Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youths Rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yeahyou

Fantastic result for Bandon Rugby Club even though they had the help of Bandon Grammar School etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 slatterg

This idea that the relied on people from the grammar is bull**** of the highest order, 90% of that team have been together since they where 12 and they also narrowly lost out on beating Shannon/st Mary's in the Munster last year with no grammar help

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭munsterman96

slatterg wrote: »
    This idea that the relied on people from the grammar is bull**** of the highest order, 90% of that team have been together since they where 12 and they also narrowly lost out on beating Shannon/st Mary's in the Munster last year with no grammar help

was there not trouble with some grammar players bought in for the munster final?

was there not trouble with some grammar players bought in for the munster final?

That was more to do with the grammar not releasing a player who wasn't involved with them during the year as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dropkick22

I don't think any of us giving out !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 aspin

not giving out either - just wasnt aware some clubs could draft in schools players.
    good luck to bandon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

aspin wrote: »
    not giving out either - just wasnt aware some clubs could draft in schools players.
    good luck to bandon
    They didn't "draft in schools players". Those players would have played a lot with Bandon Rugby club all up the age groups. Clubs in Limerick, Cork cant complain as they often get players who have been training with the A schools in the citys and are on the edge of senior cup panels and then get released after xmas.

Well done Bandon. They did very well this year and last. slatterg what will the most of the Bandon lads play next season? Are many underage next season and what will the lads overage for 19s play next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 aspin

ormond lad wrote: »
    They didn't "draft in schools players". Those players would have played a lot with Bandon Rugby club all up the age groups. Clubs in Limerick, Cork cant complain as they often get players who have been training with the A schools in the citys and are on the edge of senior cup panels and then get released after xmas.

Well done Bandon. They did very well this year and last. slatterg what will the most of the Bandon lads play next season? Are many underage next season and what will the lads overage for 19s play next season?

"draft" wasnt meant in any demeaning way - get players back who have gone to rugby schools was what i should have said.

however if irfu are running a competition then same rules should apply across provinces

aspin wrote: »
    "draft" wasnt meant in any demeaning way - get players back who have gone to rugby schools was what i should have said.

however if irfu are running a competition then same rules should apply across provinces
    The same rules do apply across the provinces these days. They used not to and even differed across different regions in Munster some years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 joseywales72

Yep, buccs had about 10/12 players from Marist and Navan from St. Pats

• Advertisement

Yep, buccs had about 10/12 players from Marist and Navan from St. Pats
    Connacht has different rules to the other provinces wrt players in rugby schools playing youths competitions and Pats are still only the equivalent of a C school in Munster(they are an A school in Leinster) so Navan having lots of players from Pats is not an issue compared to having players from the more established schools who are B/C schools in Leinster and A schools in Munster

Afaik most will be over age, there is talk that a couple of their coaches will join the j1s and that they will try and keep as many players as possible. Most of the lads will be going to college in UCC so if they can get some sort of deal whre they can play dual status playing 21's there and j1 in Bandon it would be the favoured option. That would apply to my brother as well who would have been with these lads all they up until he left for pres in 4th year, there is the bones of a great j1 team if they can keep them together in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Afaik most will be over age, there is talk that a couple of their coaches will join the j1s and that they will try and keep as many players as possible. Most of the lads will be going to college in UCC so if they can get some sort of deal whre they can play dual status playing 21's there and j1 in Bandon it would be the favoured option. That would apply to my brother as well who would have been with these lads all they up until he left for pres in 4th year, there is the bones of a great j1 team if they can keep them together in the future

Call me a cynic but I'm old enough to remember Bandon used to clean up at U-18's level or at least compete at the top and that never stopped us bleeding players when it came to the J1-J4's.

I don't know if it was people going mad in college but at the same time I don't think the club ever had a plan on how to deal with the situation.

I know we've an academy now, I really hope we can retain the bulk for Junior Rugby and get Bandon back on the top of of Div 1 (it wasn't that long ago we were quietly eyeing senior rugby....)

Crosshaven had an outstanding team a few years ago 4 or 5 went to con and dolphin 21,s some are playing senior now with those clubs , I think crosshaven were expecting more from that bunch of players , would bandon be better served by going the next level playing a 21,s / 20,s team

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Dropkick22 wrote: »
    Crosshaven had an outstanding team a few years ago 4 or 5 went to con and dolphin 21,s some are playing senior now with those clubs , I think crosshaven were expecting more from that bunch of players , would bandon be better served by going the next level playing a 21,s / 20,s team

I remember that Crosshaven J1 team... it felt like they didn't want to go senior (perhaps due to costs...) as they had the beating of any team put before them.

Or are you talking about their underage?

Not sure what Bandon can do, player retention for a J1 club is difficult when your players start going to college - how does a young fella with ambition turn down a senior club so he can stay with a Junior (Div 2) club? If players are to be lost to a senior side how do we get them back for their last few years? I can think of quiet a few names who finished senior rugby and are still young enough but aren't playing with anyone - we would most prob be Div 1 with these players. Do they feel unwelcome? Were bridges burnt? Were they even approached to come back? Or is it a case that the step down would be too frustrating in dealing with an inferior skill set or simply that it would feel too much like they are crawling back in shame?

It might be no harm to view players who are lost/poached as temporarily moved players that should be continually liaised with so we might reap the benefits of their experience should they play with Bandon again.

On the flip side to that is it's an awful kick in the sack for a fellah to be with Bandon all his life only to be replaced by what could be perceived as a 'journeyman'.

I'm sure the U19 coaches know what they're at of which some are certain Bandon RFC lifetimers so hopefully they will be listened to when it comes to the big decisions.

Think it was the cross haven 19,s from 3 or 4 yrs ,
    Ucc have 1 under 21 team 95% schools players , they must have 4 or 5 players for each position , players only get that perspective when they arrive there!
    So they sign up to ucc and are club bound , I've heard a story last year of a guy who was told go back to his club as he,d get a lot more playing time( fair play to the ucc coach I,d say)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 roro57

Watched both finals at the weekend.

U19 - Bandon well worth their 15-3 win, scored 2 very early tries and looked like they might run up a big score. Left winger was a constant threat. Navan hung in bravely despite loosing 3 or 4 injured players in the first half. Good Bandon side

U17 – Two really good sides, only 3 points in it at half time (13-10). In the second half Navan took their chances well to run in 3 tries mid-way through the half. Late consolation try for Sligo, 30-18 to Navan.
    Overheard someone say that 9 of Navan’s starting 15 are U17 again next year.

What gear are bandon wearing in the all Ireland final?

Who are in the 17,s cup (South munster)final?

Who are in the 17s cup (South munster)final?
    Cobh and Clonakilty and I think the final is set for Saturday in Wilton

• Advertisement

What gear are bandon wearing in the all Ireland final?

It was the grammar gear, they where told they had to change because of a clash of jerseys and they managed to get the grammar jerseys. Their other option where con jerseys, which would have been sickening I'm sure

anymore on the ages?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Not sure what Bandon can do, player retention for a J1 club is difficult when your players start going to college - how does a young fella with ambition turn down a senior club so he can stay with a Junior (Div 2) club? If players are to be lost to a senior side how do we get them back for their last few years? I can think of quiet a few names who finished senior rugby and are still young enough but aren't playing with anyone - we would most prob be Div 1 with these players. Do they feel unwelcome? Were bridges burnt? Were they even approached to come back? Or is it a case that the step down would be too frustrating in dealing with an inferior skill set or simply that it would feel too much like they are crawling back in shame?

It might be no harm to view players who are lost/poached as temporarily moved players that should be continually liaised with so we might reap the benefits of their experience should they play with Bandon again.

On the flip side to that is it's an awful kick in the sack for a fellah to be with Bandon all his life only to be replaced by what could be perceived as a 'journeyman'.

I'm sure the U19 coaches know what they're at of which some are certain Bandon RFC lifetimers so hopefully they will be listened to when it comes to the big decisions.[/QUOTE]

Skerries went thru a similar process a few years back. the u-16 team won the all ireland and then we got a few players who were AIL div 1 plaers to come back as well as a former interpro as player coach. These guys with the young guys coming thru got us back to senior atatus last year. The guts of the u16 team are still involved probably 10 (1 in Ulster now with Academy and a few palying senior GAA). don't know the speccifics of how lads were lured back but when I speak to them a lot of why they say they played is that they enjoy playing with their mates for their town and giving back to the club that brought them through.

anymore on the ages?
    discussion ongoing. Havent the foggiest though about when a decision will actually be made for next season though.
    I know schools Definitely do not want to change as they would lose out on quite a few 6th years if things went back to 18s on January 1st and ultimately i think its best if both youths and schools rugby play off the same dates and both the top underage grades(under 20s/21s) are the same.

I personally think 19s is better but 19s is affected by plenty of players playing adult rugby be that AIL or senior 2nds or junior league while that is not so much the case at 18s as only after Christmas of each season would any players be 18 and eligible to play adult rugby
    I think having 17s and 19s as the main age groups is better as it helps player recognition in that provincial coaches can go to any under 17 game in a province every season and every player on the pitch is eligible for the following septembers under 18 interpros and then go to under 19s games and everyone is eligible for under 19 or 20 interpros. Its a bit more work with 18s/20s.
    I think 19s/21s is better as it means players are slightly oler coming out of age grade rugby which is in no way a bad thing.

The most important decision that has to be made is that kids get more than enough games and even if they kept 15/17/19/21 as the main age groups but introduced meaningful under 20s leagues in the provinces for the clubs that wished to compete at that age group instead of 19s and 21s then that should be allowed.
    In Munster an under 20 league was tried this season but only 6 or 7 teams applied to play in the league but only 1 game was actually played in the competition/ To make things worse some clubs did not enter teams in the under 19 league and decided to only enter a team in the under 20 league and as a result did not have any team for any of their players born in 1995 to play in as before christmas those players were not 18 and eligible for adult rugby and were overage for under 17 rugby do those born in 1995 had no rugby

I would have liked hard facts to go with the change to 20,s 18,s etc a survey of clubs a tally of age groups etc to me it seems like all hear say to change ,
    If west munster can have a proper league next year , north and east increase their teams in the league then it's worth it , if we are still talking of bad numbers this time next year what next ??? Change back to July ???

Cobh that is a big surprise!!! Clon must be odds on !!!!

Cobh and Clonakilty and I think the final is set for Saturday in Wilton

12 saturday Pres grounds

Cobh that is a big surprise!!! Clon must be odds on !!!!

yeah they pretty much came from nowhere

It was the grammar gear, they where told they had to change because of a clash of jerseys and they managed to get the grammar jerseys. Their other option where con jerseys, which would have been sickening I'm sure

Con would have claimed that title lol!!!! Looking for gear is not needed morning of a match

• Advertisement

Bandon win the all Ireland,, none on the munster youths team !!! Surely something wrong there!!!!

Advertisement