Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Neighbour's dog pooh.

Options
  • 23-03-2011 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

A Neighbour of mine took his dog for a walk around my road.Stopped , let his dog do his job and walked on.I couldnt believe it.I was so checky, I stopped him and asked him to clean it up.My street is full of young children , playing beside his dogs pooh.I believe this is not the first time this has happened.I was nice, I explained that it wasnt fair that he didnt clean it up.He did tell me that he would send his wife around to do it for him:eek:, but I offered him a pooh bag and asked him to do it himself.Now, Im a live and let live person, as much as I can be.And plan to live here for a while yet and hate to fall out with my neighbours , but I just couldnt say nothing.
    What do others think, am I a cheeky cow, or was I right.

A few years ago I wanted to put a sign in my Garden that would read "DOG OWNERS, IF I WANTED POOH IN MY GARDEN I'D DO IT MYSELF",but my husband refused to entertain me.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

cathy01 wrote: »
    A Neighbour of mine took his dog for a walk around my road.Stopped , let his dog do his job and walked on.I couldnt believe it.I was so checky, I stopped him and asked him to clean it up.My street is full of young children , playing beside his dogs pooh.I believe this is not the first time this has happened.I was nice, I explained that it wasnt fair that he didnt clean it up.He did tell me that he would send his wife around to do it for him:eek:, but I offered him a pooh bag and asked him to do it himself.Now, Im a live and let live person, as much as I can be.And plan to live here for a while yet and hate to fall out with my neighbours , but I just couldnt say nothing.

A few years ago I wanted to put a sign in my Garden that would read "DOG OWNERS, IF I WANTED POOH IN MY GARDEN I'D DO IT MYSELF",but my husband refused to entertain me.:D

Apart from sounding as if you might be just a teeny bit obsessed with poo, next time why not just photograph it and make a complaint to your local environmental health officer. A visit or a fine from them will probably do wonders to encourage him to pick up his dogs poo in future.

If it's toxoplasmosis you are concerned about, cats are far more likely to carry the disease than dogs, by the way! Which will probably give you a whole new species poo to become concerrned about!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

You were absolutely dead right to say something. I walk my dog every morning before work and this morning she ran into a neighbours house and did her "business":) I was mortified and took it up immediately with the intention of saying it to them when I am home later (in case they saw my dog doing it)... Cant imagine what type of person he is though if he was going to send his wife around to clean it up. I think you will find everyone will agree with you .....

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭cyberhog

easychair wrote: »
    If it's toxoplasmosis you are concerned about, cats are far more likely to carry the disease than dogs, by the way!

Cats generally bury their feces in hidden garden places they don't poo midlawn or in the middle of a footpath.

@OP fair play to you for saying something, your neighbour sounds like a dozy schmuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Keep a shovel handy. Next time it happens, say nothing. Go out with the shovel, pick up the crap. Walk quietly to the owners door step & deposit the crap there.

Repeat as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Zulu wrote: »
    Keep a shovel handy. Next time it happens, say nothing. Go out with the shovel, pick up the crap. Walk quietly to the owners door step & deposit the crap there.

Repeat as necessary.

I would love to .But think my hubbie would really go mad.

Once a dog came into the garden, and did its business on my daughters bike.I did knock on his door and ask him to call around and clean it.:o

Im not obbsessed with dog pooh, just stunned by the lack of respect for others .When my dog does it business , I clean it up.
    Im glad I had the bottle to say something, and Im glad that boardies dont think im mad..well not for saying something at least.:D
    Thanks .Cathy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

Once a dog came into the garden, and did its business on my daughters bike.I

Why not keep your garden gate closed? Are you saying a dog defecated on your daughters bike?

Yep, it was a few years ago.She left the bike in the garden, he came in and bang, did his job.

I gave up closing the gate.Like I said the kids all play in each others garden.Mine is like a creach sometimes.I might have about 8 kids all playing in it.They never close the gate. I dont mind kids, chalk, scooters, bikes, kites, bug collecting kits, potions etc, but dog pooh,I draw the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

.i think you were right and ballsy :).
    my neighbour has a dog run on his side of the picket fence that runs parrallel to my back deck seating area .TRIED to sit out there at the weekend but the stink of dog poo coming through was rotten. totally bummed my bbq plans.:rolleyes:

UUUUHHH, Is there anything you can do about that?Besides build a wall?Maybe plant really strong spelly flowers around it.God, thats terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Fai play cathy. You done the right thing. Reporting him would have caused friction. I'd have done it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Cathy - where Trevor when you need him?? (smilies disabled @ in the office!)

Nodster wrote: »
    Cathy - where Trevor when you need him?? (smilies disabled @ in the office!)

Hardy har har.I think hes busy hugging a tree.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Nodster wrote: »
    smilies disabled @ in the office!
    Never a truer word spoken ... Or it's maybe just that Wednesday feeling? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

You were dead right to say something! Dog poo is disgusting. The smell of it if one of the kids walks in it and brings it into the house and then having to clean it off a pair of runners!!!!

I have been known to ask people I see in the park if they are going to pick up after their dog.....my husband also thinks I'm mad but I dont care!

Did your neighbour come back or did he send his wife around?

NO, I went into my house and got him a doggie pooh bag.I asked him to do it there and than.He did.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

Fair play to you. Hopefully he will realise that people can see his dog doing his business and he will pick it up in future? To be fair I see alot of people who pick up after their dogs. Its just the ignorant few who continue to think its ok for the rest of us to step over dog turds!!

Rant over;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

easychair wrote: »
    Apart from sounding as if you might be just a teeny bit obsessed with poo, next time why not just photograph it and make a complaint to your local environmental health officer. A visit or a fine from them will probably do wonders to encourage him to pick up his dogs poo in future.

If it's toxoplasmosis you are concerned about, cats are far more likely to carry the disease than dogs, by the way! Which will probably give you a whole new species poo to become concerrned about!

I don't see how Cathy seems "obsessed with poo" from this post at all. Its an issue that affects everyone in the neighbourhood and Balbriggan is really bad for this. Its not just about toxoplasmosis, its the fact that its completely disgusting and nobody, particularly children who could be curious, should have to suffer it.

Taking a picture and sending it off to the council is hardly going to get the problem dealt with in a timely manner now is it? Cathy was dead right in telling that man to clean up after his dog. Your post is actually quite rude tbh.

Cathy, fair play to you. I wish more people around the town would speak out when they see it happening.

Ok, a bit of a funny story.My daughter, like all 6 year olds was making mud pies and poisions with her friends in the garden.My poor neighbour had no heads left on his roses.
    Jenny, was delighted that they got great mud, and it was really smelly , not only that they didnt even have to dig it up from my garden, it was just there ,like magic in a big heap on the grass verge outside:D
    Picture it.About 6 kids, delighted with their poision.
    Now picture the faces of their parents when they all went home COVERED in splashes of this special , magic mud.It was sooo funny , for a minute, till I had to hose her down.:D
    Oh the joys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Fair play to you Cathy. I have been caught out with my dog once or twice without a bag, it happens! Whats the saying? S**t happens.

On a positive note a Man knocked at my door about 4 weeks ago and asked for a plastic bag as his dog crapped at my side gate. Fair play to him very decent and civil of him

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I definitely keep the gates shut - but if their left open even for a short time dogs get in and deposit. Most dog owners round skerries bring their little bags and if a see a dog performing in the street with an owner in tow I carefully slow down and stare at the owner, making sure the owner sees me looking at them. I carry a spare plastic bag with me to offer to the dog owner I have not had to offer it yet! but will post on the poo-thread if the need arises.

I once caught a small dog at it in my garden and carefully deposited it (the dog) onto the footpath on the end of my shoe - embarrassing thing was it was friends' new pup!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

UUUUHHH, Is there anything you can do about that?Besides build a wall?Maybe plant really strong spelly flowers around it.God, thats terrible.

Similar situation myself with the neighbours back garden...filthy with piles of Dog ****e not cleaned up and the smell is disgusting...is there any plant/hedge (maybe bamboo I've seen that wouldn't impose to much on our garden?) that would mask the problem?

I just googled it.

Dealing with pet waste is one of the primary hassles of dog ownership. Households with large dogs or multiple pets face an even bigger headache. Even when attended to daily, the odor can become a problem, especially where pets and their families share an outdoor space. Thankfully, there are several plants that offer at least a partial solution. Paired with good maintenance practices, these plants can disguise or eliminate the problem.

Pine Trees
    Pine trees produce scent from essential oils in the resin. The scent of the needles is fresh and clean, and if you have nearby trees, the needles are free and relatively easy to gather and spread. Spreading a layer of pine needles where pets typically visit to deposit waste may make it easier to retrieve waste. Pine needles are present in the natural environment and aren't usually purposefully eaten by pets. If you are concerned about pets ingesting pine needles, spread the needles outside of the kennel area--around the perimeter, away from feeding areas--where their scent can still act to mask odors, but pets cannot come into contact with them.

Aromatic Herbs
    Use aromatic herbs nearby to cover unpleasant odors with their own, more pleasing aroma. To get the best result, clean up as much of the waste as possible and dispose of it in a sealed container. This leaves much less material to give off an offensive aroma. Plant a border of herbs around the location where your pet most frequently relieves himself. Basil, oregano, and lavender are among the many herbs that give off a strong scent. Thyme is beneficial because it releases its scent when crushed and can stand up to heavy foot traffic. Mint will multiply quickly, creating a large amount of scent and eliminating the need to pay to replace plants. Homeowners should be aware that mint can grow and spread rapidly, invading your lawn and flowerbeds, making its use a mixed blessing.

Roses
    Roses are among the best flowers to consider for covering odor. Roses enjoy a longer blooming season than many other highly aromatic flowers. Look for a floribunda variety for a plant that produces a greater number of flowers, or locate one of the many varieties recommended by the University of Missouri Extension. The extension recommends rugosas for blooms throughout the season, Damask roses for their highly fragrant flowers and the Konigin von Danemark shrub rose for aromatic blooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

At least you didn't go as far as these guys:)

BBC 26 March 2011
    Defecating dog sparks US shootout Respect property, police said Two neighbours in the US state of Mississippi drew weapons and fired at each other as an argument over a defecating dog ran out of control.

Associated Press news agency said Jerry Blasingame, 60, has been charged with assault for shooting Terry Tehnet, 52, with a shotgun.

Mr Tehnet was angry because he thought Mr Blasingame's dog had defecated on his lawn, in a rural part of the state.

Mr Tehnet, whose injuries are not life-threatening, may also be charged.

The two men gave AP different versions of what happened.

'Meet me at the levee'

Mr Tehnet said he visited his neighbour to complain about dog "poop" on his property.

Mr Blasingame blamed him for shooting his dog the week before, Mr Tehnet said, and told him: "Just meet me at the levee and I'll shoot you down."

Mr Blasingame told AP he got his gun and drove off but Mr Tehnet did not follow so he returned to the neighbourhood.

The two men confronted one another again and each claimed the other produced a weapon first.

"He shot twice, I returned fire," said Mr Blasingame.

Mr Tehnet said Mr Blasingame opened fire first with his shotgun so he took his pistol from his car and fired back.

He said he was hit in both hands, the shoulder, chest and side by shotgun pellets, AP reported.

Washington County Chief Deputy Sheriff Billy Barber said: "Homeowners and property owners need to respect each other's property... If a dog did that in your yard, call the law. Don't take matters into your own hands."

Advertisement