Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C Annie on the Phone

• 23-03-2011 6:40am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I went to a friend's place last Saturday Night for a belated St Pat's Party. During the party my friend Annie got a phone call from her brother. I took this grab shot as I was passing. This is a crop from a larger image. I like her expression & it reminded me of a time when a phone call between Ireland & Australia was a very rare and expensive occurrence. I have processed this to try to get the feeling of a phone call home from those days.

C&C Welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Amazing and brilliant. You nailed it CS. Really like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Great photo. I really like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Great, dramatic shot, and the PP really suits it. Congrats! I wonder what the full photo looks like? Are there any people, furniture etc, that would put it in context?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This was the full frame from which I took the crop.

152646.jpg

How do you feel about this crop? I don't think it is 'better' than your b/w one, but it does give a different slant on it, what do you think?

Clipboard01.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

That is actually the first crop I considered, but decided I just wanted her and that expression without any distractions.

There is also something in this shot which reminds me of Munch's "The Scream"

you are right, there is a real sense of isolation & fear going on there - and I like the grainy b/w treatment - it is a great fit for the subject.

Cheers,
    -Foxt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Looks like she's heating some bad news? You didn't guide or hint to her in anyway to make this expression? Great shot and I lime the processing too. It's perfect. If completely candid.

100% candid. Just a lucky grab shot as I walked past.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think a simple b&w conversion would have done just as well; also, just cropping out the black spots to the left of the doorframe but keeping her roughly centred in the frame would probably work too; it's a strong enough shot that several treatments - including the original image - would work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Looks like she's heating some bad news? You didn't guide or hint to her in anyway to make this expression? Great shot and I lime the processing too. It's perfect. If completely candid.

I love limes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Most pointless quote ever?

You missed the bit about her "heating" bad news. Damn Iphone predictive texting. At least op knew what I meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Most pointless quote ever?

You missed the bit about her "heating" bad news. Damn Iphone predictive texting. At least op knew what I meant.

It was meant in good spirit- suck it up, we've all spelt things incorrectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I think a crop of her and the baloons,with the B&W treatment
    but with some selective colour on the green baloons would be the kind of thing the Herald would **** themselves over!

"Irish Woman's relief after fears for her Kids in Australia after the Tsunami"

yep I can see it now! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19 praveenk16

looks great.......

Advertisement