Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concerts in Letterkenny Co Donegal August Bank Holiday

Options
  • 23-03-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Folks just putting this out there to get some feedback from concert/music lovers around Ireland. The local GAA club are in serious debt but have great factilities with a 2,550 seated stand over looking the main pitch and loads of other playing field etc on site. They have excellent volinteers and would have no problem with man power/security etc. Just wondering what kind of act or acts would you need for say 5,000 people per night over 2 nights, say the Saturday and Sunday nights of the August Bank Holiday weekend. Would someone like Christy Moore and the Horeslips be good headline acts with local bands supporting etc. What about the Saw Doctors for drawing a crowd? How much should tickets cost etc. Listen just looking for some ideas this might never take off and if so probably next year. I know Letterkenny is a bit out of the way but "up here its different" and its a great party town with plenty of pubs and hotels. Any other suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks Jimmyjoe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Hiya, I think it's a great idea. Horslips and Christy Moore would draw a crowd. Enough to fill the place on their own I'm not sure. A load of Irish bands would be the best way to go. Just naming some that I think would be good. Saw Doctors, Aslan, The Frames, Jerry Fish & The Mudbug Club, Imelda May, Damien Dempsey, Villagers, Hothouse Flowers, Mudy, Gemma Hayes, Lisa Hannigan, Damien Rice etc. Those kinda bands would be great, People would travel up to see something like that. If you wanted to do it like a kinda festival type vibe that would be ideal. Not sure if you could set up campsites etc. though. Local bands would be good for the community but wouldn't draw a huge crowd outside of the community. That probably didn't help you very much. Best of luck with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jimmyjoe12

Thanks for your reply CiaranK, we have plenty of room for a campsite and loads of dressing rooms with plenty of clean toilets and showers, what why i personally think we could do this. Also as i said plenty of free help from club members for security etc so we could keep costs low. How much do you think these kind of acts like Christy Moore or Horslips cost? What about getting a licence etc? Don't think this should be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Hi,

I don't know much about the licence. I know of a website for booking some Irish bands. Some great names on there (Aslan, Republic of Loose, Paddy Casey, Jerry Fish etc.) http://www.amamusicagency.ie/ Not sure about the prices either. Alot of bands websites have a contact section. It would give you an email address for the bands overall management or sometimes even their booking manager. It would be best to in contact with them to get a price etc. Hope that helps a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Termonator

The Goats Don't Shave are getting back together for a few gigs this summer as well. Used to be pretty good. Could be worth adding as a possibility.

Advertisement