Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next Ireland Manager after Trap

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Wouldn't mind David O'Leary myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The Irish job is going to be a nightmare for whoever take over next. Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane will all be gone, 4 of our better players and most importantly for Given and Keane we don't seem to have anyone who can take their place.
    Doyle can play up front on his own with Gibson or McCarthy playing off him and the wingers playing more advanced and cutting in more. Would be close to preferring that system now tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Im amazed at some peoples choices to be honest, Chris Hughton has not proved anything yet IMO. He brought Newcastle back into the premier league with a great squad, but he is still unproven, I for one would like to see him succeed somewhere else before he is even considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Would Big Mick come back?
    Hope so

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

shoutman wrote: »
    Some people on this thread are either delusional or just illinformed.

Martin O'Neill will never manage a top four club (in the EPL) or equivalent. While I think he would make a good Irish manager, as he can get decent results out of bad players, he is not a top quality club manager. As someone else stated, he brings in mediocre players, pays them ridiculous money gets decent results and quits when he realises he can't take the club on any further.

If anybody wants to bet me that MON will manage the a top four team in the English Premiership, PM me and we can discuss odds...

I would like to see Houghton as the next Irish manager, but alternatively and preferably I'd like to see an Irish youth team dominating on the international stage.

Did well into making Leicester a top half team in the premiership. Assembled a great Celtic team together folowing the dreadful teams played under Dalgleish and Barnes. He left Celtic when he found out his wife had cancer, but he was right to leave Celtic to test himself at the next level. As its been said at Villa the squad was getting old, and when he went to get a bit of cash to reinvest in the team he was told there is no money so he left, would be delighted if he was the next Ireland manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Tardelli is being lined up for the job I feel.

Personally, Mick McCarthy (But won't happen).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mick McCarthy AINEC.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    I'd take McCarthy back in a heartbeat tbh.

The best manager we've had in modern times AINEC. If it wasn't for the bust up with Roy Keane - regardless of the right and wrong of it - he'd be remembered in a vastly more favourable light for his Ireland time.

He's only improved his reputation since leaving as well, the more I think about it the more I'd love him back in charge of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

This thread is a waste of bandwith. Tardelli has the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Im amazed at some peoples choices to be honest, Chris Hughton has not proved anything yet IMO. He brought Newcastle back into the premier league with a great squad, but he is still unproven, I for one would like to see him succeed somewhere else before he is even considered.
    Problem is Ireland don't have the option of waiting. Any manager that proves themselves is going to have better options than the Irish manager's job. It's why we haven't a hope of tempting Owen Coyle. Ireland's best shots are a young talented manager who has potential (a la Hughton), or an old talented manager on the back-end of his career (like Trap)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Coyle, Hughton, McCarthy would be my preference and possibly in that order too although I'd also like to see Coyle continue his good work at Bolton!

28064212 wrote: »
    Problem is Ireland don't have the option of waiting. Any manager that proves themselves is going to have better options than the Irish manager's job. It's why we haven't a hope of tempting Owen Coyle. Ireland's best shots are a young talented manager who has potential (a la Hughton), or an old talented manager on the back-end of his career (like Trap)

Or Tardelli who has signed a contract...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

edolan wrote: »
    Did well into making Leicester a top half team in the premiership. Assembled a great Celtic team together folowing the dreadful teams played under Dalgleish and Barnes. He left Celtic when he found out his wife had cancer, but he was right to leave Celtic to test himself at the next level. As its been said at Villa the squad was getting old, and when he went to get a bit of cash to reinvest in the team he was told there is no money so he left, would be delighted if he was the next Ireland manager.

There is a Villa fan on here, can't remember his name, but he had a post that contained the money spent by O'Neill, who it was spent on and what the resale was, think it even went into the amount of scouts he had, and the lack of youth development . . .

anyways my point is that he got loads to spend at Villa and wasted it, and if you read that post it would put you off wanting him to manage any club that was dear to you again!

International is different though - but I don't think he would be up to the job for me.

I'd love to see McCarthy back, I wouldn't even mind Hughton and Kerr to get the job together - I was looking forward to seeing what they could do at Newcastle. Kerr got the boot for nothing worse than has come after him - given a longer chance and time we might be in a better position now.

I think Coyle has ambitions of managing England one day, and I think he may well prove to be that good that he might get it. He is too early in his club career to jump on the International ship, especially to a nation where failure might hamper his other International options - even though it shouldn't affect his club prospects after that.

Or Tardelli who has signed a contract...
    Source?

He doesn't exactly have a sterling record as manager

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There is a Villa fan on here, can't remember his name, but he had a post that contained the money spent by O'Neill, who it was spent on and what the resale was, think it even went into the amount of scouts he had, and the lack of youth development . . .

anyways my point is that he got loads to spend at Villa and wasted it, and if you read that post it would put you off wanting him to manage any club that was dear to you again!

International is different though - but I don't think he would be up to the job for me.

I'd love to see McCarthy back, I wouldn't even mind Hughton and Kerr to get the job together - I was looking forward to seeing what they could do at Newcastle. Kerr got the boot for nothing worse than has come after him - given a longer chance and time we might be in a better position now.

I think Coyle has ambitions of managing England one day, and I think he may well prove to be that good that he might get it. He is too early in his club career to jump on the International ship, especially to a nation where failure might hamper his other International options - even though it shouldn't affect his club prospects after that.

It's Helix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Any manager who can recognise that we have talented youngsters coming through and is willing to assemble a team around them.

Come 2014 I would want us to be playing a 4-5-1/4-3-3 type formation with;

The Defence made up from;
    JOS, Dunne, Clark, Wilson, Coleman, Cunningham, Ward, Foley, Duffy

The Centre-mids made up from;
    Meyler, Wilson(I know he's there twice but could be used in CB and DCM), Whelan, Fahey, Gibson, Clifford, Henderson, McCarthy

Wide-men from;
    McGeady, Duff, Lawrence, Brady

Strikers from;
    Keane, Stokes, Doyle, Best, Long

I know there are a handful there who are still yet to prove themselves consistently at a high level, but the point remains that we have the making of a strong XI if the right man is put in charge.
    MON is no guru in the transfer market but he is good at using the players at his disposal to good effect and would not be a bad option at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Any manager who can recognise that we have talented youngsters coming through and is willing to assemble a team around them.

Come 2014 I would want us to be playing a 4-5-1/4-3-3 type formation with;

The Defence made up from;
    JOS, Dunne, Clark, Wilson, Coleman, Cunningham, Ward, Foley, Duffy

The Centre-mids made up from;
    Meyler, Wilson(I know he's there twice but could be used in CB and DCM), Whelan, Fahey, Gibson, Clifford, Henderson, McCarthy

Wide-men from;
    McGeady, Duff, Lawrence, Brady

Strikers from;
    Keane, Stokes, Doyle, Best, Long

I know there are a handful there who are still yet to prove themselves consistently at a high level, but the point remains that we have the making of a strong XI if the right man is put in charge.
    MON is no guru in the transfer market but he is good at using the players at his disposal to good effect and would not be a bad option at all

A lot of those listed above would be retired by 2014.

Keane, Duff, Dunne and maybe even John O Shea too if Ferguson has his way.

And Brady is definitely too old , shur hasn't he the TV work anyway :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

kraggy wrote: »
    A lot of those listed above would be retired by 2014.

Keane, Duff, Dunne and maybe even John O Shea too if Ferguson has his way.

And Brady is definitely too old , shur hasn't he the TV work anyway :P

I wouldn't say so, I reckon Keane, Dunne and JOS will all be around. Keane will only be 33, Dunne 34 and JOS 33 - I take your point about SAF though! I would imagine they would all want a last crack at a WC. 2014 could be a bridge too far for Duff, particularly for a wide man I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Tony Cascarino...

we all dream of a (management) team of gary breens..

28064212 wrote: »
    Source?

He doesn't exactly have a sterling record as manager

1988–1990 Italy U-16
    1990–1993 Italy U-21 (assistant)
    1993–1995 Como
    1995–1998 Cesena
    1998–2000 Italy U-21
    2000–2001 Internazionale
    2002–2003 Bari
    2004 Egypt
    2005 Arezzo
    2008– Republic of Ireland (assistant)

Better CV than most of the other managers mentioned.

1988–1990 Italy U-16
    1990–1993 Italy U-21 (assistant)
    1993–1995 Como
    1995–1998 Cesena
    1998–2000 Italy U-21
    2000–2001 Internazionale
    2002–2003 Bari
    2004 Egypt
    2005 Arezzo
    2008– Republic of Ireland (assistant)

Better CV than most of the other managers mentioned.
    Inter were terrible under him, and he hasn't lasted more than a season anywhere since then. What's the source for you saying he has already signed a contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Personally I hope Trap lives forever and manages us well into this hundreds. Of course this won't happen but seeing the same clowns floated about over and over makes me cry salty tears.

Brady? Dear Jesus.

Ireland has produced very very very very very few top managers. We need to go abroad for top managers. The problem is very few of those want to manage a tiny little wet country like ours and in a recession we won't have the money to pay them anyway.

Brian Kerr would be my favourite though, Has done wonders with the Faroe and was hoofed out too quick after we were unlucky not to qualify by failing to hold Israel in injury time. Twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Brian Kerr would be my favourite though, Has done wonders with the Faroe and was hoofed out too quick after we were unlucky not to qualify by failing to hold Israel in injury time. Twice.

I'd like to see him back too, i mentioned that above, yes he made mistakes but that is all part of learning, I believe if we had have given him more time - we would be in a better position than we are now. We keep threatning to get a system going with the future of the Country in mind, but much the same as the National League it is not going to happen for obvious reasons.

Anyways, this had me in stitches laughing, from Wikipedia and it is Kerr's assessment of his Faroe squad.
    Brian Kerr wrote:
    Apart from four players who play full-time in Denmark and another in Iceland the rest of Kerr’s 22-man squad is made up of part-time players who are either working or studying. “We have four carpenters, at least six full-time students – one of them had to fly to Copenhagen and back for an exam this week – two policemen, an accountant, one fella works in a sports shop, two teachers, Andreas works in a bowling alley, and he’s doing a bit of carpentry as well. Simun is full-time in Iceland, Suni works in a fish factory, I think Frodi’s a builder, Jakup is a teacher but he’s on the town council as well, he’s like a TD. That’s kind of the run of it. The pool is quite limited, there’s no one at Milan we’ve missed out on. The Granny Rule isn’t much help either, the Faroese haven’t been huge at emigration.”

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

My Da has always said he would love a crack at the job he woudn't cost a million quid a year either;) But then again if Gilroy isn't doing the job with the dubs in the summer im sure he will be screaming to give him that job aswell :pac::pac:
    So FAI the ball is now in your park :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Mick McCarthy is your best bet if he was willing to put up with it again. No nonsense guy, lives and breathes football, great character, very good manager IMHO. He really got the ****ty end of the stick at the time and deserves a second go at it. That is if he wants it, which I wouldn't be too sure about, because let's face it the biggest hindrance/liability in the whole setup seems to be the FAI. I like the guy a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Chris Hughton would be ideal.

Wouldn't mind Marco Tardelli either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Glenn Hoddle's a great shout. Best England manager in years.

I'd take Mick back in a heartbeat too. Coyle also. O'Leary would be a massive risk at this stage, but I'd say he'd do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Anyone but Roy Keane. I would'nt even bother watchin or attending games if they gave it to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Joekers wrote: »
    My Da has always said he would love a crack at the job he woudn't cost a million quid a year either;) But then again if Gilroy isn't doing the job with the dubs in the summer im sure he will be screaming to give him that job aswell :pac::pac:
    So FAI the ball is now in your park :P
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭wexfordia

Big Jack and Maurice Setters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hodgson has done quite well in international football, and in smaller sides.Might be good for Ireland.I kinda expect that to be laughed at, but I think he'd do ok.

Verbeek as he's done a lot of international management might be ok,same with Troussier,who I think was considered before Trap.

McClaren maybe,he's available atm.Henk Ten Cate, also available,probably gettable, and he's been an assistant at Barcelona and Chelsea.

Lars Lagerback,another international manager,is available atm.

Some of them may be bad choices, but I don't think we have a lot of choice.They all have experience,done well in places, and are available to get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

titan18 wrote: »
    Hodgson has done quite well in international football, and in smaller sides.Might be good for Ireland.I kinda expect that to be laughed at, but I think he'd do ok.

Can I be first.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Philippe Troussier. Remember this guy would get rolled out as a contender any time a national team sacked their manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

I'd love Guus Hiddink but that'll never happen. Chris Hughton would be great for the job though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Philippe Troussier. Remember this guy would get rolled out as a contender any time a national team sacked their manager?

Ya he is bit like Alan Curbishley whenever a mid table club manager gets sacked in the Premiership,turn on Sky Sports News and Curbishley is a contender straight away,Dunphy was mad touting Troussier to get the Irish job but Brian Kerr got it

Chris Hughton would be my choice as next Ireland manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Ya he is bit like Alan Curbishley whenever a mid table club manager gets sacked in the Premiership,turn on Sky Sports News and Curbishley is a contender straight away,Dunphy was mad touting Troussier to get the Irish job but Brian Kerr got it

Chris Hughton would be my choice as next Ireland manager
    Good call indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Jayob10 wrote: »
    It may be sooner than alot of us think. Do you think the FAI has thought about who they will look to replace him with when the time comes?

You could infer that Tardelli will get the job but tbh i'm not so sure.

Other names who would obviously would be linked would be anyone with Irish connections, Mick McCarthy, Dave O'Leary, Owen Coyle, Brian McDermott, Sean O'Driscoll etc....

I'd take Owen Coyle in a heartbeat, but he is a young manager with a career at a big club in front of him so he can almost be automatically ruled out.

Personally, I think Martin O'Neill might have a crack at it. His stock has fallen somewhat in the EPL and he would be a good international manager I reckon.

What are you thoughts?

Stephen Ireland:):rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Would like Hughton to get it. Seems like a really nice guy, good man manager and can get the best out players.

As Mick McCarthy would not go back, I think Chris Hughton would be a good choice. nice guy, been in the game long enough at different levels and players seem to like him a lot.

However, it is most def Tardelli's. There is no doubt in my mind that the job is his to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Mic Mac would be my first preference but would be very unlikely, I think Tardelli is nailed on to get the post & our style of football will remain negative.

I'd be in favour of Hughton, unfairly sacked, fair enough he had the best team in the Championship but he did get them to play some decent football in the premiership & he knows the FAI set up when he was assistant & through his playing career.

If the likes of Venables, Allardyce or Curbishley are touted for the job it'l be a v.very sad time

• Advertisement

Mic Mac would be my first preference but would be very unlikely, I think Tardelli is nailed on to get the post & our style of football will remain negative.

I'd be in favour of Hughton, unfairly sacked, fair enough he had the best team in the Championship but he did get them to play some decent football in the premiership & he knows the FAI set up when he was assistant & through his playing career.

If the likes of Venables, Allardyce or Curbishley are touted for the job it'l be a v.very sad time

I don't know, I think Tardelli might have his own style of play. i know he was a defensive midfielder, but I think (hope) he wouldn't be as defensive minded.

Agreed - If Venables etc are touted, I will apply for the job mysefl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hughton should be the 1st choice.He ticks all the boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

master-t wrote: »
    Agreed - If Venables etc are touted, I will apply for the job mysefl!

You can be sure he wouldn't be thick enough to put in the likes of O'Dea & Kilbane ahead of Clark anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

You know I wouldnt mind Curbishley at all. His record at West Ham was actually quite good when you look at their win ratio under him. He seems to suffer from a lack of personality but if he can pick our best players in their best positions then give that man a contract, buy him a pint and I'm sure he will lighten up:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

For me, I'd love to see Mick McCarthy return or MON.

Advertisement