Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can this be done - map VPS drive

Options
  • 23-03-2011 5:51am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

I will preface this by saying that I'm not too well up on the networking stuff, but can do the simple basics.

Not too sure if this is even possible, but maybe someone might know how to do this?

I have a Windows XP box which I use as a fileserver and have a couple of other PCs mapping a shared folder on it. This WinXP box also shares out the broadband (has two network cards).

Now I need to access (read/write) the shared folder from a different location, and don't think I could do it with the very simple network that I currently have. I don't have the money to invest in a proper network/server solution.

So, I thought a simple solution would be to rent a VPS and map to folder set up on that, and I tried the following:
    Via FTP I created a new folder on the VPS and uploaded my data to it.
    On my own PC I then attempted to map a network drive by entering the IP address of the VPS.

Obviously, no joy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Are you saying that you want to share a folder on the Windows PC and access it from the LAN or from a public location?

LAN is no problem.
    Public location... well ... limited by your connection and a number of other factors.

Webdav?

http://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-webdav-network-drive.html

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I want to be able to access either the VPS or my fileserver from effectively a public location.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Boskonay

Is simple enough to do, webDAV or SMB work fine over the internet.

Get a basic cloud based server online and way you go

Advertisement