Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Honours irish hints??

• 23-03-2011 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

hi there. just wondering has anyone heard any hints on whats to come up on the leaving cert paper 2 this year?? havent heard any yet..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Aileen123

Hey, well my irish teacher seems to have good links and almost always predicts well and she predicts oiche nollaig na mban for sure but dont blame me if thats wrong! I'm only learning that one maigdileana and an mhathair i think one of them will definately show up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 claire_p

heard bout them 2 too, but hadnt heard oiche nollaig, so thanks for that! heard anything on an toilean? because im a mature student, and sat this exam last year to try get a c3 (only got a d2) and an toilean was a big tipped poem for last years paper, and it didnt come up, so possibly im thinkin that it may come up this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Aileen123

Hmmm i dunno i guess its hard to know! I thought that too cause it hasn't came up in ages but i havent heard it being likely..I think either oiche nollaig na mban or maigdileana really there the only two male poets except for the ones that came up last year so i'm banking on them. are you doing an triail as your drama?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rosewaterstone

any idea what pros are coming up?....and what kind of essay??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Princess25

I am also a mature student I got a D1 last year and hoping for a C3. I hope the essay is something along the lines of the state the country is in??? For the poetry I was thinking an toilean because it didnt come up last year. Also Maigdileana hasnt been on since 2007 so maybe??? Its just difficult to predict any of it. pros im hoping for Lig sinn i gCathu maybe Clare sa speir. And also maybe gealt for poetry and bimse??? The course is so broad its annoying....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

whats the basics of lig sinn i gcathu!??! my teacher can't explain it at all and i have no clue what it was about... i just got my head around the chicken story... :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

xaoifsx
    Basically its about this guy in college who is going to the presidents office to collect a cheque and in it there is a detailed description of a guard the president and some security guy. I really hope it doesn't come up, its a horrible story.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

it is a horrible story..its so long and theres no end to it.. its so pointless i think so i just cuoldnt get my head around it...i want either fiche bliain ag fas and the chicken one to defo come up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭anfieldrd

Princess25 wrote: »
    I am also a mature student I got a D1 last year and hoping for a C3. I hope the essay is something along the lines of the state the country is in??? For the poetry I was thinking an toilean because it didnt come up last year. Also Maigdileana hasnt been on since 2007 so maybe??? Its just difficult to predict any of it. pros im hoping for Lig sinn i gCathu maybe Clare sa speir. And also maybe gealt for poetry and bimse??? The course is so broad its annoying....

I think either oiche nollaig na mban, an toilean and maigdileana, maybe jack too. For prose Im not really sure, love if an cearrabhach came up, but lig sin i gcathu or an bean og maybe. For the essay I reckon something along the lines of the state of the country or that. Whats everyone doing for stair, have not even looked at it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

C__ wrote: »
    xaoifsx
    Basically its about this guy in college who is going to the presidents office to collect a cheque and in it there is a detailed description of a guard the president and some security guy. I really hope it doesn't come up, its a horrible story.

I agree with you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

Well my teacher is thinking Oiche Nollag na mBan and An tOilean for the honours poetry, Bimse Buan too, possibly Níl Aon Ní?? For pros she thinks Lig Sinn i gCathú, An Bhean Óg and An Cearrbhach Mac Cába

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Has anyone heard of any essays likely to come up? I'm thinking environment(natural disasters etc) or the state of the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

I'm hoping for the bad state the country's in!! Or anything to do with drugs and alcohol!

does anyone know what cearrbhach is about? it's been up so much and i haven't got a clue what it's about.. honours poetry i think magdileana, an mathair and an t-oilean could be up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 lmwell

I think (hope) that the most likely to appear on Paper 2 will be:

Q1
    Lig Sinn i gCathu

Q3A
    Jack
    Bimse Buan

Q3C
    Magdileana
    Oiche Nollag/An Mathar

I think after that it could be anything but theyre the ones Im really really banking on.

Oh ps. I dont know why everyone is saying An t-Oilean??

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

An Cearrbhach, An Bhean Og & Lig Sinn

Oiche Nollaig...
    An toilean
    An Mhathair

but seriously i'd be more worried about paper 1, the poems and all make up way less marks than the essays

lmwell wrote: »

Q1
    Lig Sinn i gCathu

Q3A
    Jack
    Bimse Buan

Q3C
    Magdileana
    Oiche Nollag/An Mathar

I think after that it could be anything but theyre the ones Im really really banking on.

An t-oilean hasn't been on since 06 and is due

if i learn sport, religion, the media, education, irish(would love this one), drugs, alcohol, politics, suicide do ya think i'll have enough topics covered for the essays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

For the aiste on paper 1 I'd say the state of the country, social problems/dangers in life, the Irish language. I think there's lots of choice on paper 1 anyway, it's a nice enough exam imo.

From what I've heard for paper 2...
    lig sinn/an bhean og/cearrbhach
    bimse buan/jack
    maighdileana/an toilean/oiche nollaig/an mathair.
    an fhiannaiocht/ruraiocht,ogham&na hannala...that's all I've heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ladybike

claire_p wrote: »
    hi there. just wondering has anyone heard any hints on whats to come up on the leaving cert paper 2 this year?? havent heard any yet..

4 Honours Poems
    (Oiche Nollaig, Maigdileana, An t-Oilean agus Dan do Mhelissa)
    4 Pass Poems
    (Any 4 really, impossible to call :()
    4 Pros
    (All except Fiche Bliain)
    6 Stairs
    (Athbheochan, Gaeilge mar Teanga Ceilteach, Gaeilge sa Meain, Fiannaiocht, Ogham agus Aisling P)

I'm repeating the Leaving and got an A2 in this last year, the predictions were spot on.

HOWEVER, Depending at what level you are at, you could do more/less than this. If you are an A student, the chances are you will have the 'liofeacht' to be able to write something on poems or Pros that you havn't studied very well, while a C student may need to cover 6 to 7 Honours poems, and all the Pros and Pass.. Hope this helps!

• Advertisement

lmwell wrote: »

Q1
    Lig Sinn i gCathu

Q3A
    Jack
    Bimse Buan

Q3C
    Magdileana
    Oiche Nollag/An Mathar

they are saying an t-oilean, beacuse it was tipped for last year, and never came up, and it has only been up once since it was on this course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

Question:
    In stair na gaeilge 2007,(d) it says na danta gra cuirte.
    Is this na danta gra or na cuirteanna filiochta.
    Please answer this as i wudnt no which it is if this q comes up this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

MikeHough wrote: »
    Question:
    In stair na gaeilge 2007,(d) it says na danta gra cuirte.
    Is this na danta gra or na cuirteanna filiochta.
    Please answer this as i wudnt no which it is if this q comes up this year

Ya thanks a lot for answering everyone.........:mad::mad::mad:

MikeHough wrote: »
    Ya thanks a lot for answering everyone.........:mad::mad::mad:

only reason i didnt answer is because i dont know!! had to cut back on some part of the course because i ran out of time, and left out stair na gaeilge..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

RE: Dánta grá Cúirte. You would be mainly talking about Dánta Grá because they are looking for the themes etc that are relevant to the Dánta Grá as opposed to the cúirteanna filíochta which was essentially just an meeting/organisation where poetry was written. You could refernece that as a point, it wouldn't be any harm.

Re: predictions: I would definetly look at Óiche Nollaig na mBan: The dept. love Seán Ó Riordáin and it is a poem that could come up every year, asked in loads of different ways. so much scope and not been up since 2008. An t-Oiléan is a nice safe one too, easy to quickly revise as an option. And An Mhathair, is a nice one too. Watch out for tréithe na Fiannaíochta throughout, íomhánna, agus codarsnacht.

Lig sin i gCathú will more than likely feature look out for characters and themes, does martin protray the likely student etc.

Cearrbhach: if its to come up, would be in section A more than likely. The character of An Chearrbhach or codarsnacht between him and Bás and Dia

An Bhean óg: nice and easy. Universal theme of lonliness etc..

Jack/Gealt/Bimse Buan. Possibly having to answer Bimse buan or Jack.

Stair: make sure you do Ruraíocht AND Fiannaíocht! don't take the risk and look at Gaeltachtaí/ Gaeilge sna Meáin Chum/ Ogham+Gluaiseanna/ Gae. Mar theanga Cheilteach and Aisling pol (seeming Uirchill prob wont appear)

Ádh mór :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

RE: Dánta grá Cúirte. You would be mainly talking about Dánta Grá because they are looking for the themes etc that are relevant to the Dánta Grá as opposed to the cúirteanna filíochta which was essentially just an meeting/organisation where poetry was written. You could refernece that as a point, it wouldn't be any harm.

Re: predictions: I would definetly look at Óiche Nollaig na mBan: The dept. love Seán Ó Riordáin and it is a poem that could come up every year, asked in loads of different ways. so much scope and not been up since 2008. An t-Oiléan is a nice safe one too, easy to quickly revise as an option. And An Mhathair, is a nice one too. Watch out for tréithe na Fiannaíochta throughout, íomhánna, agus codarsnacht.

Lig sin i gCathú will more than likely feature look out for characters and themes, does martin protray the likely student etc.

Cearrbhach: if its to come up, would be in section A more than likely. The character of An Chearrbhach or codarsnacht between him and Bás and Dia

An Bhean óg: nice and easy. Universal theme of lonliness etc..

Jack/Gealt/Bimse Buan. Possibly having to answer Bimse buan or Jack.

Stair: make sure you do Ruraíocht AND Fiannaíocht! don't take the risk and look at Gaeltachtaí/ Gaeilge sna Meáin Chum/ Ogham+Gluaiseanna/ Gae. Mar theanga Cheilteach and Aisling pol (seeming Uirchill prob wont appear)

Ádh mór :)

Cheers. Quite helpful :)

I was wondering why my teacher predicted Oiche Nollag na mBan, it doesn't seem all that likely from looking at past trends. No moreso than about 4 or 5 others. I hope it does come up, it's the only poem I could actually say I "liked".

i am hoping for the paper this year that the following comes up in paper 2

pros
    any except lig sinn, and that cearrbhach isn't the compulsary one..

an triail
    a charachter question comes up

Pass poems
    dont mind, once bimse buan isnt the compulsary one..

hons poems
    any from:
    maigdilena
    an mhatar
    oiche nollaig
    dan do mhellisa
    an chead drama
    (they're the only ones i know)

stair na gaeilge
    ruraiocht
    fhianiocht
    na hannala
    aisling
    an gaeltacht
    gael linn
    gaeilge sa meain cumarsaide
    mairtin o dieran
    mairead ne ghrada
    caitlin maude

do you all think that's enough? i know an t-oilean is due, but i just dont like it and it's too long to cover by tuesday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭anfieldrd

Just wondering for paper 2, drama section, can you use on triail in the drama roghnach?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

anfieldrd wrote: »
    Just wondering for paper 2, drama section, can you use on triail in the drama roghnach?

No

• Advertisement
Advertisement