Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youths Rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭rugby_fan

anyone at the match today?..thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

rugby_fan wrote: »
    anyone at the match today?..thoughts?
    wasnt at the game but i heard that the youths won. Great to hear that if true, pity they dont have a tournament to play in and only have a few friendlys to play in later on in the season

• Registered Users Posts: 15 exile17

I watched the game, have to say felt that some decisions by the referee were pernickety.
    I think the schools had a game plan which was quick ball,the clubs at times appeared to lack judgement.
    Overall a good game I think the schools were just that little sharper

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭muscleshirt

exile17 wrote: »
    I watched the game, have to say felt that some decisions by the referee were pernickety.
    I think the schools had a game plan which was quick ball,the clubs at times appeared to lack judgement.
    Overall a good game I think the schools were just that little sharper
    who actually won? any players in the youths stand out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

who actually won? any players in the youths stand out?

Schools won 15-6, match report here: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/1231/1224309674723.html

• Advertisement

Schools won
    As to who stood out they all performed however some decisions made showed as nerves or lack of playing time together

Interesting to see that of the 13 munster players between the 2 squads, 9 are backs. Normally its the other way round and there is normally much more forwards chosen than backs.
    The Youths will play a couple of friendlies while the schools will play in the FIRA tournament that up until 2010 the youths played in. The Irish Youths first international is february 18th against Italy in rovigo

It seems that Leinster are dominating both camps.
    I am amazed at the numbers they have, especially in the schools,
    maybe that helped the schools in their win.

exile17 wrote: »
    It seems that Leinster are dominating both camps.
    I am amazed at the numbers they have, especially in the schools,
    maybe that helped the schools in their win.
    Large Numbers really helps, leinster will 8 or 9 times out of 10 beat munster at schools level due to having so many more schools playibg rugby. They have nearly 4000 more youths players than munster and over 6500 more registered schools players. over 11500 registered players in schools in leinster and that number will rise more and more in the next few years. Between age grade schools and clubs leinster has 10000 more lads registered than munster

Leinster are also putting in a huge amount of time money and resources into their under age teams at both clubs and schools level and this is paying dividents for them, they hace a huge representation for one province in the schools side

• Advertisement

Leinster are also putting in a huge amount of time money and resources into their under age teams at both clubs and schools level and this is paying dividents for them, they hace a huge representation for one province in the schools side
    They are doing serious work that is making the other provinces double the work they are putting in as the others attempt to catch up. having the likes of eric miller involved with the leinster youths, a former irish and lions star, is super for the clubs game. Munster should be looking to people like that to get involved.
    Leinster and Ulster should always be dominating the schools team due having so many more lads playing the game in schools in their provinces than munster and connacht. There is only 8 A schools and 4 or 5 B schools in munster and that number will not increase by much more in the next few years

Can anyone tell me how the leagues are going at 17s/19s in each of the provinces?? In munster most regions have their qualifiers decided or nearly decided and many games left to be played are only to decide the seedings for the pan munster draw, which i guess will be made in the middle of january

I have only knowledge of the leinster u19 lpremier league which group stages finished before christmas

Premier League North
    1. R an B rebels
    2. Naas
    3. Boyne
    4.Navan

Premier League South
    1. Enniscorthy
    2. Wicklow
    3. Gorey
    4. Carlow

winner in one plays fourth in other group etc, quater finals scheduled for middle of January

I have only knowledge of the leinster u19 lpremier league which group stages finished before christmas

Premier League North
    1. R an B rebels
    2. Naas
    3. Boyne
    4.Navan

Premier League South
    1. Enniscorthy
    2. Wicklow
    3. Gorey
    4. Carlow

winner in one plays fourth in other group etc, quater finals scheduled for middle of January
    Thanks, only team ive seen play was Roscrea&Birr who played Nenagh about a month ago in a game where both teams were quite weakened with both missing their interpro props and down a few due to hurling matches, etc
    From the small bit ive heard R&B Rebels and the top 2 in the south section are the 3 strongest teams in leinster at 19s

All depends on the draw as to who will get to the knockout stages in Munster with Bandon in the South, Waterpark in the East and Shannon-St Marys in the north all looking the standout teams at 19s so far and teams will want to avoid them in the group stage of the Pan Munster though the likes of Garryowen, Nenagh, Highfield, Sundays Well, Tralee(if they field) and Crosshaven will all be aiming for a 1/4 spot in the pan munster

Yeah when you look at all the results of the games in both groups especially the south you can see that there is not a lot between the top two or three teams in the group, it is extremely hard to know even who will be victorious in the quater finals.

castleisland may be fielding a team in the u19 pan/munster

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IsaBrown

Enniscorthy v Navan 14th Jan 2012, KO @ 11:30am @ Ross Road

castleisland may be fielding a team in the u19 pan/munster
    Had heard that the west may be fielding a team or two in pan munster, but hadnt heard which clubs would be fielding, great if they do considering any team from the west will have played very very few if any games at all before the pan munster begins in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭BigHeel

The quarter finals of the U19 and U17 Premirships in Leinster are

U 19 Premier Quarter-Finals
    R&B REBELS vs. CARLOW
    NAAS vs. GOREY
    WICKLOW vs. BOYNE
    ENNISCORTHY vs. NAVAN

U17 Premier Quarter-Finals
    NAVAN vs. NEW ROSS
    MULLINGAR A vs. WICKLOW
    GOREY A vs. NAAS A
    WEXFORD A vs. DUNDALK

I think they are all down for the 14th Jan.

East u19 semis on this weekend. Cashel-Thurles play Waterpark in waterford in the 1st semi with Nenagh hosting Clonmel in the 2nd semi

East u13 cup and plates are being played in league format and they start sunday

a round of the Shane Horgan Cup that help decide the next leinster youths squad will be played on thursday in ashbourne rfc.
    Metro play N. Midlands at 11.30am and the North East play the South East at 1pm.

Birr-Roscrea beat Garryowen last weekend at 19s level in a friendly and they play Shannon-Marys this weekend. Will be interesting to see how one of munsters strongest 19s teams gets on against one of leinsters

• Advertisement

ormond lad wrote: »
    a round of the Shane Horgan Cup that help decide the next leinster youths squad will be played on thursday in ashbourne rfc.
    Metro play N. Midlands at 11.30am and the North East play the South East at 1pm.

Birr-Roscrea beat Garryowen last weekend at 19s level in a friendly and they play Shannon-Marys this weekend. Will be interesting to see how one of munsters strongest 19s teams gets on against one of leinsters

That is sure to be a very interesting match from what I hav e heard there are some good players on both sides!

That is sure to be a very interesting match from what I hav e heard there are some good players on both sides!
    will be a very interesting match considering that shannon u19s team only lost 17-0 to a munchins senior cup team that had beaten Blackrock 26-17 on Monday. gap between the top schools and clubs is closing

Will try get to see that one, ol is it in Shannon do you know?!

Will try get to see that one, ol is it in Shannon do you know?!
    Shannons website says coonagh at 12.30 saturday

Thanks wil try make that one!..you mentioned that you saw r and b a while back..are they a strong team?..have you seen Shannon/Marys play?!

Thanks wil try make that one!..you mentioned that you saw r and b a while back..are they a strong team?..have you seen Shannon/Marys play?!
    i think the game is on sat,i have seen shannon play,good solid pack with a very speedy backline also very good defensively

Shannons website says coonagh at 12.30 sunday
    i think the game is on sat,i have seen shannon play,good solid pack with a very speedy backline also very good defensively
    It is on saturday.
    Both have good packs and will be even enough depending on whether any of the representative players with each club are available or not
    Roscrea and Birr didnt have their irish youths prop, dooley playing the day i saw them and were missing 1 or 2 others so they will be stronger than when i saw them. should be even enough and give a good indicator as to the strength of each province ahead of the knockouts/pan munster sections that begin in a few weeks time

It is on saturday.
    Both have good packs and will be even enough depending on whether any of the representative players with each club are available or not
    Roscrea and Birr didnt have their irish youths prop, dooley playing the day i saw them and were missing 1 or 2 others so they will be stronger than when i saw them. should be even enough and give a good indicator as to the strength of each province ahead of the knockouts/pan munster sections that begin in a few weeks time
    hope both sides can field their full 15,shannon need wallace and gleeson up front to secure good ball,one or two guys missing can make all the difference

hope both sides can field their full 15,shannon need wallace and gleeson up front to secure good ball,one or two guys missing can make all the difference
    pity cronan isnt with us this season- hed be some addition to us at 19s and the first team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 KeithDots

Has anyone heard anything about the U19s league in Connacht? Nothing on the Connacht website

Advertisement