Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Emigrating

Options
  • 23-03-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been posted before plenty of times, I have read some other threads but they are dated and have been stale for a few years now.

Basically My Fiancee and Myself and daughter (5) are looking to emigrate to Australia.

My fiancee is in Uni at the moment and won't be finished for another couple of years (She went back as a mature student).

She will have a masters by the end of it. I have completed 2 years in DIT but never actually finished as I got a decent job in IT and have been doing it for the last 4 years. I am currently an IT manager in a big Irish organisation.

I am looking to see if people can tell us what type of Visa to go for?
    How long does the application take to process?
    How much does it cost for an application?

Both our professions Are on the skilled migrant visa list.
    We are both 25 / both be 28 when Emigrating. So should start processing the application now?
    I have an Aunt who is a permanent resident who could sponsor us.

Would it be difficult for us to gain a visa to live and work there permanently?

Any help would be much appreciated, I have emailed off to the embassy and The department of Immigration for advice but have heard nothing back from them.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056217028 that would be awesome Thanks..*

User2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭User2

Cheers,
    I have been trawling through them pages for weeks now..

Basically I am looking for people's own personal experience's and opinions on the matter also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

User2 wrote: »

I am looking to see if people can tell us what type of Visa to go for?
    How long does the application take to process?
    How much does it cost for an application?

GSM 175 or GSM 176

cost about $2575 (+ approx $1500 in other costs, skills assess, medical, x-ray) for 3 of you on the skilled visa and can take between 9-36 months to process.

Both our professions Are on the skilled migrant visa list.
    We are both 25 / both be 28 when Emigrating. So should start processing the application now?

Probably the sooner the better, in case they remove your occupations off the list.
    I have an Aunt who is a permanent resident who could sponsor us.

That good you only need 100 points instead of 120 for the GSM 176
    Would it be difficult for us to gain a visa to live and work there permanently?

If your occupation is on the list, then with the above money and plenty of patience your laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hi all your questions have been answered many times, even if you have read through the pages, the answers are still the (mostly) same.

You pretty much have a choice of 2 - PR or sponsorship, sponsorship is very difficult in Ireland, have a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/ about migrating visa - cost times etc

3 years is a long time to apply for your visa, i would start looking a bit sooner the time (prob a 1.5years in advance) you can of course gather all info, like skills assessment before then, you have a year for all of you to arrive in Australia once your visa is granted, so if you say take 6months to get skills assessment, and 12 months to get a visa (IT is high on list), you'd be 1.5 years away from moving, so maybe around the 2 year mark aim to actually submit the paper work? Just my opinion, IT is a solid skill on the list I doubt you'll need to worry about this

You should meet the 120 mark without the need for family sponsorship.
    Age - 30
    Skill - 60 (?)
    English - 15 / 25
    work - 10
    Partner Skills - Possible 5 ... ?

Don't expect the immi to reply, they are not a visa agency, so I doubt they will get you any information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Does anyone see the lack of a degree in IT being an issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Zambia wrote: »
    Does anyone see the lack of a degree in IT being an issue?

Good point.

OP do you have any qualifications?
    you need 8 years work experience if no qualifications at all.

taken from http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?action=show&conID=skillassessment
    No tertiary qualification - At least eight (8) years of full time professional ICT work experience in a field closely related to the nominated occupation.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

When you get your visa it will have a date that it needs to be activated by. You can just come over for a holiday to activate it and come back to finish your business in Ireland. I was in the middle of my degree so that is what we did. Didn't make the move until 10 months later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

If your Fiancee has a degree and enough experience she maybe could be the prime applicant.

You could also finish your degree by night then you have a degree and over 4 years experience.

Advertisement