Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever met anyone famous in Waterford?

Options
  • 23-03-2011 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭

Got talking about this with the lads last week and thought it might make an interesting thread.

So have you ever met anyone Famous in/around town? I'm not that good I'm afraid I bumped into Jack Charlton down in the tower hotel years ago and actually talked to him I'd say for a good few minutes. Pure gent.

Other then that I played against Noel Hunt(Currently with Reading) and Daryl Murphy(Celtic) in football. the former still easily being the best player by some margin I have ever been on the same pitch as.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr check raise

Sir Alex dropped into Waterford Crystal for a while where my mom worked. I got a photo taken with him. Paul McGrath(probably on the beer) was another. Not a celeb but the hurler Kevin Moran as a 6foot 12 year old managed to get like 6 goals against me when I played for Southend.

Andy Townsend and Mark Calcevecchia(played Clancy Bowe in Tramore GC before the British Open). Its mainly soccer players and sports people because who in their right mind would come down here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Joe dolan and Sean Kelly lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

I met Steve Davis in John Street one day, lovely fella altogether.

Does Ray Foley count?:D If so I met him while he done his show from Ruby's about a year ago, he'd DJ'ed there the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I guess for simplicity anyone who we have heard of counts. For god sake Noel Hunt is from Co. Waterford :)

Steve Davis is a good one. Some of the ones the Lads mentioned were impressive enough, well compared to mine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

I met Alex Higgins (snooker player) in Prendervilles in the Glen years and years ago. Very friendly and chatted to me and my parents for a while. Mostly my parents, I was about 7/8 years old at the time.

• Advertisement

mecco wrote: »
    I met Alex Higgins (snooker player) in Prendervilles in the Glen years and years ago. Very friendly and chatted to me and my parents for a while. Mostly my parents, I was about 7/8 years old at the time.

The Hurricane, now thats a good'un.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I didn't but did anyone happen to run into Mick and Charlie from the Stones when they dropped down to Waterford for dinner in the Granville while recording Voodoo Lounge back in '93?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

I met the whan that played Mary in glenroe, down in lombard st chipper a few years ago haha she was down for some play..

Also met the copper from killinascully in electric avenue twice when he was down for a play.. have a pic of me and him locked somewhere too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I met Packie Bonner in Dungarvan Golf Club and spoke with him for a few mins. A gent.

My mam met Barry McGuigan on Emmet St! He was down to buy dogs.

My sister met Larry Mullen Jnr out at the Freewheelers weekend at The Sweep.

At Ballytruckle, Bono asked my father-in-law for directions to the motorbike place in Ozier.

Anyone remember a road-race down by the RSC many years ago? John Treacy, Eamonn Coghlan and Steve Cram all ran in it.

Father met Johnny cash on jury's. He met Alex fergason up there aswell, ould Bertie couldn't make it down for some meal so me father got his tickets and sat at the table next to fergies lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If anyone says Chris Doran you have to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

I saw Mick Lally (RIP) - Miley from Glenroe a few years ago in Tesco Poleberry, I was really tempted to go over, but he didnt look in the best form and gave me a look like "I know you know who I am but please dont"...so I left it

If anyone says Chris Doran you have to leave

He hardly counts as famous haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Not me, but my sister met Pete Doherty and Kate Moss when he played Ten there a couple of years back.

She was playing support for him and had a ciggie and a chat outside with the pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Saw a few

The Human League
    The Smiths
    Paul Oakenfeld
    The Prodigy
    Saw Shannon Doherty walking by the Tower Hotel - it was only when she passed I copped who it was
    Paul Mcgrath
    Alex Higgins in the Butler
    Niall Quinn

But my main claim to fame was winning a backstage pass to meet Buster Bloodvessel of Bad Manners when they played in the Savoy about 30years ago - only about 40 people turned up which was a shame cos they were excellent - he was as mad off stage as well - really nice lad and he came out and met all my mates who were waiting outside:eek::eek::eek:

Nearly forgot maet Jason byrne after the Forum mad as a hatter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 HighKingOfIre

Pete Doherty and The Smiths etc are actual celeb spots.

GAA and soccer players that 1000's of local lads played against over the years are not.

Anyway my one is Samuel L Jackson, met him in Waterford castle golf club a good few years back, think he was filming a movie in liverpool or somewhere at the time and came over for a game of golf. Thoroughly nice fella although not knowing anything about films I could only talk about golf with him!

Feck how could I forget meeting the great kevin bloody wilson. What a legend. Met tommy tiernen aswell but he's a wanker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

gscully wrote: »
    My sister met Larry Mullen Jnr out at the Freewheelers weekend at The Sweep.

I met him in a pub in Howth in Dublin... he was a complete gent to meet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Bobby Charlton when he played a few games for Waterford...I must have been only about 10 or 11 ..I remember I ran onto the pitch at the end of the game and gave him a pat on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Said hello to Daniel Day Lewis in the autoport garage on the Cork Rd yonks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,347 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Saw united player John O Shea in Electric Avenue a few years ago.

Saw Duke Special outside there too a few years back.

other than some waterford hurlers thats it.

Vanilla Ice came into where i worked last year but i had the day off (saw the pictures )

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

I saw Jimmy farrell in Alfies just last night....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Tommy Tiernan and Gerry Adams is all really.

Father has met John Cleese, Alex Ferguson, Bob Dylan, Quentin Tarantino, Frank Kelly (fixed his car when it broke down on the quay) and a couple of others.

Nothing surprises me with that man anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Jocky Wilson - the only sportsman whose career ended from cutting down on alcohol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

phil babb, jamie redknapp, phil taylor, james wade, terry jenkins, daniel day lewis about 3 years ago, roy keane, ronnie whelan, ray houghton, packie bonner, stacey from the Xfactor, Ferguson, the 2 Hunts and John O shea obviously, Every top Jockey and horse trainer and owner, john Magnier, Jp McManus, Alex Higgins, Jimmy White, the prodigy, Tiger Woods, Sergio Garcia, there is more will post later

tankbarry wrote: »
    phil babb, jamie redknapp, phil taylor, james wade, terry jenkins, daniel day lewis about 3 years ago, roy keane, ronnie whelan, ray houghton, packie bonner, stacey from the Xfactor, Ferguson, the 2 Hunts and John O shea obviously, Every top Jockey and horse trainer and owner, john Magnier, Jp McManus, Alex Higgins, Jimmy White, the prodigy, Tiger Woods, Sergio Garcia, there is more will post later

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

chelloveks wrote: »
    I saw Jimmy farrell in Alfies just last night....

Haha thread winner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

tankbarry wrote: »

Do you work in the hospitality industry by any chance ? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 finnie1985

Frank Kelly (Very intelligent man, bought me a pint),
    Sharon Shannon (Sound, bought me a pint),
    Shane Mc Gowan (Idiot),
    Ian Brown (Bigger idiot),
    Jerry Fish (Also sound but mad, bought me a pint),
    Cathy Davey,
    Matt Cooper,
    Louis Walsh,
    George Hook,
    Brendan O'Carrol (Sound, got free tickets to his show),
    Des Bishop,
    Jorge Garcia (Hurley from Lost),
    John O'Shea (Of course),
    Steve Coppell (Didn't realise till he said he was scouting Kevin Doyle at the time, Cork were playing the blues)
    Brendan Bowyer (Legend :D )

Probably a few more I can't remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭I Love Cheese

Met Kevin Bridges in the Forum over Halloween and saw Calvin Harris going back to his hotel :D

Advertisement