Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surround sound not working after Sky+HD installation

• 22-03-2011 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

cb900ie

Adverts | Friends
    Got Sky+ today, but cinema sound not working since :(
    I had Sky and got Sky+ installed today. My JVC digital cinema system TH-S11 box and Phillips 28pw6615 tv were connected by scart cables to the original sky box. The sound now comes from the tv rather than the surround system. I noticed that one of the scart cables is not connected to the Sky+HD box as there is only one scart socket on it. Hopefully there is an easy solution for this!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

you need to connect the hd box to the amp using an optical cable. then change the sound settings on the hd box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭cb900ie

The amp has no socket for an optical cable :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

What inputs has it got? is there a coax?

All the amp has at the back is speaker terminals, av out via scart (used to be connected to the sky box) and antenna terminals with one used for the radio cable antenna (see attached picture).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

You will need something like this, as your amp is not that new.

MX257R.JPG

You will plug that into your sky box and then off that you plug both you TV and amp. That hopefully should solve your problem.

However after going to route of getting HD you should consider upgrading you AV and getting a new amp that takes HDMI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

We had a dumb surround sound amp. My son bought a BluRay player with 2x optical in and RCA audio in and HDMI out with 5.1 amp built in. An LG off Amazon for €240. (€3xx in Currys).

A 5.1 decoder as addon for existing analogue only surround amp costs more!

We used the decent big wooden cabinet speakers off the existing surround system on the new LG amp/BD player. It has ethernet and can play all the stuff on our media PC/server too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-HB405SU-Blu-ray-Cinema-System/dp/B003IHVHRC/

The Sky HD box and TV optical outs are fed in. When TV selects PS3, the PS3 audio goes via HDMI to TV, from TV optical out to Amp.

We have a cheap 5 way switch box on TV, with PS3, Sky HD, gaming laptop, and LG BD player/Amp. The switch box works in 3 modes: Automatic (last thing turned on), IR remote and manual button. An AV amp that has BD and does the HDMI switching also is about €250 more. With the cheap HDMI 5 way auto switch and optical inputs on amp it's not needed.

The PC media center uses a 2nd HDMI on the TV as its graphics card driver switches to VGA instead of HDMI if you boot PC without HDMI connected.

ronaneire wrote: »
    You will need something like this, as your amp is not that new.

You will plug that into your sky box and then off that you plug both you TV and amp. That hopefully should solve your problem.

However after going to route of getting HD you should consider upgrading you AV and getting a new amp that takes HDMI.

Those SCART splitters don't work. Especially NOT on RGB. They are junk. For years we used a 4 way box with knob that switched all the wires on the SCART.
    It was only about €10 fro Hills Electronics. Very very few SCART boxes switch RGB, which is needed for decent quality from Sky Box.

watty wrote: »
    Those SCART splitters don't work. Especially NOT on RGB. They are junk. For years we used a 4 way box with knob that switched all the wires on the SCART.
    It was only about €10 fro Hills Electronics. Very very few SCART boxes switch RGB, which is needed for decent quality from Sky Box.

Unfortunately I am not even familiar with what RGB means! Do you have a brand name for this 4-way box by any chance? Also, where are Hills Electronics located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

We had a dumb surround sound amp. My son bought a BluRay player with 2x optical in and RCA audio in and HDMI out with 5.1 amp built in. An LG off Amazon for €240. (€3xx in Currys).

A 5.1 decoder as addon for existing analogue only surround amp costs more!

We used the decent big wooden cabinet speakers off the existing surround system on the new LG amp/BD player. It has ethernet and can play all the stuff on our media PC/server too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-HB405SU-Blu-ray-Cinema-System/dp/B003IHVHRC/

The Sky HD box and TV optical outs are fed in. When TV selects PS3, the PS3 audio goes via HDMI to TV, from TV optical out to Amp.

We have a cheap 5 way switch box on TV, with PS3, Sky HD, gaming laptop, and LG BD player/Amp. The switch box works in 3 modes: Automatic (last thing turned on), IR remote and manual button. An AV amp that has BD and does the HDMI switching also is about €250 more. With the cheap HDMI 5 way auto switch and optical inputs on amp it's not needed.

The PC media center uses a 2nd HDMI on the TV as its graphics card driver switches to VGA instead of HDMI if you boot PC without HDMI connected.

What's the point in over complicating things? The OP just wants sound from his existing amp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

back_skyHD.jpg

You can see the audio out on this picture of the box(just above the S Video Out)-just connect leads from here to your amp and that should solve the problem,the leads are cheap-even the €2 Shops sell them now.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    back_skyHD.jpg

You can see the audio out on this picture of the box(just above the S Video Out)-just connect leads from here to your amp and that should solve the problem,the leads are cheap-even the €2 Shops sell them now.

Unfortunately, the amp has no terminals for these leads (see attached picture):

ronaneire wrote: »
    What's the point in over complicating things? The OP just wants sound from his existing amp.

He has same problem I had. The existing only has analogue inputs. No optical or RCA digital.

We had a DVD with 6 x RCA connectors and those connected to 6 connections on our Home Cinema Surround amp. (separate Analogue 6.1)

The Sky box L+R RCA connected to amp L+R.

Only old obsolete BD players have built in decoder. All current models are RCA digital out or Optical Digital out for Surround.

The Sky HD box only outputs surround on its optical connector, it only does Stereo or nothing on HDMI audio. Yes you can fiddle with SCART connections and get analogue stereo. But no surround connections in Analogue.

We solved the issue of Sky HD surround, BD player surround and Surround from RTE if they ever do it, by replacing the existing amp with a combo BD player / Amp with 1x analogue stereo in (for VHS) and 2 x optical in (TV and Sky HD). The cost was less than many amps with no BD player and less than a standalone surround decoder.

It's really simple. Separate DVD and Amp remotes replaced by new BD/Amp combo remote. Manual SCART box by auto switching HDMI box.

42" HDTV compatible Irish Digital LG 42LD450 about €460
    HMDI auto switch about €15
    LG combo BD Player / 5.1 Amp about €240
    Second hand Sky+ HD box to replace dying Skybox €50

All easier to work. full Surround possible now from Sat, terrestrial, or DVD/BD when it exists, rather than just DVD only.
    The BD player /Amp upscales the DVDs better quality than combination of DVD -> component -> TV upscale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

You can get a setup which has a scart on one end and wires coming out of the cable with composite connections on the other end. I have one in a box in another room somewhere. Scart to composite connector lead or something like that its called. Maplins, Peats or Radionics probably sell them. Old camcorders used them I think and some audio visual senders too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

I have a Philips scart splitter which I bought for about 6 Euros in TK Maxx and it doesn't work properly, the colour and graphics go wonky and lines like tuning in an RF channel, faded ghost lines appear after a while on the EXT on the tv. :D

Only old obsolete BD players have built in decoder. All current models are RCA digital out or Optical Digital out for Surround.

The Sky HD box only outputs surround on its optical connector, it only does Stereo or nothing on HDMI audio. Yes you can fiddle with SCART connections and get analogue stereo. But no surround connections in Analogue.

I think that answers my question, in that i have to purchase a new surround system that has an optical connection and connect that to the Sky+HD box, otherwise I can only have stereo (rather than surround) at best if I managed to connect somehow with the scart lead.

FREETV wrote: »
    You can get a setup which has a scart on one end and wires coming out of the cable with composite connections on the other end. I have one in a box in another room somewhere. Scart to composite connector lead or something like that its called.

Maybe this might be a cheaper alternative! This would have a scart at one end and a red and white connector at the other (to fit the two terminals that Zerks described at the back of the Sky box?

cb900ie wrote: »
    I think that answers my question, in that i have to purchase a new surround system that has an optical connection and connect that to the Sky+HD box, otherwise I can only have stereo (rather than surround) at best if I managed to connect somehow with the scart lead.

Yes.

You can get a SCART pass through (plug + socket) with L +R audio and then SCART to L+R on the AMP. and feed TV via pass through on SCART.

But you never have surround sound.

Yes.

You can get a SCART pass through (plug + socket) with L +R audio and then SCART to L+R on the AMP. and feed TV via pass through on SCART.

But you never have surround sound.

Thanks for clarifying my options.

Advertisement