Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer File Transfer?

Options
  • 23-03-2011 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

So, my laptop broke on Sunday, all of my files to do with work are on the laptop and I can't get them out as the screen is completely f*cked, so I was wondering does anyone know where in town would do a file transfer for me for preferably not a ridiculous sum of money..

PC World said they would to a file transfer ONLY if I purchased a laptop with them, at a super deal of 60 euro's!

I don't know if that is a good deal for what I want done but, it seems a bit steep. I just shelled out on a Sony Vaio and I literally do not have a massive amount of money to throw around, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For anyone who was thinking of suggesting the "hook your computer up to another monitor!" idea, I can't. That's not working. :(

T.I.A :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Lornen wrote: »
    So, my laptop broke on Sunday, all of my files to do with work are on the laptop and I can't get them out as the screen is completely f*cked, so I was wondering does anyone know where in town would do a file transfer for me for preferably not a ridiculous sum of money..

PC World said they would to a file transfer ONLY if I purchased a laptop with them, at a super deal of 60 euro's!

I don't know if that is a good deal for what I want done but, it seems a bit steep. I just shelled out on a Sony Vaio and I literally do not have a massive amount of money to throw around, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For anyone who was thinking of suggesting the "hook your computer up to another monitor!" idea, I can't. That's not working. :(

T.I.A :)

How long do you think it will take to do the transfer OP? How much data has to be transfered? I think €60 is cheap. A few years ago I had to send a hard drive to Dublin to have data transfered as the hard drive motor died. That cost nearly €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Have you WIFI at home and was the old laptop linked to the router? Sometimes it is possible to link two laptops to the router and set up a home network - "Networks & Sharing" (There usually is a wizard to do this).

Otherwise try the Computer Repair shop in Lord Edward Street (across from Donaghys), they look sensible unlike PC "Robbers" World.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Offy wrote: »
    How long do you think it will take to do the transfer OP? How much data has to be transfered? I think €60 is cheap. A few years ago I had to send a hard drive to Dublin to have data transfered as the hard drive motor died. That cost nearly €1000.

They're mainly just pictures and that, I work with pictures :pac:
    No files or word documents or anything.

I had the most amazing collection of bookmarks though, devastated they're gone! :(
    Cheers for the advice though! :)

Plazaman wrote: »
    Have you WIFI at home and was the old laptop linked to the router? Sometimes it is possible to link two laptops to the router and set up a home network - "Networks & Sharing" (There usually is a wizard to do this).

Otherwise try the Computer Repair shop in Lord Edward Street (across from Donaghys), they look sensible unlike PC "Robbers" World.

It was hooked up to my own home network and my network at work, but the problem is my wifi light on the laptop that's broken is turned off. It won't go blue it just stays amber no matter how many times I switch it back and forward. Without being able to use the screen I have no idea if it's even still functioning properly.

Was brought up to PC World but no one in that shop knows how to actually fix a computer?! They just know how to send one away for diagnostics.. But they can't really do ANYTHING there, how unusual and slightly alarming..
    Hence why I went else where for my computer..

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

One way to do this would be to take out the hard drive from the broken laptop and put it into a laptop that supports two drives. The files can then be easily copied over, you may even be able to save your bookmarks. PM me if you would like me to do this for you. I am based near Tubbercurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Yes I'm wary of repairs or leaving anything in to PC World for that reason. It sounds as if the hard drive would have to be removed and hooked up to another PC and data transferred. Don't know the guys in Lord Edward Street but they're a fairly new business and might do a good deal. Also Compupac down in Finisklin might be worth a shout.

Incidentally, is the screen physically broke or is it just that the laptop won't boot up properly. Have you tried to start it in safe mode (keep tapping F8 when you turn on computer)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Have you tried linking it up to a TV or monitor via VGA or HDMI if you got one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Try the I&E cafe on Market Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Plazaman wrote: »
    Yes I'm wary of repairs or leaving anything in to PC World for that reason. It sounds as if the hard drive would have to be removed and hooked up to another PC and data transferred. Don't know the guys in Lord Edward Street but they're a fairly new business and might do a good deal. Also Compupac down in Finisklin might be worth a shout.

+1 on Compupac

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sempai

you can get a SATA&IDE USB adapter, don't know if they're available in computer hardware shops, but you can get them online. It requires taking the hard drive out of the laptop, hook it up to the adapter and plug adapter into another laptop/PC, it'll work like an external hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

If time isn't too critical, do a search on ebay for "SATA Laptop USB". (I'm assuming this is a fairly new laptop with a SATA hard drive) Pick a laptop drive enclosure in your budget and preferably in Ireland/UK for quicker delivery. You can take the hard drive out of the old laptop (it is quite easy) and install it in the enclosure. Hook it up to another computer and you can recover your files and bookmarks. If you go down this route, I can provide you with details of where to look on the drive for your files.

If you're looking for a quick fix, some people put up cards on notice boards advertising they do tech work. It's a simple job, but can take a while, that's where the costs can rise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

If your going down the route of taking out the harddrive there may be no need to buy a sata adopter and enclosure. If you can get your hands on a different laptop for a couple of hours you could just pop your harddrive into it and recover all your files that way. Suprisingly easy, usually just a few screws to unscrew and its out.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Hey guys thank you for all the advice! Hopefully I can get it sorted without it breaking the bank, I was hoping to just get someone who wasn't as computer retarded as me to fix it so I'm not looking to do a D.I.Y job and potentially bollox something up myself. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

+1 on compupac. Left my old laptop down there a 4 years ago or so. It was mainly diagnostics but they were able to save my word doucments to CD for me.

So maybe if you had an external hard drive or USB key or something, they might be able to help you, or even just a disk if its a few things.

Bare in mind the diagnostic did cost me €60 or so, but at least didn't have to buy a new laptop as well, so if its just a file transfer they might do something for you.

Also bare in mind most of these prices are labour, I replaced the hard drive on the same laptop, having never done it before it took an hour or so, most of that was twiddling my thumbs waiting on the operating system to reload. Would do it in half that now. Most computer shops might do it quicker but will still charge per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

I have an external enclosure for laptop drives. I've used it here at work numerous times to recover data from laptops where you cannot boot up due to other hardware issues. It involves removing the hard drive from the laptop and placing it in the enclosure. Basically it becomes an external hard drive. Then its simply hooking the enclosure up to another laptop or PC and copy the files off it.
    If you like I can look have at this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

If you bring the laptop down to me, I'll get the data off it for you. No charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Basq wrote: »
    If you bring the laptop down to me, I'll get the data off it for you. No charge!

Isn't he a pet Lornen?!

Basq, my screen has gone too, is it a nightmare to fix? If not possible I'll need to get my photos off the hard drive. Could you PM me with a price for checking whether salvageable or retrieving photos?

Thanks.

Shouldn't be a problem to get photos off the drive..

.. but replacing laptop screen's aren't really my forté however.
    Offy wrote: »
    But Lornen's laptop hard disk doesn't sound as if corrupted or damaged, it's the display module or something in that area that's gone belly up (that's a technical term, I'll have you know! ;)).

Hooking it up to an HDD enclosure (as rhonin mentioned) will get the files off the disk providing that's not damaged.

But yeah, data recovery from damaged can be VERY VERY pricey.. and also very time consuming activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

If you have a LED or Plasma with a computer slot you can make a handy little gadget out of the laptop with the faulty screen. Connect the laptop to the TV press the "FN" key (to left of spacebar) and one of the number keys with a picture of a blue screen on it to switch output to TV. Get a wireless keyboard and mouse and your away. Thats the rough idea, google would give a better explanation on how to do it though..

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cartoncowboy

If you want this this sorted then drop the machine into compupac. They will assess the machine and try to copy the data off for you to CD/memory stick. This is normally not a problem as long as the drive isnt found to be faulty itself. At the same time they will assess the screen for you also. Again if this is beyond repair whch most of them are then you will be quoted for repair before they go ahead. The fee for the service is 70.00 regardless of the no of hours the engineer spends working on your machine. I know this as i work there. We do this type of thing day in day out.

We had a Sony Vaio in recently with a screen beyond repair and the quote from sony for a replacement was ridiculous and the user ended up buying a new machine either way. We find Sony generally overpriced for laptops and when a problem occurs we have to deal with the UK and they are a nightmare.

Unfortunately the two most expensive parts of a laptop to repair/replace are the LCD panel and the systemboard.

Anywho as i said we can get the data off for you provided the drive is in good nick, what u decide to do after that is your call.

Cheers
    Gav

Sorry Lornen.

I completely forgot about this - will get the drive off you this evening or tomorrow.

Whatever suits!

PS - TQB.. let me know if you want me to get the data off your disk too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 nanif

I fix computers and would be willing to help you out.

Mod note

Ad removed. PM if interested.

Advertisement