Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strandhill

Options
  • 23-03-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of info really. Hoping to move out to strandhill and just wondering what the crowd around is like during the summer / winter?

Does it get very busy during the summer with visiting weekend groups? Every much trouble about?

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

It would get very busy in the Summer but can't say I've ever seen any trouble out there,and I did work there for three summers in a row. Lots of tourists and general activities going on,surfing is great.
    Quiter during the winter but has been busier in recent years,few bars and restaurants out there and always a few people around. Local primary school there aswell and only 5 minutes into town by car and there's always a few buses going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Alway a buzz around the place anytime I'm out there Winter or Summer. It used to be a Summer destination but because of the popularity of Surfing there, it always has a good few knocking around and never any trouble. The bars take no shít so even in Summer any rowdiness gets nipped in the bud. Seems to be a great vibrant community always with something happening between Surf Competitions, Rugby matches, the Warriors Run, Golf outings. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 davidpij

Thanks for the quick responses, Yeah prob going to go with the move, had been wondering what its like, as you would be with moving anywhere new.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Naturally. Where are you moving from David? Any reason in particular for the move if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 davidpij

Moved to bundoran from dublin a few months ago, working in sligo and looking to move down towards sligo, save on fuel costs and also slowly gettign tired of the drive each day tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Was in Strandhill at the weekend. Could be so much nicer.

Parked in the carpark and noticed that although some effort had been made to green up the place, every single tree that was planted in the carpark was broken. (at least 20 plus). It is likely that many snapped as they had simply not been supported properly in the first place..... shame.

Drove down to the market and again noticed a batch of houses built in the middle of nowhere, which looked drab and unbelievably baron. Not one single tree.

Does nobody care? Was there no follow up? Terrible shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Chinasea wrote: »
    Was in Strandhill at the weekend. Could be so much nicer.

Parked in the carpark and noticed that although some effort had been made to green up the place, every single tree that was planted in the carpark was broken. (at least 20 plus). It is likely that many snapped as they had simply not been supported properly in the first place..... shame.

Drove down to the market and again noticed a batch of houses built in the middle of nowhere, which looked drab and unbelievably baron. Not one single tree.

Does nobody care? Was there no follow up? Terrible shame.

Strandhill is notorious for getting anything to grow. It gets blasted in the winter.

A few winters ago, a deep frost and snow killed off many garden shrubs and hedging. Many still not yet recovered.

Perhaps the trees in the car park could have been better chosen and protected?

But I would think its the local climate that is the problem.Can't say that I can place the estate you are referring to. Wuthering Heights?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Also the soil is very sandy / salty and it can be hard to get trees to grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

As a visitor to Strandhill Id say you are safe enough, never heard of any trouble out there and I live about 30 mile away from it, busy in the summer quite in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I'd live there if I could

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

davidpij wrote: »
    Moved to bundoran from dublin a few months ago, working in sligo and looking to move down towards sligo, save on fuel costs and also slowly gettign tired of the drive each day tbh.

Grew up there. Regularly back to visit my Dad. Wonderful place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'd live there if I could

Definitely. Great spot, bars, places to eat, events, the coast, the surf, close enough to drive to town. Unfortunately the cost of a house out there is way out of my price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

davidpij wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of info really. Hoping to move out to strandhill and just wondering what the crowd around is like during the summer / winter?

Does it get very busy during the summer with visiting weekend groups? Every much trouble about?

Any help much appreciated

Also there's an airport there that's unfortunately closed atm so I'm afraid no opportunity there with regarding flights. That's in case, if you want to go on holidays locally!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Vlove wrote: »
    Also there's an airport there that's unfortunately closed atm so I'm afraid no opportunity there with regarding flights. That's in case, if you want to go on holidays locally!

There is an aeroclub there and other activities. You see the odd big balloon festival etc. The sea rescue helicopter is based there.
    That said would be great to get the Dublin flight back.

Advertisement