Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MMA Gift

• 23-03-2011 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Husbands birthday is coming up. He's into watching MMA but has never trained or anything. He goes to our local gym and is fit enough. I was thinking of getting him either a short membership to an MMA gym or a days intensive training as a taster. What would you suggest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

a month or two's training would be a nice gift. there is an ad on the site for a particular club offering such a deal. where abouts are you based (for travel purposes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Get him a few privates and see if he Likes it, or get him a months membership to your local Mma club

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Check this out, new boards deal, good price too

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056214766

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

He actually works close to that gym. I know nothing about mma, has anyone been to that gym? are the classes offered good?

We live in Kildare, he works in clonee, so anywhere between the two :)

cowzerp wrote: »
    Get him a few privates and see if he Likes it,
    What does a private usually entail? I was thinking something like an intensive day thing and then if he likes it a month (or 2) membership somewhere might be a safe bet.

It's one thing watching it, he might not enjoy it so much when he's knotted up in a ball with a man sitting on his head :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Whispered wrote: »
    He actually works close to that gym. I know nothing about mma, has anyone been to that gym? are the classes offered good?

We live in Kildare, he works in clonee, so anywhere between the two :)

I heard its a fantastic gym. It does fitness too, so if you buy your BF 2 months free membership, he may pack in his gym where he does weights and combine MMA and fitness in Informed Performance. I think he would eventually save money if he did that, and you may be creating a monster:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What does a private usually entail? I was thinking something like an intensive day thing and then if he likes it a month (or 2) membership somewhere might be a safe bet.

Don't think that's going to happen.
    It's not like motorracing/paintball/climbing etc were you can do a day long session for a begineer.

MMA/BJJ training is tough, for his first time, he won't be able for more than an hour or two. A day long session (if it even exists) wouldn't be that intense, as a begineer simply would last.

Get him the bits and pieces he needs, (gloves, wraps, shorts etc) and a months pass.

Thanks to everyone to responded, I appreciate your help. I'd imagine you're right there Mellor, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Is there anything I need to be aware of in buying bits and pieces or can I go into any sports shop and pick these up? Keep in mind this may just be a one month thing so I don't want to spend a fortune! (last question I promise!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Thanks to everyone to responded, I appreciate your help. I'd imagine you're right there Mellor, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Is there anything I need to be aware of in buying bits and pieces or can I go into any sports shop and pick these up? Keep in mind this may just be a one month thing so I don't want to spend a fortune! (last question I promise!)

Just get some hand wraps for now then, can get them here, pretty cheap too
    http://www.ultimatemmasupplies.ie/index.php/mma.html

If he likes it then some sparring gloves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

It's one thing watching it, he might not enjoy it so much when he's knotted up in a ball with a man sitting on his head :p

A private can be different depending on the individuall, does he want to work more on BJJ, wrestling, Striking or a bit of all in it, would most likely in this situation be just a lot of techniques that he would then do many times again in a class situation to really learn them, the private would just be to see if he liked it in his case, a club would have equipment for someone just doing a month.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

Thank you, could I approach any club about this? Is it something generally offered?

I really think I'd prefer to get a private thing for him to see if he likes it before spending more on a few months that he might not use.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

A months training will probably cost less than a one-to-one training session. One-to-one training is expensive.

I would get him a months gym membership as it is more realistic to what training will be like rather than the one-to-one session. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Hey thanks for the mention guys. There's only *checks timer* 45 minutes left on that deal we've done with boards so I guess now would be the time.http://www.boardsdeals.ie/deal/70-instead-of-160-for-2-months-gym-membership-plus-unlimited-classes-at-Informed-Perfomance-Dublin-11/155/

If you don't get over the line in time for that I'd be happy to offer your other half a free session anytime. pm for details

Advertisement