Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby's neck folds getting sore

• 22-03-2011 11:01pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My 3 month old Son has lots of folds in the skin on his neck and no matter what I do I can't seem to be able to keep them dry/clean and they're getting really sore.. I think it's a combination of sweat and congealed milk getting caught in there..

This evening when I was cleaning them (with warm water and cotton wool) they started to bleed :( I wasn't using any sort of force or scrubbing, it was just a gentle wipe around..

I've just run some sudocream around the area with a cotton bud but I'm wondering is there anything else I can do for this??

He always wears a bib when I'm feeding him, I can't understand how it's getting so moist in there..

Cheers :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

This used to happen with Megan and I put it down to a combination of wearing a bib, drool, general moisture, milk, etc...

Just battled to keep the area clean and dry and applied a little vaseline to act as a barrier. It may get worse as the weather gets warmer :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Maybe try silcocks base as it's an emolient (sp) it should work on moisturising for longer. Otherwise Vaseline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I'm no expert, but I'd imagine the problem is actually too much moisture, so any vaseline (a greasy barrier which doesn't allow the skin to "breathe") or moisturizers would actually perpetuate the problem.

Have you tried powders (which dry out moisture)? Caldescene? Talculm powder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Addison had this when she was a baby and caldesene sorted it. Clean the aea and then apply a thin layer to the skin and blow away any excess so it doesn't form a paste with any moisture that may still be there. Do it after every feed and nappy change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

You can get bibs with a padded neck that really help stop this - I think Tommee Tippee do them, they usually have then in the supermarkets. I used them with my lad and it really helped clear it up, that and a little wipe with cotton wool and water and then dry cotton wool after each feed. I didn't use anything medicated, just tried to keep the area as dry and milk free as possible. Whether you are breastfeeding or bottlefeeding, keeping him as upright as possible while feeding might help too. Any dribbles will flow to the chin rather than down the cheeks towards the neck/ears as happens when they are lying back being fed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ktod

had the same thing - caldesene powder works wonders, along with bibs that are soft all the way around and close with velcro at the back, and tip baby's head back at bath time so the water has a chance to clean gently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kurley

My daughter's neck never bled so I would think that should be looked at.

her neck got very red and looked quite bad. She didn't seem too bothered by it. We apply sudocream and put vaseline on top of that. It works very well, though a lot of it does end up on her baby-gro.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thanks for the replies.. He had his 3 month checkup this morning and I mentioned it to the nurse and she had a look and said it doesn't look too bad.. I told her about the bleeding and she said it's very common..

She recommended the Caldesene powder aswel.. I have tried this before but it's very difficult to get him to lift his head and I don't want to be forcing his head back to get in there :( but I guess I'll have to find a way around it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kurley

Get your son's attention using a toy (or something black and white). With him lying down move the toy over his head away from his body, if he tracks it he should open up his neck. Works on my daughter and she is so entranced by the dancing toy she doesn't react to her neck being touched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

is he any good with tummy time. i use to put my daughter on her belly and put on cream/powders from behind as she was able to lift head up if somebody rattled a toy in front.

• Advertisement
Advertisement