Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are These Prices Goog?

• 22-03-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am currently doing a project at home and i require 18mm WBP 20 sheets. Im in longford area and one hardware priced me 27 euro a sheet and another priced me 20.89. Great i say but why the big difference and is there different grades?
    Any help appreciated!

GG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Plywood is rated according to the fineness of both surfaces. Easiest to understand is the A,B,C ratings, with A being best. You will then have combinations like A/A, A/B,A/C, B/B, B/C. In my experience the grade B/B is good enough for most purposes. Only buy A/A or A/B if you are doing indoor work.
    Go back again to your quoters armed with the above info and ask them to quote like for like as per your preferred spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭FREDNISMO

The second quote may not include vat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

have come across wbp for 20 inc vat,comes from china but not sure what grade it was though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

it would be easyier to give an indication of project but for tiling get the 20 euro one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've used cheaper WBP grade plywood in the recent past which was of Chinese origin and it was rubbish- the glue used is poor and the veneers delaminate easily as a result. There were numerous voids and defects in every sheet and as a result lots of waste. It was used in a non-critical internal application but there's no way I'd use the like of it on anything critical or of any importance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement