Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's strangely modern looking!

too true.the sales pitch is a bit misleading.it is actually just a house that was built on what was the drewsboro estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

pilate 1 wrote: »
    too true.the sales pitch is a bit misleading.it is actually just a house that was built on what was the drewsboro estate.
    I'm confused Pilate, the article states "The house is the birthplace of renowned writer, Edna O'Brien ", Edna is in her 80s now. So is this the house she grew up in or not? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Yes, Drewsboro(ough) was certainly her childhood home but her mother willed it to Edna's brother. He and his wife are now deceased. It is being sold by this wife's (Edna's sister-in-law) estate.

Edna's abandoned childhood home under the hammer
    http://www.independent.ie/tablet/property/ednas-abandoned-childhood-home-under-the-hammer-30369215.html

This info says the original house which Edna's grandfather acquired in 1899 was indeed burned in 1921, hence the more modern design and smaller proportions perhaps.

Property/House name: Drewsborough
    Description: A home of the Drew family from the mid 18th century, occupied by Ringrose Drew in 1814 and by Francis Drew in 1837. Bought by Michael Skehan in the Encumbered Estates Court, he is recorded as being resident at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when the house was valued at over £22. Drewsborough, or Victoria Park as it was then known, was sold to William Scanlon in 1869. In 1899 it was bought by John O'Brien, grandfather of Edna O'Brien, the author. The original house was burnt in June 1921. A modern bungalow has been built on part of the site and the O'Brien home is closeby. Some farm buildings and an underground cellar still remain.
    http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/property-show.jsp?id=2096

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Ennis and Shannon are due to get Fibre to the Home from Vodafone as part of a deal with ESB.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91093561&postcount=320

Well needed imo

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mr. G wrote: »
    Ennis and Shannon are due to get Fibre to the Home from Vodafone as part of a deal with ESB.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91093561&postcount=320

Well needed imo

Shannon already has 200mb to be fair.
    There is still a massive chunk of clare with no real broadband

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

I'm happy enough with Eircom fbre atm. I hear from the younger g. that this new thing will leave us breathless with the speed, at no extra cost

Still can't believe Clare drew Wexford today. That match was so tense!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Any shops/banks where I can bring a whellbarrow load of coins and count them out and convert them for notes?

Any shops/banks where I can bring a whellbarrow load of coins and count them out and convert them for notes?

Don't think so. There is (or was) a counter in Dunnes that gave you a voucher.

You might be best going to the bank and getting money bags, then counting them out to save on paying commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

the centra place on the gort road ( shiels's as every one still calls it ) has a machine for counting them, once counted you bring the docket up to the counter to get whatever notes it counts, it dose take commission for it though so you will have to pay a small fee

its on the left hand side of the shop near the drinks section

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Tesco at Coonagh has one.

Tesco at Coonagh has one.

Thanks lads, another question...

How much commision? Is it a % of the total or is it fixed?

Thanks lads, another question...

How much commision? Is it a % of the total or is it fixed?

It's 10% or so.

Keep in mind that the automated self service till takes change too, so if you need shopping anyway its a good way to get rid. There is a limit to how many coins you can insert though.

Keep in mind that the automated self service till takes change too, so if you need shopping anyway its a good way to get rid. There is a limit to how many coins you can insert though.

I noticed they changed the change collector and now there's no basin anymore. You have to manually put the coins in the slots. I think it was for just that reason.

It's 10% or so.

Ya I went into Coonagh and saw that it was 10%, feck that, I have at least €300 in coin. No way I'm giving Tesco €30 for nought!

Ya I went into Coonagh and saw that it was 10%, feck that, I have at least €300 in coin. No way I'm giving Tesco €30 for nought!

You'd have it bagged yourself in about an hour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A lot of pubs would be happy to take some change off you, ask your local if they'd be interested.

Either that or if you've a bank account somewhere banks might take it off you as a deposit, same with the post office. Personally, I'd be taking a tenner out a day for myself and getting rid of it that way, I hate having a stack of change around.

Clareman wrote: »
    A lot of pubs would be happy to take some change off you, ask your local if they'd be interested.

Either that or if you've a bank account somewhere banks might take it off you as a deposit, same with the post office. Personally, I'd be taking a tenner out a day for myself and getting rid of it that way, I hate having a stack of change around.

Same with local corner shops, the bank charges them to take change out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just noticed on the front page someone looking for tips on locations to take wedding photos, I know some of you here will give some great suggestions

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057244584

• Advertisement

I was going to feel sorry for the lad, in fairness when you are going to the cinema parking can be a nightmare, I also reckon that Parnell Street has to have 1 of the highest ratio of disabled parking spaces in Ireland. But then I noticed that he took 2 spaces, thought that it's ok to park there at night AND he decided to leave Limerick to go to the cinema in Ennis, the cinemas in Limerick are far nicer that the one in Ennis, we do have better pop-corn though.

Do they still do butter in the ennis popcorn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭marie12

Do they still do butter in the ennis popcorn?

Hmmm not sure.
    Was wondering peoples memories of ennis in the 80s/early 90s.
    Wasn't knoxes a general store? I vaguely rem being in it.
    Im from ennis but have not lived there in about a decade. There's nothing like going back, Clare obviously my favourite county, something about Clare people.

I remember knoxs as being a small supermarket with miniature shopping trolleys for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭marie12

I remember knoxs as being a small supermarket with miniature shopping trolleys for some reason

What year did it become knoxes as we now know it?
    anyone remember the 2 sweet shops on carmody street near pj Kellys? Used love buying my smarties in there

Knox's turned into a pub around 1990 I think. The Market used to be the spot at the weekend, Henry J's, Dillengers/Porter Stall, Gracies, El Paso, they'd all be heaving from Thursday till Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

Clareman wrote: »
    Knox's turned into a pub around 1990 I think. The Market used to be the spot at the weekend, Henry J's, Dillengers/Porter Stall, Gracies, El Paso, they'd all be heaving from Thursday till Tuesday.

Don't forget the Banner too, great place before Tom Cruise invented cocktails;)

crazyguy01 wrote: »
    Don't forget the Banner too, great place before Tom Cruise invented cocktails;)

The Banner was Henry's :) Henry's Black Russian's, no ice, staple of a Saturday night

I think they changed it because of the murder at the time in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Does anyone know what's going in to the former Lynch Hotel HQ in Clareabbey? Vision House, I think it was called.

I remember it as a restaurant in the 90's.

• Advertisement

Radio5 wrote: »

I remember it as a restaurant in the 90's.

I think it was an interiors shop? Inhouse or something?

Advertisement