Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interested in the Honours Engineering Course?

Options
  • 23-03-2011 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

For anybody who graduated from the 3 year computer engineering course. There has been some speculation of running a one year add-on honours degree this year, no crappy "ad-hoc" modules like entrepreneurial engineering, just accredited material as described in the original 4th & 5th year modules.

But, they will need a very strong show of interest, I'd say at least 10. Myself and my old classmate have expressed interest so if you want to pursue that Beng(Hons) which will help land "that" job you want. Comment here and contact the college and express your interest to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

I understand you want to create as much interest in this as possible.. but try not to slam other course in the process :rolleyes:

The add on honours course seems be in numbers trouble a lot lately, for mech or computer engineering. This one year thing sounds good. But honestly I wouldn't set your hopes on it going ahead, your best bet is someone in your year being already signed up for those years.. that way it'll go ahead... otherwise your in trouble it's happened to lads I knew in mechatronics and they had to go through the whole express your interest thing too. It didn't pan out... here's hoping it does for you though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I'd be shocked if they manage to trim the two-year addon into a one year addon and have it running in September this year.

It would also annoy me seen as I had to do the full five years!

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 48 vinnyirl

jme2010 wrote: »
    For anybody who graduated from the 3 year computer engineering course. There has been some speculation of running a one year add-on honours degree this year, no crappy "ad-hoc" modules like entrepreneurial engineering, just accredited material as described in the original 4th & 5th year modules.

But, they will need a very strong show of interest, I'd say at least 10. Myself and my old classmate have expressed interest so if you want to pursue that Beng(Hons) which will help land "that" job you want. Comment here and contact the college and express your interest to.

Slamming other courses is a bad idea. If you don't like a course then don't do it, no need to call it crappy just because you don't understand it. FYI the entrepreneurial course is for students who want to take a different path in life, there are a lot of people who don't want to follow the masses into a salary job and then shortly after onto the dole queue.

How is the college going to cram a 2 year course into one year without losing something? They will obviously need to cut modules out, probably the most expensive ones which are usually the most useful to an employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

vinnyirl wrote: »
    . If you don't like a course then don't do it, no need to call it crappy just because you don't understand it.

Vinny. I was in the course with you. It is for all intents and purposes, a farce. I know it. All my computer engineer classmates know it, and a well respected lecturer knows and confirmed its ad-hoc non-sense.

FYI the entrepreneurial course is for students who want to take a different path in life.

Yes, the path to an eight year stint in college.
    "entrepreneurial course" "different path in life."

I thought that to, or at least I was blind sided or "tricked" into thinking it. I also thought it was a semi-respectable choice for an engineer. But as we all found out, that was not ever going to be the case. Just look at those "buzz words" the stinking course description is full of them.

If you want to talk about the present economy to prove your point. The point is you will not be employed in a computer engineering role. At least not with an ordinary degree in one hand and a degree NOBODY HAS EVER HEARD OF in the other. It’s laughable.

Don't defend something just because you feel hard done by the fact you were stuck with it.

You could save face by saying. "ok its not a real engineering course, but I sort of like doing business instead of soldering a pcb board."

• Registered Users Posts: 48 vinnyirl

"It is for all intents and purposes, a farce. I know it. All my computer engineer classmates know it, and a well respected lecturer knows and confirmed its ad-hoc non-sense."

All of this is opinion and nothing more, just because someone says something doesn't make it fact. In FACT entrepreneurship courses are thought in a lot of foreign colleges mainly in the states.

Where do you get an 8 year stint from it’s a one year add-on to a 3 year course. 3+1=4 or maybe you’re talking about the master’s which is also a one year add-on to the honours degree again not 8 years.

The fact that you talk about not being able to get a job with this degree proves that you haven’t got a clue about this course. It's not for people who want to work for someone else it’s for people who want to start a business or at least join a start-up company who need people with more knowledge than just how to make a product prototype. And how can you say you were conned it was in the name.

If you had of stayed in the course long enough to get past the initial mess (which comes with all new courses) you would see the engineering come through yes you have to do law, write business plans and create marketing campaigns but you would have still been in the lab or workshop every second day working on an engineering project.

No I don’t feel hard done by, I like this course I have learned a mountain of information and I am in the process of setting up two companies, dependant on the outcome of the SU elections of course.

FYI very little of what is thought in colleges is real engineering, real engineering is being paid to do engineering work either by yourself or by a company.

• Advertisement
Advertisement