Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's not a fast lane, it's an overtaking lane.

I reckon the biggest delay is people coming in off the slip roads, there's 3 lanes coming into one. Also, wasn't it proven that having 2 lanes coming into 1 is faster than just 1 lane, I remember something about it on QI so it must be true, like a Zipper or something

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Zipper requires people who can drive, and a willingness to let someone out ahead of you for the common good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Any idea what work is going on in that strip of land just where the link road meets the Lahinch Rd Roundabout. Lots of council lorries and diggers in there for the past few days.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Clareman wrote: »
    It's not a fast lane, it's an overtaking lane.

I reckon the biggest delay is people coming in off the slip roads, there's 3 lanes coming into one. Also, wasn't it proven that having 2 lanes coming into 1 is faster than just 1 lane, I remember something about it on QI so it must be true, like a Zipper or something

True, but in this case it was used as a "fast lane". It slowed the whole lot down.

How could it make things faster? If all cars move across 2 or 3 lanes, they all have to move into 1 lane. In doing so, it slows the whole lot down. In my experience it was much faster with one lane, rather then the ignorance/selfishness of other drivers moving into the overtaking lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 greengog25

Mr. G wrote: »
    True, but in this case it was used as a "fast lane". It slowed the whole lot down.

How could it make things faster? If all cars move across 2 or 3 lanes, they all have to move into 1 lane. In doing so, it slows the whole lot down. In my experience it was much faster with one lane, rather then the ignorance/selfishness of other drivers moving into the overtaking lane.

Totally agree Mr G, I pull in to the left lane early and it drives me absolutely crazy when people zoom down the fast lane right to the top of where the roadworks begin and expect people that have been queuing up for ages to let them in just because they are too ignorant to get in the left lane in time :mad: if everyone pulled into the left lane a little bit earlier there would be little waiting, I have no problem letting the people from the slip road pull in!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Something that really annoys me as well is people that leave massive gaps between them and the next car, whatever about letting people in, but it just slows everything up, often you'll see a line of traffic, then a big gap and then another line of traffic, keep up with the person in from and it'll speed everything up, to paraphrase Golf course etiquette your position should be just behind the people in front of you, not just in front of the people behind

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It doesn't really work like that.

If everyone left a gap then the traffic would merge very easily, problem is that the right hand lane want to merge at the very last moment to get ahead.
    I often leave quite a generous gap once I'm about 50m from the last possible place to merge, then guys drive past and get stuck at the end. I then make a point of not letting them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It doesn't really work like that.

If everyone left a gap then the traffic would merge very easily, problem is that the right hand lane want to merge at the very last moment to get ahead.
    I often leave quite a generous gap once I'm about 50m from the last possible place to merge, then guys drive past and get stuck at the end. I then make a point of not letting them in.

I love doing that too, it really brightens up my day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭G3467

Headline from Clare.fm news today:

Wet Rain Precedes Garda Speeding Clampdown :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

G3467 wrote: »
    Headline from Clare.fm news today:

Wet Rain Precedes Garda Speeding Clampdown :pac:

Ah, leave them alone! The news items on that website frequently have a quirky 'only-in-Clareness' built in and it's great! They meant 'wet roads'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

:D :P :D

love it! :D

Speaking of Clare fm news, where's John Cooke gone to ?

Radio5 wrote: »
    Speaking of Clare fm news, where's John Cooke gone to ?

Marian seems to cover for him when he's not presenting the show anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭dmc17

Mr. G wrote: »
    Coming out of Limerick yesterday evening, many cars were overtaking in the fast lane before it splits into just the one lane. It was actaully faster to have one lane because of all the traffic moving back to the one lane.

So by people trying to speed up their situation they actually made it slower for everyone :rolleyes:

If anyone remembers the oil spillage a while back, it would have been just like that.

Going in to Limerick this morning there was a bit of a tailback before the roadworks. You had the usual queue skipping idiots in the overtaking lane jumping to the front. Some guy came along in the overtaking lane at the end of the queue and slowed down to the same speed as the main queue and held them all up. Needless to say he was let in when he got to the end of the lane :D Well done sir. You made my day.

dmc17 wrote: »
    Going in to Limerick this morning there was a bit of a tailback before the roadworks. You had the usual queue skipping idiots in the overtaking lane jumping to the front. Some guy came along in the overtaking lane at the end of the queue and slowed down to the same speed as the main queue and held them all up. Needless to say he was let in when he got to the end of the lane :D Well done sir. You made my day.

I find that people tlike that tend to slow down the traffic even more. If traffic is going in 2 lanes and people join "Like a Zipper" it flies along, it's when it's just 1 lane and you get people leaving gaps or not keeping up when the delays happen.

Clareman wrote: »
    I find that people tlike that tend to slow down the traffic even more. If traffic is going in 2 lanes and people join "Like a Zipper" it flies along, it's when it's just 1 lane and you get people leaving gaps or not keeping up when the delays happen.

I enjoyed it though. I hate people who skip to the top of the queue. Why not wait with the rest of the peasants?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Anyone know where I can rent a indoor soccer court for a hour a week? In Ennis?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

Would I be imagining things or do Leisureworld have them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

crazyguy01 wrote: »
    Would I be imagining things or do Leisureworld have them?

Cant see online, I know they have a out door one! Must give a call into them!

Vain wrote: »
    Cant see online, I know they have a out door one! Must give a call into them!

Indoor pitches can be hard to come by, Flannan's has 1, as do most of the schools, you could try ringing the schools to enquire. Other than that I don't know to be honest

• Advertisement

John Cooke mystery solved. He's back today and had been off cos he and his missus have a new daughter.Congrats to them and welcome back John.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

A handy little tip for those who enter Mike Gardiner's ''Guess the Artist'' competition on Sundays where he gives out tickets to listeners who identify the artist.

If you can identify the artist(easy through 'Googling'/YouTube etc) then send in your answer BUT when sending your location make sure that it is a location OUTSIDE of Clare.

As the winners are chosen your chances will increase significantly if you say you are eg John Smith/Mary McMahon from an area in Tipperary,Galway.Tipperary,Offaly,Limerick etc.

Have done this numerous times with successful results each time :).

So, once again, when entering the competition DO NOT give a Clare location as most tickets are surprisingly chosen for out of County listeners :D.

Carazy wrote: »
    A handy little tip for those who enter Mike Gardiner's ''Guess the Artist'' competition on Sundays where he gives out tickets to listeners who identify the artist.

If you can identify the artist(easy through 'Googling'/YouTube etc) then send in your answer BUT when sending your location make sure that it is a location OUTSIDE of Clare.

As the winners are chosen your chances will increase significantly if you say you are eg John Smith/Mary McMahon from an area in Tipperary,Galway.Tipperary,Offaly,Limerick etc.

Have done this numerous times with successful results each time :).

So, once again, when entering the competition DO NOT give a Clare location as most tickets are surprisingly chosen for out of County listeners :D.

Wrong Forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

dmc17 wrote: »
    :P I ain't crazy I tells ye :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

http://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/kelly-jones-marries-jakki-healy-2903527 not one word of this did i hear about this until today , the people of kilrush know how to keep things quiet

Serious rain in Ennis all morning, take care if you're out and about,lots of surface water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Radio5 wrote: »
    Serious rain in Ennis all morning, take care if you're out and about,lots of surface water.

yep its terrible, golf balls hoping of the window here back west aswell all day,could do without it this week infairness, took me 50 mins to get home from ennis yesterday with both traffic and weather normally it takes 15 to 20

Davy Fitz won Manager of the Year Award on the RTÉ Sports Awards a few minutes ago (RTÉ 1)

Deserved it in my opinion- Hence my avatar!

• Advertisement

Clare hurlers got team of the year also..

Advertisement