Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Baby Walker

Options
  • 22-03-2011 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

My little one is getting to that stage where she is pushing up with her feet when she is given the chance. Think it is time to look at baby walkers for when she is ready.

Can anyone recommend a good one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

None of them. They aren't recommended as they aren't good for hip development apparently. Lots of info if your google them!

That being said, I remember all of my brothers and just about every baby I've ever come across has used one and no hip development issues that I'm aware of so far.

We didn't have one and Megan was walking at 10 months, so I don't think they are really necessary in developing your baby's walking abilities.

We did however have a 'Jumparoo' and I couldn't recommend it highly enough! Ooodles of fun to be had! Megan loved hers and its now doing the rounds will a few new cousins that have come along since and all the babies so far have loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bunty

Thanks crazy cat lady for the quick reply. I'd not heard of the Jumperoo so I'm off to investigate :-) Thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

http://www.toys.ie/Vtech-First-Steps-Baby-Walker-!B06934-prod.aspx

I would recommend this when baby is ready to start walking. Helped my lot anyway! In saying that I couldn't wait for them to start walking....now I just want them to sit down

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

do you mean a sit in walker or a push along one?
    Read the HSE and NHS reports on the sit in walkers before you consider buying one.
    The push along ones seem to be fine though,the vtech one seems to be lvoed by all kids.
    We had a lovely dolls buggy that she pushed around the house for months before she walked properly on her own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

we used

http://www.toys.ie/Graco-Grazia-Walker-!H09457-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=14d4116a-dfa2-4afa-bc88-606d977df15e

this one with our daughter, and had no problems with her in it, she loved being able to move around and yet the sides were a sufficient bumper to stop her getting at things she shouldn't. and the toy steering wheel tray detaches so you can use the base tray for other toys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

We used the Chicco DJ baby walker. It was very sturdy but while the DJ part of it was entertaining for my son, it was impossible to keep clean. Every little bit of drool would get stuck under the keys of the keyboard and nasty moulds would develop if it wasn't cleaned regularly. Cleaning it required unscrewing the whole console - very messy and impractical - so I wouldn't recommend it.

As far as using a walker goes, we had no issues with using one. I followed the recommendations of only using it for very short periods of time, my baby had no underlying issues, never walked on his tippy-toes, was standing and cruising from 11 months, walking and running by 13 months (perfectly normal). He loved being able to move about and it helped us to prepare the house for when he would be fully mobile (you suddenly see all the dangers!). I have seen babies who have been plonked in them for hours at a time and who appear to have delayed physical development, so in cases like that of course it would be better not to use one at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

my baby was afraid of her push along walker for a few weeks. It went a little too quick. She loves it now and in last week has started walking she's 11 months. I brought it too a family function recently and was shock at the amount of 2/3 year olds playing with it, same when we went to playzone there was loads of older kids playing with them. Delighted as hopefully she'll be playing with it for few years. It was just a vtech pink one

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bunty

Thanks all for your input. Decided the vtech walker is the way to go. I had only been thinking of a sit in walker cause I remember my little sister in one years ago!

Advertisement