact of O'Neill on their success.

I've heard rumours of McCarthy coming back and I don't think that'd be too bad an outcome.

Would not be against McCarthy's return either, he has proven himself to be a resilient character and Wolves show alot of fighting quality.

Mick would also have a grasp of the landscape of Irish football and players too.

Fair point in relation to O'Neill at Villa, however I think he has ambitions above a club like Villa, and i'm not sure he would have the drive to take on a mid level EPL club with no ambition. He will not get a job at any of the top 6 clubs, that ship has sailed for him.

The opportunity to build a new Irish team from scratch may hold some appeal for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Papa smut!

*hides behind* "OH SHÍT" *Runs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Stephen Ireland

*hides behind Lukker*

Paul McShane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

bradlente wrote: »
    Jose Mourinho.

I still think Pep Guardiola would be a better option for us.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Roy Keane

I'm honestly going to put following Ireland on hold for the duration if he ever gets the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Others would argue that the failings of Villa this season can be somewhat attributed to the fact that O'Neill left behind an aging squad, with mediocre players on hefty wages.. similar to how he left Celtic.

Having said that, O'Neill could be a success at international level where the purchasing of players is obviously not a factor. Villa played a nice brand of football, and were realtively successful during that period.

Chris Hughton would be my preferred choice. The likes of O'Leary and Brady will surely be mentioned in connection with the job too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Chris Hughton would be my first choice.. Nearly anybody who has a good knowledge of the leagues in Britain and attends the games! It shouldnt be hard to pick our best 11 players but Trap struggles with this. Not Tardelli hes just a younger Trap:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

David O'Leary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Glenn Hoddle.

Whatever I might think about him on a personal level, I think his reading and analysis of top level football is amongst the best.

Whoever takes over will have a potentially fantastic young bunch of players to pick from and we need someone who is a good coach to bring the best out of them.

Maybe Hughton with Hoddle would be ideal.

SK1979 wrote: »
    Glenn Hoddle.

If he got the job he'd be too distracted by trying to work out what Paul McShane did in his previous life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Would not be against McCarthy's return either, he has proven himself to be a resilient character and Wolves show alot of fighting quality.

Mick would also have a grasp of the landscape of Irish football and players too.

Fair point in relation to O'Neill at Villa, however I think he has ambitions above a club like Villa, and i'm not sure he would have the drive to take on a mid level EPL club with no ambition. He will not get a job at any of the top 6 clubs, that ship has sailed for him.

The opportunity to build a new Irish team from scratch may hold some appeal for him

In fairness if he has ambitions above the Villa job, unlikely he would take the Ireland job with all due respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

bonerm wrote: »
    I'm honestly going to put following Ireland on hold for the duration if he ever gets the job.

Why? Haven't forgiven him for Saipan or you just think he'll be incredibly shit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Being not as crap as houllier is hardly a glowing reference.:)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    In fairness if he has ambitions above the Villa job, unlikely he would take the Ireland job with all due respect.

Thats club football though, he will not find a job more attractive than Villa. international football would provide him with a new challenge he may relish

Agreed. I think international football is only for 3 kinds of managers these days:
    1) young managers looking to put their face in the shop window.
    2) old pros looking for something more relaxed to ease them out to retirement.
    3) guys who haven't an asses chance at getting offered a premiership (or equivalent level) gig.

Why? Haven't forgiven him for Saipan or you just think he'll be incredibly shit?

Both.

SK1979 wrote: »
    Glenn Hoddle.

Whatever I might think about him on a personal level, I think his reading and analysis of top level football is amongst the best.

Whoever takes over will have a potentially fantastic young bunch of players to pick from and we need someone who is a good coach to bring the best out of them.

Maybe Hughton with Hoddle would be ideal.

Wouldn't want Hoddle as Ireland manager, but I strongly agree with you in relation to his analysis and reading of the game at the top level. He is an excellent coach but a poor manager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I'd be cool with Hughton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Steve Staunton

Steve Staunton

"The Gaffer" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It will be Tardelli, I am almost certain of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

People will probably accuse me of only saying this about Hughton because of his Newcastle connections, but I honestly believe he'd be a disaster as Ireland manager.

You can say that he completely turned Newcastle around but IMO, he only did exactly what should have been expected and gained promotion after inheriting a squad that was arguably the best ever to be in the Championship with Premier League standard players such as Collocini, Enrique, Nolan and Barton to name a few, all the way through the side. Nolan and Barton are very experienced players and I believe they had a huge amount of influence.

He didn't deserve the sack, he deserved another run of games at least, but Newcastle had only won two home games in the Premier League under his management and had only gained 2 points from a possible 15 when he was sacked.

The real test of his capabilities will come when he goes back into management at what I think will be Championship level where he'll have a squad nowhere near as good as the one he had at Newcastle. Then we'll see how good he really is.

Someone with more experience would be ideal, preferably international experience too but that isn't completely necessary IMO.

I wouldn't mind seeing McCarthy back at all, or us go for someone like Allardyce. However, it will be hard to get managers like that as the probability is that they will be in club employment which is much more lucrative and preferential. International management doesn't have the same lure any more as it once did, for example McLeish left the Scotland job for the Birmingham job.

Who would I like? McCarthy, O'Neill (although I suspect he'd want to go back into club management), Allardyce (was dying to get the England job so might like a shot at international management), someone like that.

Who's more realistic for The FAI? Tardelli, Brady, or unfortunately Venables.

I think it will be Tardelli though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I'd like Chris Hughton to get it but I'd like him to get some more club management under his belt first

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

How long is Trap contracted for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

How long is Trap contracted for?

Until after the 2012 Euro's as far as I can see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

"The Gaffer" :)

The buck stops with him!

I'd say it'll be Tardelli, but wouldnt be against big Mick coming back either.

Gillington wrote: »
    Until after the 2012 Euro's as far as I can see

October 11th so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Some people on this thread are either delusional or just illinformed.

Martin O'Neill will never manage a top four club (in the EPL) or equivalent. While I think he would make a good Irish manager, as he can get decent results out of bad players, he is not a top quality club manager. As someone else stated, he brings in mediocre players, pays them ridiculous money gets decent results and quits when he realises he can't take the club on any further.

If anybody wants to bet me that MON will manage the a top four team in the English Premiership, PM me and we can discuss odds...

I would like to see Houghton as the next Irish manager, but alternatively and preferably I'd like to see an Irish youth team dominating on the international stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Des has a winning pedigree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Col. Gaddafi might be out of a job soon ;)

In all seriousness I think probably Chris Hughton will get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Phil Babb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Tardelli? Hell no, he is just a younger Trap.Would love to see the Hughton-Hoddle partnership mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Chris Hughton would be my first choice.. Nearly anybody who has a good knowledge of the leagues in Britain and attends the games! It shouldnt be hard to pick our best 11 players but Trap struggles with this. Not Tardelli hes just a younger Trap:mad:

+1. Hughton would be my 1st choice. Knowledge of the leagues and attending games regularly should be a given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I had a nightmare a month ago about Alan Pardew being next in line :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Brian Kerr back anyone?

Or how about John, Liam and Eamon?

Or pay for Sadlier's badges and get him in the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Mick McCarthy or Steve Coppell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Mick McCarthy
    Tony Cascarino...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Tony Cascarino...

It's a done deal.:D

Would Big Mick come back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Some1 cheap r Some1 crazy Ha Ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Irish job is going to be a nightmare for whoever take over next. Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane will all be gone, 4 of our better players and most importantly for Given and Keane we don't seem to have anyone who can take their place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Tardelli is doing a lot of work for the team anyway, so wouldn't be surprised if he gets it. He'd follow on from Trap's work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement