Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chelmsford

Options
  • 23-03-2011 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hey there,
    Just wondering what chelsford is like to live if anyone has any advice, myself and the gf might be moving there due to work in the next few months and dont want to go somewhere thats rubbish, she being a 24 year old nurse and me being a 27 year old electrican.
    So is it ok, brilliant or just crap does anyone know??

Living in Edinburgh now and love it but prob have to leave due to work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Country lane

Hmmm, Chelmsford is a squaddie town so not somewhere that i'd be looking to live. That said, just because your working there doesnt mean you have to live there. There are plenty of lovely places near to it that you could live in and commute in to Chelmsford. Head to Brentwood hang out at sugar hut and you could become a star on the 'only way is Essex' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

Yeh Chelmsford is most definitely a barracks town, and in my (admittedly meagre experience) drunk English soldiers tend to get very anti-Irish if they hear an accent in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

Cheers for the replys folks, there are a number of places that we are looking into, chelmsford is now off that list. Was Dubious about the place alright and hadn't heard the best of things about it so somewhere else it is!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

I spend a lot of time there because my girlfriend lives just outside it...

Pluses - great transport links to London, the amenities are good, beautiful countryside around, great walks, outdoor stuff to do, cinema, loads of decent enough shops, and some really nice countryside pubs in the surrounding areas, quite a nice looking town, the odd decent pub in the town centre as well and looks to be a decent few restaurants about.

Negatives - some very, very scummy people, a general sense of menace in the town centre late at night, can apparently be an awful lot of fights at closing time outside one of the many very, very scummy clubs...

Overall, it does have some great points, but the chavvy-ness balances them out.

Hey all,
    Again cheers for the replys, even though after the responses we got we are now moving to Chelmsford as herself got a job there so twas too good to turn down really.

Would any of ye know of any areas good to live near the Broomfield Hospital, that would be close to transport and amenities?

Also, can anyone recommend any good websites for flats? Im checking gumtree all the time but not a whole lot on there at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I think there's rentals on rightmove. most estate agents also have their own websites so if you see houses For Sale in an area it's likely that that estate agent also has places for rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Hi Codofwar,

Firstly, Chelmsford as far as I remember is Not a Barrack town, perhaps people are getting confused with Colchester?

If you search on rightmove you will find rentals in Broomfield which is right next to the hospital, or just go on google maps and look at the area.

Most estate agents in England tend to advertise on Rightmove or Primelocation, there aren't so many agents with their own websites any more.

Also not all selling agents deal with lettings, it is a more involved process than just selling properties.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

M.

monkeynuz wrote: »

If you search on rightmove you will find rentals in Broomfield which is right next to the hospital, or just go on google maps and look at the area.

Most estate agents in England tend to advertise on Rightmove or Primelocation, there aren't so many agents with their own websites any more.
    While almost all estate agents advertise on Rightmove and Primelocation I don't know where you got the idea that they don't have their own websites. :)

Chelmsford-based agents:
    BeresfordsSales and Lettings
    [URL=URL=http://www.owenlyons.co.uk/]OwenLyons[/URL] - Sales and Lettings
    Balches - Sales and Lettings
    Adrians - Sales only (this website is actually Rightmove aligned)
    McCartney - Sales and Lettings
    There's also Spicer McColl, Strutt and Parker, John D Wood etc all based in Chelmsford.

I bought my house via an independent estate agent with their own website. They did sales and lettings too. No doubt there are many independent Lettings Only agents but most Sales agents in my experience also do lettings :)

Oh dear,

You have obviously misunderstood my posting (such a shame when that happens) :(

What I DID say was that not ALL selling agents deal with lettings, and that has been my experience of growing up and living in the east of England most of my life, in fact some of the agents in the Chelmsford area have only just recently started offering lettings.

Also you state that I said "agents don't have their own websites" what I actually did say was "there aren't so many with their own websites any more"

Also you state in your rather inexhaustive list of Chelmsford estate agents that Adrians is Rightmove aligned, not exactly, they merely pay rightmove to host their contact details as they don't have their own website!

I was merely offering advice to the OP that Rightmove and Primelocation would be a good place to start because they have listings from most of agents on their site.

Please don't mis quote/understand me, I could take it the wrong way and think that you were picking on me.

Personally I would choose a village outside of Chelmsford to live.

Anyway, hope this has cleared thigs up.

M.

Touch touchy! All I did was correct the misperception that you were generating. :)

You said:
    There aren't so many agents with their own websites anymore

A blatant mistruth that I corrected it with just a few (inexhaustive ;)) examples all of which are local to Chelmsford. I would have thought they would be enough for anyone to realise that what you posted was an over-simplified and not very accurate generalisation.

It also offers the OP some other options to Rightmove and Primelocation, although I do agree with you that these and perhaps mouseprice are some of the best property websites in the UK. They are also the first places I would search but only a fool would ignore the local places.

I live in East Anglia myself and can tell you from my experience (obviously different to yours) that most estate agents I've visted (and I've been to lots) had their own websites and dealt with sales AND lettings.

Oh and "Oh dear" yourself :D

• Advertisement

I did not say a blatant mistruth, there are some agents in Chelmsford also even ones that you mentioned that do not have their own websites.

I was only trying to give my advice to person as I am sure you were.

Please don't be rude to me or brand my comments as mistruths.

Referring someone to Rightmove or Primlocation merely gathers most of the agents in one place as perhaps what I meant by my original posting is that most agents even if they do have their own website, which some in Chelmsford do not, will also have a presence on Rightmove or Primelocation.

I never suggested you don't live in East Anglia, I was merely offering a comment from my point of view as being someone who was born and brought up there.

I am not being "touchy" I just don't like being picked on.

I never suggested you hadn't been to lots of estate agents, but I also have considerable experience of them, buying and selling in more than one country on many occasions.

I never type anything without first knowing the facts.

Oh and for your information John D Wood is affilliated with the (Essentially the London and South East "posher range") Abbotts network so is automatically on Rightmove.

I am finding your tone rather uncomfortable.

Please do not refer to anything I have said any further otherwise I will take it as bullying.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I did not say a blatant mistruth, there are some agents in Chelmsford also even ones that you mentioned that do not have their own websites.
    Some does not equate to the paucity of websites that you maintained existed. I corrected that statement, that's not bullying.
    I was only trying to give my advice to person as I am sure you were.
    Indeed, let's not fight!
    Please don't be rude to me or brand my comments as mistruths.
    What you said was incorrect, a mistruth (not a lie!).
    Referring someone to Rightmove or Primlocation merely gathers most of the agents in one place as perhaps what I meant by my original posting is that most agents even if they do have their own website, which some in Chelmsford do not, will also have a presence on Rightmove or Primelocation.
    You are totally correct in that assertion and I agree wholeheartedly.
    I never suggested you don't live in East Anglia, I was merely offering a comment from my point of view as being someone who was born and brought up there.
    I was merely offering a different opinion (not bullying) based on my personal experience of living here and having used many estate agents.
    I am not being "touchy" I just don't like being picked on.
    I wasn't picking on you.
    I never suggested you hadn't been to lots of estate agents, but I also have considerable experience of them, buying and selling in more than one country on many occasions.
    So do I :)
    I never type anything without first knowing the facts.
    I didn't suggest that you didn't know the facts, I suggested that your first post on this thread gave off a perception that was different from the facts as I know them.
    Oh and for your information John D Wood is affilliated with the (Essentially the London and South East "posher range") Abbotts network so is automatically on Rightmove.
    Indeed he is as are most estate agents as you mentioned earlier :)
    I am finding your tone rather uncomfortable.

Please do not refer to anything I have said any further otherwise I will take it as bullying.
    Sorry that challenging what you say makes you uncomfortable. You need to be prepared to be challenged if you are going to post on internet forums. If you don't want to be challenged, start a blog and disable comments from readers.

I've already stated that you are not being bullied. I am the moderator of the forum you are posting in and an Administrator on this site. I do not bully our users. I will agree with, disagree with, lightly challenge, heavily challenge, have good times with and bad times with fellow users but I will never, ever bully. Learn the difference between challenging, robust discussion and bullying.

Codofwar, apologies for the huge sidetrack on this thread but I believe that you now at least have a lot of information about Chelmsford including detailed analysis (:p) of the estate agents and resources available for accommodation. :)

Hey Guys,
    Cheers for all the info, sorry that ye ended up not quite agreeing on things but all of the above is a massive help. The plan now is that herself is gonna move down 2 weeks ahead of me as her work starts then and try to find a place to live using all of the above information and a bit of walking around when she gets there!

Thanks heaps and also if ye think of anything else then feel free to post as the more info the better.

Advertisement