Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Race to the Sun

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 RTTSAUTISM2011

Hi there! Yes, myself and my friend signed up for it and fundraising and training hard!!

Actually arranging a Fundraising Night on April 8th if fancy passing details around....

Date: April 8th
    Time 19.30 – Late
    Venue: Grange Woodbine Community Centre, Raheny

TABLE QUIZ, LIVE BAND AND RAFFLE ON THE NIGHT!!
    Tickets: €10 (Includes Entry to Table Quiz)

Cheers for that!! You got any training tips as myself and friend are big time novices at this!! How does a day normally work in terms of cycling 90 miles in a day? how long on and off the bike etc...?! What food and drink would you recommend for the day?

Any takers on the quiz night? April 8th €10 for ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 frant2

Im no expert meself, there is some great advice in other threads regarding training and diet. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70519272

I think the Race to the Sun is going to be relaxed enough, no minimum time required like LEtape so you can take your time and stop if you need a breather and there will be support cars. The route seems to be a combination of flats with some 4-6 degree climbs and descents a couple of small 8 – 9 degree but as far as I know these are short so if its too steep then walk up. 100 miles on a bike is not too bad if you spread it out over a day. The Guy organising it seems very helpful.

For what its worth, we train in Wicklow - city centre to Sally Gap via Rathfarnham is a good run with a few nice climbs and you can add on the miles to suit yourself. We are going to try do 100km + cycles from now on and a couple of shorter mid week cycles. If you do a few longer training runs it will give you a good idea of what you need in terms of nutrition and equipment. I think your gear ratios are very important for long climbing. Ive got a 12 - 28 cassette on my bike which gets me up the Gap. However, I'm no expert so maybe someone else could advise on that one?

Thanks for that!! Im living out in balbriggan so doing some cycles around that way and slowly building up for few big cycles in coming weeks!!

considering the miles doing in a day if we are doing 100km with ease and not falling off the bike at end would this be good enough training?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shnob bvc

Hi,

A couple of us are doing it too

Any advice on nutrition/fluids?

Also, have not received any info from organizors yet !!

Cheers

Hi there!! Havent heard anything recently since they rang up about t shirt sizes about 2 or 3 weeks ago!!!

Have you been training much as dreading it...!!! Gonna be a tough cycle!!!! :)

Friend of mine told me about getting trail mix nuts to pick at while cycling as good for keeping energy levels up!! Also there is a powder in Holland & Barrett ISO Energy that is meant to be great so will be bringing some of that!!

Cheers,

Will.

Advertisement