Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Podcast and blog recommendations?

Options
  • 23-03-2011 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Thought this would be a good place to share some skeptical and scientific blogs and podcasts for the web 2.0-inclined among us ;)

I'll dig up a more comprehensive list another time, but off the top of my head:

The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe (podcast) - Discusses the weekly scientific, skeptical and paranormal topics that are in the news, or that listeners email about. Good panel, well-researched, etc. The panelists are all lay people, except for Steven Novella, who is a physician and a neurologist at Yale, so he tends to give the educated scientific perspective, and the literature review, when it's needed.

Neurologica (blog) - This is Steve Novella's own blog. Unlike SBM (below), it doesn't concentrate on medical science; it covers all general paranormal topics, from UFOs to astrology to psychics.

Science-Based Medicine (blog) - This is a great blog for reading up about medical topics, sham treatments, scams, herbal treatments, homeopathy, and also just general medical 'controversies' like vaccination, swine flu, etc. There are a good few (5 or 10!) contributors and editors here, most of which are medical doctors or researchers, so it is updated several times a week too. They refer to the primary literature all the time, and often have good discussions of research. The bloggers respond to comments too. You can see a summary of the topics here.

Monster Talk (podcast) - I must confess that I actually started this thread cos I thought that steddyeddy would be interested in this podcast! :D I only discovered it a few minutes ago, but it's to do with crypozoology! Can't tell you if it's any good obviously, but I'll listen to a few episodes over the next week or so, and I'll report back. There's a couple of episodes that discuss whether cryptozoology is a science or what, so that could be interesting.

Anywho, that'll do for now... enjoy. And post up your own recommendations!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 MrJonDonnis

I have two Podcasts.

BadCast

This was my attempt to show what a skeptical podcast should be about, but with a good sense of humour two.

Every episode is different, and there is no self congratulatory patting on the back, or laughing at your own jokes as is evidence in so many skeptical podcasts these days.

The first season was weekly, and we even expanded into a separate news podcast too (BadBulletin), since we were getting insanely popular.

But these days I just knock out one badcast a month, since officially I should be retired from such stuff.

Birmingham Skeptics

Born out of the BadCast, my good friend Patrick interviews various people in a more informal manner, out go the dumb question by question scripts and in comes a nice chat that covers all the topics.

The PodCast is to accompany the Birmingham Skeptics in the Pub which I just happened to be the founder of, but is run in part by Patrick these days.

Advertisement