Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balsamic Bread

Options
  • 22-03-2011 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for Balsamic Bread?

Thanks E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

What is it?
    Bread with vinegar?
    Where does it come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

I don't know I can't find a recipe for it anywhere. I ate it loads in the U.S. Tony Roma's, a steakhouse, and Sizzlers give you bread on the table with a sweet balsamic taste off it, with caramelised little black bits in it. It's amazing.
    Thanks x

I found these recipes on the web, so its not tried and tested by me I’m afraid.
    I think the texture and flavour of the second might be better, depends what you like though.
    If you don’t want to waste ingredients I’m sure you can halve the amounts.
    If anyone else tries this, let us know how it turns out. Thanks

1 kg bread flour
    30 gr fresh yeast (about 1.5 sachets of instant yeast)
    600 ml tepid water
    40 gr softened butter
    20 gr salt
    0.5 dl balsamic vinegar.
    Follow the usual quick procedure, ie knead, rise for about an hour, knock back, shape into 40gr balls, let rise again and bake for 15 mins at 180C.

This one needs 500g of sourdough mother to which another 500gr of durum wheat is added, along with 150ml tepid balsamic vinegar which has been previously reduced by half (ie 75ml. and dont let it go cold or it will seize up), a tblspn olive oil and a couple of pinches of salt.
    This has a longer rise, 2-3 hours.
    Then you can either shape into little rolls and cook or roll the whole lot out to a rectangle about 1cm thick, cover with 100 gr of parmesan, roll up the long side and cut into 2or 3 pieces. Let rise again til doubled.
    Cook for 40 mins at 150C and a further 15mins at 180C.
    Are you sure you don’t know what the black bits were?

Thanks so much, I'm gonna make it on Saturday, i'll let you know xx

I just took it out of the oven, I made the first recipe you gave me. really simple and easy to make. Made a lovely colour/ texture bread, and i glazed it with an egg/balsamic wash.

it's a bit tart to taste, maybe too much vinegar, wasnt very nice with butter on it, but i put a little drizzle of garlic oil on it and it was gorgeous, so maybe it would be lovely made into garlic bread or somethin.

Thanks again for the recipe.

ps, this is quite a big recipe, made a huge loaf of bread,had to bake it in a pie dish maybe half the recipe for a normal size bread loaf tin.

• Advertisement

Glad it turned out nice for you.
    Sorry, I never gave a thought to the size. Whenever I make bread I usually use a kilo of flour and divide it into 2 logs and freeze one.
    I think us and the british are the only ones who butter our bread!
    I would say this is a bread for eating with a big mixed sweet salad.
    Do you think it would be nice as a bruschetta base or try experimenting in the oven with melted mozzarella and other toppings.
    Could be nice too toasted and put under a ladleful of chunky soup.
    Thanks for letting me know how it went. I might try it myself now!

Advertisement