Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repaeting Explorer shutting down/restarting messages

• 22-03-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

Hi,
    Having a problem with my PC at the moment. When I turn it on my computer But I have not clicked on Windows Explorer I get a message saying windows explorer has stopped working followed by Windows Explorer is restarting. This keeps repeating. If I press cancel then Problem Reports and Solutions box appears and the first two messages keep repeating.

Anybody knows what this is and how do I stop it. All help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Verres

Sounds like a fairly low-level issue with the OS. To fix this, I would rebuild the PC from scratch. Get all the data that you want to save off the machine, and then reinstall the OS from the original disks.

If you think you might have a virus, DBAN the harddrive before you rebuild (once you have your data safely backed up, obviously!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Running chkdisk from the OS CD might help. There may be a bad sector causing explorer to malfunction which chkdisk may be able to rectify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭francois

Try a system restore to a date before the issue started
    You shouldn't need to do a rebuild-I presume it is XP, if a restore doesn't work, pop in the XP disc and choose repair option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Apply latest service Pack, nothing else

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    ?? What if he is already on the latest service pack. Updating to a newer service pack wont make any difference.

Re-apply, have done this thousands of times to fix explorer issues, just because you are on the latest service does not mean re-applying it will not fix issues for you.

21/25

• Advertisement
Advertisement