Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi Solid Floor acoustic underlay

Options
  • 23-03-2011 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

We're putting in 14mm semisolid flooring upstairs over existing floorboards. The floor upstairs is on 9" joists. We will float the floor and in order to reduce noise I want to use an underlay that has good acoustic (impact) insulation, without being overly expensive. I'm thinking of SilentWool http://www.sheepwoolinsulation.ie/products/silentwool_floor.asp which is 21db presumably for the 4mm and not the 2mm thickness. It'll work out at €75 for 20 sqm however and before we proceed has anyone used this product before? Does anyone have any alternative, cheaper suggestions and where can I buy them? We're not choosing SilentWool for any environmental reasons, so everything will be considered. Any help appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

2mm is what the product will compress to under the weight of your floor finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

What was on the floorboards before?
    If carpet, u may be disappointed by how any of this sort of stuff works as sound is very hard to contain.

In passing I see from the link
    SilentFloor is also available with or without a plastic membrane to protect the floor from the moisture escape of concrete subfloors.

and then

Installation: By design, SilentWool: Floor will unroll with the moisture layer on top (where fitted).

Having the moisture layer on top sounds a bit sheepish to me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Can you use that silentwool stuff as accoustic/thermal underlay for carpeting aswell?

My master bedroom floor is done in 19mm thick plywood sheets,so Im just wondering??:confused:

Advertisement