Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help With Lens

• 22-03-2011 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Im looking to get a really cheep wide angle lens as I just bought a 5d mk2 and upgraded from 500d I was looking at this lens

Canon Silver EF 28-90mm F4-5.6 Zoom Lens

BG5Q8422.jpg
    Would this be suitable and work with the camera I think it may be a film lens

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I might reply after I've recovered from the idea that you bought a 5D2 and want to use a 28-90mm f/4-5.6 lens with it and that you want to be told if it will work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Im looking to get a really cheep wide angle lens as I just bought a 5d mk2 and upgraded from 500d I was looking at this lens
    that does seem to work on full frame cameras.
    mind me asking why you got a really good camera and want to stick a lowest common denominator lens on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭pbuckland05

Im sorry I wasnt very clear I really want to check suitability for a full frame sensor I upgraded ti the full frame my previous wide angle was an EF-S which is no good this is just a stand in till I can afford a better one thats all
    its really just for landscapes so lens speed isnt a huge concern. Cheep and cheer full Im looking to getting the Canon 24-105mm F4 L USM IS soon enough buty after spending two grand on the camera im a little broke I have the 70-200 L and 50mm at the Mo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no good - it won't work, or it will work with some vignetting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

It would work with the 5DMKII but it's a very basic quality lens.
    If you buy a camera of that quality and go cheap on the lens you will just be giving up the quality and potential of the 5DMKII's full frame sensor.

I have one with a damaged AF gear and its not a very great lens optically, you are welcome to have a go and see before you go and buy one but Id recommend having a look for a sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 or tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 second hand as you might find a good deal.
    If you look around and get a good copy of one of those lenses they are pretty good lenses worthy of keeping on the camera. (some have better build quality)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭pbuckland05

Thank for your advice I know its a ****e lens but its better then nothing at 40 euro it aint too bad and its only for a month or two anyway I have a decent 70-200 L I use most of the time anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

no good - it won't work, or it will work with some vignetting?

It definitely works on modern cameras, I can attest to that. Also it's designed for 35mm film camera so it wont vignette all the time although the lens naturally vignettes at the 80-90mm end when wide open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

I have a decent 70-200 L I use most of the time anyway

Good, because we were about to collectively throttle you with the camera strap from your 5D :D

70-200 L is one of the finest piece of glass out there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

On a sunny day you're going to blind anyone within a mile radius of you with it's silvery cheapness :D

I get that you just want a filler so you can get out and start using the camera. But seriously, just wait until you have enough for a decent wide angle. For now just use your 50mm and zoom. They can do great landscapes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Why not look at something like a cheap Zenitar 16mm fisheye (need to be shaved for FF I think, edit: tho maybe not).
    That way when you do get your new lens in time you still have an interesting fisheye to use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement