Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SATA drive didn't work, now it does. Do they have surge protection?

• 23-03-2011 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hello, my friend gave me their Western Digital external harddrive to see if I could fix it as it wasn't working for them. Someone had plugged the wrong power cable into it and after that it wouldn't power on.

I tried it and it did indeed not power on. I took it apart, and took the harddrive out of it. It's a standard 3.5 inch SATA drive. I put it all back together again and it still wouldn't power on.

I took the drive out of the case again and this time stuck it in my PC. I pressed the power button on the PC to turn it on - the power LED in the front of the PC gave a little flash and then nothing. I jabbed the power button on the PC a few more times but it did nothing. Oh oh!

I unplugged the harddrive, unplugged the PC power cable and stuck it in again, turned off and on the little power switch at the back of the PC and then turned on the PC. This time it started up okay.

I then plugged the harddrive back in again and repeated the process. This time I was successful - the PC powered on and found the harddrive and I was able to recover the files off of it.

I thought the printed circuit board in the external case that attached the drive to the USB and power port must have blown but when I stuck the harddrive back in it, low and behold it worked fine!

So my question is, does a SATA drive have some kind of surge/damage protection that prevent it from powering up? The drive somehow stopped both the external case and the PC from even being turned on but once I tripped something in it it worked fine again.

In any case I'll be advising my friend to get a new harddrive!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I did what your friend did, to a western digital elements 1TB drive. I plugged in my netwooks power cord 20V instead of 12V. I had to return it to WD and they sent me a brand new one under warranty. I just told them it stopped working.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WaterWolf

Actually this was also a 1TB Elements drive. I'm not sure if it's under warranty anymore though...

They come with a 2 year warranty unlike the more expensive WD drives with 3 and 5 year warranties

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WaterWolf

Well I can't really send it back to them if it's working again now! :p

WaterWolf wrote: »
    Well I can't really send it back to them if it's working again now! :p

Good news :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement