Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MGinaction

• 22-03-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Just giving a recommendation for MGinaction, this site is as good as it gets.
    I think it will eventually do away with instructional DVD's

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I've heard some people say that they don't like the interface, which I think is based on software designed to teach chess. What did you think of that part of the site - not the techniques themselves?

Have you seen Draculino's one?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 paganist

one complaint I have is its pretty slow, but I find it super easy to use I pick a technique/position and search that, it breaks that technique into advanced/fundemental/sparring etc.

I have not seen draculino's but I hear its good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭NG-DOC

easily the best bjj resource on the internet bar none.

couldn't recommend it enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Agree. Yes a little slow on occasion but if you can't wait 1 minute for a video to load...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Crusher

:) For a long time the MMA/BJJ people have come down on alot of TMA's saying you cant learn from DVD's etc, video learning that you need an instructor, how is this different??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Crusher wrote: »
    :) For a long time the MMA/BJJ people have come down on alot of TMA's saying you cant learn from DVD's etc, video learning that you need an instructor, how is this different??

I assume a lot of people are going to treat it as a resource for ideas to try out while rolling in class, and if they come off - super. If not, you can talk to your coach and tell him what you were trying to achieve and work through the nuances of the movement with him...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

You're wrong, that's never been the case.

It's not the source that's the most critical aspect of training it's the training method. Learning from a good coach is important, but the method - the role of technique demonstration, repetitive practice (drilling), the exposure to progressive levels of resistance, appropriate cooperatively between practitioners, and the frequent use of sparring.

In the absence of a good coach (let's say you live in a little island) good DVDs/Videos can give a small bunch of guys training the framework and the techinques to put the above serioes of events in action. Yes they will miss out on some things that only a good coach can spot but it's not useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

In addition to what the lads above me said, there's a difference between learning from a DVD and having a DVD as a reference.

Things like Gracie U which are sold as a complete package giving you all you need to learn the art are still very controversial.

Not starting a flame here, but do you not think that eventually that a site like that will go the same way as GJJ. I agree that a DVD for reference is a very different thing to trying to learn from a DVD. Saying all that if you are talented enough, and have good basics in some form of MA's you could probably learn from a DVD, the difference would be in experiance and level of understanding of the Martial artist as nearly all learning in the MA's comes from watching!

It's not the source that's the most critical aspect of training it's the training method. Learning from a good coach is important, but the method - the role of technique demonstration, repetitive practice (drilling), the exposure to progressive levels of resistance, appropriate cooperatively between practitioners, and the frequent use of sparring.

That's just about the best condensed description of how to get better at physical skills I've seen. Kudos.
    Not starting a flame here, but do you not think that eventually that a site like that will go the same way as GJJ.
    I couldn't speak for the business plan they have but it's definitely not the same. You'd have to really use it to experience it but the thing I would say is that I'm not sure how good it would be for white belts or total beginners who didn't understand the basics of posture etc. not that that's not covered on the site, it's just that I think there's a little too much there when as a beginner you need simple condensed advice.
    if you are talented enough, and have good basics in some form of MA's you could probably learn from a DVD, the difference would be in experiance and level of understanding of the Martial artist as nearly all learning in the MA's comes from watching!
    I disagree fundamentally with just about all of this paragraph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

My only issue is the speed, i guess because there is so much content the server is quite slow but when teamed with my ****e internet it makes watching almost unbearable sometimes.

When it works though its brilliant, could watch it all day.

I disagree fundamentally with just about all of this paragraph.
    So let me get this straight, i you where for example a high ranking JJJ blackbelt, you couldn't make the stuff work from watching it?

Do we not have to see the technique to understand it, are you saying that a verbal explaination would be enough:confused:

So let me get this straight, i you where for example a high ranking JJJ blackbelt, you couldn't make the stuff work from watching it?

Do we not have to see the technique to understand it, are you saying that a verbal explaination would be enough:confused:

Maybe you could, who cares? Thats not what its for though.

If he does learn it, who is he going to practice it against, some other jjj fella? He wouldnt need to watch marcello for that just head over to youtube and watch subs 101.

No, I'm saying that watching isn't enough, that doing is the key. I'm also fundamentally disagreeing with the idea that ability in one form of martial art confers understanding of another. I've had JJJ/Kung Fu/Karate black belts on my mats who couldn't handle the white belts despite "knowing" the chokes/arm bars etc. from either watching them on DVDs or learning them in a compliant manner.

Don't GJJ combative's blue belts not compete, even though they have never rolled probally with anyone else. I'm not trying to dish Marcello, far from it. He's fantastic and its a great resourse. Just trying to get my head around the whole DVD/Internet learning, does it really benifit lower grades as they don't really know what they are doing?

Obviously any extra exposure is beneficial, but it definitely doesnt benefit me as much as it would my coach, i havent a clue whats going on most of the time.

Thats the point though, it isnt GJJ, marcello isnt giving out online belts, maybe people are learning from it by themselves, thats far from ideal though, and also probably not what marcello had in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭00MARTZ00

paganist wrote: »
    Just giving a recommendation for MGinaction, this site is as good as it gets.
    I think it will eventually do away with instructional DVD's

thats actually a really impressive site!

Advertisement