Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting posts....

Options
  • 23-03-2011 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭

I think some minor changes need to made with regards to dealing with reported posts. Often when I report a post no action, as far as I can see, is taken. Thats grand, maybe none was required. However I think there should be some mechanism in place to let the person who reports the post know that what they have said while reporting the post has been read, and that the problem post has been looked at. Otherwise the poster is left wondering if the post has been looked at, or thinking they have been ignored. If someone reports a few posts and no visible action is taken(ie cards or mod warnings on thread) they may quickly lose faith in the system and will stop bothering to report posts. I believe that if there was some kind of feedback to the person who reports a post, even if its just indicating that the post has been looked at, more people would report problem posts which can only be a good thing!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

This has recently been discussed here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056169794

My opinion is, all reports get read, there may be a delay sometimes due to mods being offline but they do get read.

Some may take longer to sort as, at the end of the day, we're only human and do this voluntarily and contrary to popular belief we sometimes haven't a clue how to proceed and need to ask for assistance which can take time.

If you feel nothing has been done and the problem still exists then you can always report again with more details or pm a mod, failing that, a cmod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Huh I forgot I brought that up there, I must be going mad. Has there been any developments behind the scenes?
    My opinion is, all reports get read, there may be a delay sometimes due to mods being offline but they do get read.

Some may take longer to sort as, at the end of the day, we're only human and do this voluntarily and contrary to popular belief we sometimes haven't a clue how to proceed and need to ask for assistance which can take time.

If you feel nothing has been done and the problem still exists then you can always report again with more details or pm a mod, failing that, a cmod.
    But it can appear otherwise, and if some new poster reports 3 or 4 posts and as far as he sees they have been ignored he isnt gonna bother to report any more posts in the future.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It doesn't need any more development behind the scenes. All reports are seen. All posts that need action are (eventually) actioned if they're brought to mods' attention. If a post/series of similar posts isn't responded to at all, then the person reporting them should learn that not every single thing needs to be reported. You can't hand-hold people through every single thing they do on the Internet.

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I think how it works now is fine, I don't think it's fair that we ask the mods to respond to all reported posts that aren't acted upon.

What if one post is fine but it gets reported by 10 different posters? Does the mod have to PM every one of them explaining why they didn't do anything in response to the reported post?

I'd report a bit, generally spammers but have reported others, not all acted upon. One of them I felt strongly enough about that I PM'ed a mod. And they responded explaining why they didn't do anything and that was good enough for me.

That options available to all users, as well as PM-ing cmod and the other higher levels. You also have this forum if you feel that you still need something to be done about it.

I had thought that maybe a reported post should be marked in some way to indicate it's reported and then the flag is reset if the post doesn't get infracted/banned. But I'm not sure that it's a good idea as it probably would be abused. BUt it would be a simple visual indicator to the users that reported the post. Also I'm not sure if it's actually possible to customise the site in that manner.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It's already being discussed at length in the other thread so I'll close this one so as not to divide up the discussion.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement