Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which university is more recognised/respected?

Options
  • 23-03-2011 7:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

I would like some opinions as to which university is more recognised in terms of academic performance.

UCD or University of Manchester?

I am considering doing a taught master's and have my eye on a course in each university but the question of reputation as viewed by Irish employers mainly will have a slight bearing on my choice.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Papa_Bear wrote: »
    I would like some opinions as to which university is more recognised in terms of academic performance.

I am considering doing a taught master's and have my eye on a course in each university but the question of reputation as viewed by Irish employers mainly will have a slight bearing on my choice.

Thanks

It would depend on the course really, as at that level a colleges rep would be courser/dept specific.

If your primary degree was obtained in Ireland, having traveled and worked/studied in another country may be seen as additional life experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

http://www.university-list.net/rank/univ-110001.html

According to this ranking which was done by the (London) Times Higher Education, UCD was ranked 94 in the world, while I cannot find the University of Manchester.

I don't know how relevant these sort of rankings are but presumably they affect perceptions and that's what you are talking about. (And somebody will probably post an alternative link which shows quite the opposite view).

The University of Manchester is probably a fine place in such a big city but I'd be surprised if many Irish employers would be especially familiar with it, never mind likely to favour it over UCD which they'll well know.

But as the other poster said much will depend on the particular school in the college and how that is regarded. And it has to be said that it is very difficult to get information that is not based on hearsay or perception rather than anything really measurable. For example, it really is only someone who has attended/worked in two universities that could reasonably be able to compare them but this will not stop people making judgements.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

Thanks for the link Rosita

University of Manchester is on the list at no 87 but I take your point about UCD being recognised by Irish companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Thanks for the link Rosita

University of Manchester is on the list at no 87 but I take your point about UCD being recognised by Irish companies.

That's gas, as I used edit-find and got nothing when I put in Manchester. Obviously it's a very good place so. Though like I said how many will be really be familiar with it in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

To be honest I'd be more worried about whats recognised by froeign companies and not Irish companies - who likely will be equally impressed by both. And when it comes to foreign companies the best recognised place is Trinity. But then it also depends on your course subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I would guess that they are of a similar reputation, but I certainly would not be using that as a basis for deciding where to study - judge each course on its own merits. I cannot imagine an employer, be they Irish or otherwise, would be more likely to hire on the superficial basis of you having a qualification from UCD rather than Manchester. In fact, I'd be wary of working for anyone so short-sighted. It’s probably worth bearing in mind that here in London (for example), Manchester Uni is held in very high regard, but many people have never even heard of UCD.

I would also agree with previous suggestions that travelling to work/study looks good on a CV.

I'd also suggest visiting Manchester if you can before making a decision - it's a cool city.

Advertisement