Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youths Rugby

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

rugby_fan wrote: »
    good to see some new names getting there chance due to the exiles not being involved in this camp
    exile17 wrote: »
    I'm an exile dad, and reading your comment, not sure how to take it.
    Are you saying that there should be no exile representation in Irish rugby, and that the IRFU should only look inside the box.

To be fair to rugby_fan i think he is saying that its good they are having a look at some more players who wouldnt have had a look at if the exiles were involved this weekend. Jonny Hayes from my club is in the squad this time round but wasnt in the squad announced with the exiles included. There is players getting a shot at the irish squad because the exiles are playing v the welsh exiles

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭rugby_fan

Yes Ormond lad that is exactly what I meant, wasnt trying to being critical about the exiles in any way just think its important that as many players as possible get there opportunity!

Irish Youths Manager Willie Gribbon talks about irish youths selection process http://www.youtube.com/watchfeature=player_embedded&v=ztdGN9fmKrs
    In the interview he mentions 43 players whove played youths in the last few years have made it at the top level

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

ormond lad wrote: »
    Irish Youths Manager Willie Gribbon talks about irish youths selection process http://www.youtube.com/watchfeature=player_embedded&v=ztdGN9fmKrs
    In the interview he mentions 43 players whove played youths in the last few years have made it at the top level

Link not working, OL.

profitius wrote: »
    Link not working, OL.
    try this one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztdGN9fmKrs&feature=player_embedded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 skip64

I have one comment to add..
    I sat and had to listen to crap on the Dungarvan lads... what i saw of them in the past years they are producing some fine players. for a club in the wilderness they have a fine under structure. a little stuck on the fringes of city/collages as Under 19's seem to be an issue.
    for this out there - those country lads also go to college!. Pity Laurence Houlihan did not make the cut for Irish Trials... and a well done to Seamus Keating...his is versatile. still a shame that Oisin PO Mara did not get a call...even this time round to show his ability.

skip64 wrote: »
    I have one comment to add..
    I sat and had to listen to crap on the Dungarvan lads... what i saw of them in the past years they are producing some fine players. for a club in the wilderness they have a fine under structure. a little stuck on the fringes of city/collages as Under 19's seem to be an issue.
    for this out there - those country lads also go to college!. Pity Laurence Houlihan did not make the cut for Irish Trials... and a well done to Seamus Keating...his is versatile. still a shame that Oisin PO Mara did not get a call...even this time round to show his ability.
    Dungarvan have done well the past few seasons but considering how many lads they had on east munster last season, its disapointing to see them not be able to field a 19s team on their own.
    Madigan was the best munster 2nd row and prob the only one to deserve a shot at the irish team. Keating is only an outhalf in my opinion, doesnt seem as sure in himself in the other positions further out the backline.

How are the other provincial leagues going???
    East Munster will have its pan munster qualifiers at 19s decided after next weekend as will the other regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Funnily enough that you guys raised the point about U19's and fielding teams as it seems to be a major problem in Connacht too, what with lads working weekends, away at college during the week, I think a lot of clubs are finding it difficult to field full strenght sides if even a side at all.

Don't know how any of the other sides went this weekend in Connacht but Corinthians went down to Monivea 31-24 in Monivea.

Dave - yes, i agree totally...Society has changed. Households are feeling the pinch and with collage fees...etc these fine young ambitious men are seeking ways to pay the way and not be putting more pressure on families trying to survive. Once again the Government is going to drain the blood of the very people that had nothing to do with the fall of the Economy. I can talk… I have 4..and trying to make sure each one can follow their dreams & aspirations in life and not to allow this sick Political Society stop them from doing so….sorry for diverting form the subject.
    Ormond Lad – you are right about Madigan… he was the best front row.

sorry Second row... :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭muscleshirt

there ia serious talk about bringing the age groups back to 18/20 next season
    that should help the rural clubs

there ia serious talk about bringing the age groups back to 18/20 next season
    that should help the rural clubs
    Its only talk and its not happening, age groups staying at 17s/19s

Funnily enough, just found out for definate that Corinthians have pulled their U21's side this year as they couldn't get enough of a squad together, what with a few playing with the seniors and the rest would be playing with the 19's. To be honest I think at 21 lads are big and mature enough to play senior, 2nd's or 3rds but at 19/20 just that little bit young (obviously there are exceptions, I just mean in general). IMHO, I think it should be 17's/19's/20's

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    Funnily enough, just found out for definate that Corinthians have pulled their U21's side this year as they couldn't get enough of a squad together, what with a few playing with the seniors and the rest would be playing with the 19's. To be honest I think at 21 lads are big and mature enough to play senior, 2nd's or 3rds but at 19/20 just that little bit young (obviously there are exceptions, I just mean in general). IMHO, I think it should be 17's/19's/20's
    Will not be 17s/19s/20s as most clubs need the 2 years(20s and 21s) to have enough for a team at 21s.
    It will not be going back to 16s/18s and going back to those is the only way it will go back to 20s

In East Munster at 19s the last round of group games are on this weekend.
    Waterpark are through to the pan munster and the east semis in first place with an unbeaten record so far.
    3 and maybe 4 more teams will qualify for the pan munster stage after christmas, Nenagh, Cashel-Thurles and Dungarvan-Waterford City look like being 3 of the qualifiers.
    In North Munster at 19s in section 2 Shannon-St Marys have topped the group and Garryowen topped Section 1 and the semi final line up for this sunday is as follows;
    Garryowen v St Senan's in Dooradoyle at 11.30 and
    Shannon/St Mary's v Bruff in Coonagh at 12
    At 19s in the South Bandon have topped 1 section with all to play for in the other
    At 17s in the north their was only 4 teams going forward for the pan munster, the rest are playing in another section that has only had a few games played so far.
    In the east in the semis waterpark play clonmel and dungarvan play thurles. these 4 have qualified for the pan munster
    in the south there is 3 or 4 sections-im not sure what way qualification is for the pan munster section

In East Munster at 19s the last round of group games are on this weekend.
    Waterpark are through to the pan munster and the east semis in first place with an unbeaten record so far.
    3 and maybe 4 more teams will qualify for the pan munster stage after christmas, Nenagh, Cashel-Thurles and Dungarvan-Waterford City look like being 3 of the qualifiers.
    In North Munster at 19s in section 2 Shannon-St Marys have topped the group and Garryowen topped Section 1 and the semi final line up for this sunday is as follows;
    Garryowen v St Senan's in Dooradoyle at 11.30 and
    Shannon/St Mary's v Bruff in Coonagh at 12
    At 19s in the South Bandon have topped 1 section with all to play for in the other
    At 17s in the north their was only 4 teams going forward for the pan munster, the rest are playing in another section that has only had a few games played so far.
    In the east in the semis waterpark play clonmel and dungarvan play thurles. these 4 have qualified for the pan munster
    in the south there is 3 or 4 sections-im not sure what way qualification is for the pan munster section
    Waterpark beat Nenagh in east 19s group game, and top the league after the group stage
    Shannon and Garryowen won north 19s semis
    Dungarvan won east 17s semi against thurles 17-10

Corinthians V Ballinasloe U19's called off and I doubt any matches went ahead this weekend as a lot of pitches in the west are in total shi'te with the amount of rain we've had :(

Clonmel play Cashel-Thurles in Clonmel on sunday for a spot in the pan munster 19s with the loser getting another shot at a pan munster spot against dungarvan the following week.

The East u17 league final is on sunday in Carrick on Suir with Dungarvan taking on Waterpark. Thurles play Clonmel to decide seedings for the pan munster
    On saturday the south decides some of its reps in Pan Munster at 17s when Clonakilty play Cobh and Old Christians play Sunday's Well

Garryowen play Shannon-St Marys in the north u19 league final on sunday
    Bruff to play St.Senan's to sort out seedings and Young Munster to play Ennis to decide final Munster U19 qualifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Dungarvan won east 17s semi against thurles 17-10

12-10 was the score ;)

http://domestic.connachtrugby.ie/201112082073/17s-set-for-semi-final-scramble
    17s Set for Semi-final Scramble Thursday, 08 December 2011 12:12
    The hotly-contested Under-17 league, like Christmas shopping and December tanning schedules, has suffered somewhat due to recent inclement weather.
    Soundtracked by the ever-present drum of rain and hail against windows and waterlogged pitch-induced moans, this season's league is set for a climactic finish where seven teams stake claims for top-four playoff berths and summertime silverware.
    Games-in-hand are a key feature of the points table, and the fact two lots of two teams share common points tallies. Corinthians, middling on the table having won three of six, knocked over the previously-unbeaten Ballinasloe over the weekend. Buccaneers, languishing in the doldrums last week with none from four, scored a super away win over Connemara and are now tied for sixth-equal.
    The next round has Westport hosting Sligo where a home win could consolidate Westport’s lead and put Sligo under severe pressure to make the play-offs. Galwegians and Ballinasloe, neck-and-neck on the table (the latter two points shy but with a game in hand), meet in the round crunch match. Buccs host Ballina in Athlone, both outfits desperate to put breathing space between each other in the race for that elusive fourth spot. Finally Corinthians meet Connemara on the N17, where a win at home will lift them nearer to third than fourth affording them a chance to dictate their own playoff destiny.
    (contributed - Gerry Conway)

• Advertisement

shannon/marys win n/munster u19 league final over garryowen 27-6

shannon/marys win n/munster u19 league final over garryowen 27-6
    saw the very end of it, they were the much stronger team. Helps when you have a few irish youths on your team like cronan gleeson etc

saw the very end of it, they were the much stronger team. Helps when you have a few irish youths on your team like cronan gleeson, aaron atkinson(with garryowen) etc.
    saw the game
    garryowen had a lot more repesentive players than shannon,the shannon backs are very pacey very good defensively also, their 12/13 combination are lethal

saw the very end of it, they were the much stronger team. Helps when you have a few irish youths on your team like cronan gleeson etc
    saw the game
    garryowen had a lot more repesentive players than shannon,the shannon backs are very pacey very good defensively also, their 12/13 combination are lethal
    I only saw a few minutes towards the end of it, apart from aaron atkinson what other representative players did they have?

I only saw a few minutes towards the end of it, apart from aaron atkinson what other representative players did they have?
    for garryowen including atkinson
    cillian walsh played irish youths last year, /john madigan munster irish youths
    martin mullane/munster youth /jack kingston munster youth last year /ben drew munster u19 .. adrian enright not playing today

for garryowen including atkinson
    cillian walsh played irish youths last year, /john madigan munster irish youths
    martin mullane/munster youth /jack kingston munster youth last year /ben drew munster u19 .. adrian enright not playing today
    And they were, along with some of the other limerick clubs, whinging about waterpark for the previous few seasons having such a large pick of players. At least waterpark developed all theirs, and not went and got half of the munster youths from this and last season to play for them

i think the draw for pan munster will be made soon enough as its to start after xmas. Draw will be interesting, i believe the qualifiers from each region for the Pan Munster 19s is North 5, South 5, East 4, West 2.

Waterpark won 17-0 against Dungarvan in the East u17 League final for their 3rd east u17 title in a row

Waterpark won 17-0 against Dungarvan in the East u17 League final for their 3rd east u17 title in a row
    what are the waterpark u19 like this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Very strong yet again as with all their underage groups.

• Advertisement

very strong, will take a very strong team to beat them in munster this year again. Shannon-st marys, nenagh with a little bit of work and some of the south teams like bandon, will give them a run for the munster title

Advertisement