Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youths Rugby

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Dropkick22 wrote: »
    Bandon win the all Ireland,, none on the munster youths team !!! Surely something wrong there!!!!
    Not really. The Munster Youths team for this season was 95s.
    How many 95s did Bandon have on their 19s team?
    Munster Youths is primarily based on the 4 regional development squads not the Pan Munster. Did Bandon have many players in the regional development squads last season and the season before.
    They will be rewarded for this seasons performances with several players looked at for the Munster under 19 and 20 squads which are being picked at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 21 slatterg

ormond lad wrote: »
    Not really. The Munster Youths team for this season was 95s.
    How many 95s did Bandon have on their 19s team?
    Munster Youths is primarily based on the 4 regional development squads not the Pan Munster. Did Bandon have many players in the regional development squads last season and the season before.
    They will be rewarded for this seasons performances with several players looked at for the Munster under 19 and 20 squads which are being picked at the moment

A couple of the lads got trials for 19's and 20's but to my knowledge no one made it past the final trial

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dropkick22

It's very difficult for club players at 19,s and 20,s , schools players always have the edge rightly or wrongly !

slatterg wrote: »
    A couple of the lads got trials for 19's and 20's but to my knowledge no one made it past the final trial
    Oh right. that's disappointing. Just looking back at the Munster A schools side back in September and there was a few Bandon Grammar players involved on that side. Kerry Desmond played with yere 19s but is there any reasons why Kingston and Scully did not as Kingston from what I saw of him in those games was very very good.
    It's very difficult for club players at 19s and 20s, schools players always have the edge rightly or wrongly !
    It is more difficult for youths players to make 19s and 20s as Munster 19s/20s coaches rarely go to youths games like they do with schools games but more and more are making these squads from the club scene

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

Bandon win the all Ireland,, none on the munster youths team !!! Surely something wrong there!!!!
    don't be surprised..Shannon had no one last year,could't even get a trial

• Advertisement

Oh right. that's disappointing. Just looking back at the Munster A schools side back in September and there was a few Bandon Grammar players involved on that side. Kerry Desmond played with yere 19s but is there any reasons why Kingston and Scully did not as Kingston from what I saw of him in those games was very very good.
    e

I don't know about the other two lads, it's possible they where from kinsale or something along does lines.

I'm suprised Kerry Desmond and Conor Barry, the bandon 7 didn't make the 19s as they where both very impressive

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭munsterman96

e

Scully played one match for Clonakilty and broke his ankle (The GAA crowd were going crazy)

Is this Eric Kingston? He played for Clon aswell but was not upto much

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

Scully played one match for Clonakilty and broke his ankle (The GAA crowd were going crazy)

I would imagine it's richard kingston very good player

dont know about him

• Advertisement

No Richard Kingston. was in the Grammar School this year and played A Schools
    backgreen wrote: »
    I would imagine it's richard kingston very good player
    You are correct. Very good from what I saw of him when he played with the very good Munster A schools team last September.
    Harsh to name any kid and say they are not up to much.

East Munster Competitions are finished for the season this weekend with the under 17 plate final between Nenagh and Fethard, the under 15 plate final between Waterpark and Cashel and the under 14 league final between Waterford City and Fethard

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Unknown To World

Any debates on how much Cobh Pirates will get beaten by clonakilty this Saturday?

All 4 teams that qualified for pan munster in 17,s, were all on 1 side of the cup draw (which is crazy)best of luck to Cobh

south munsters orgainization of the leagues and cups are a joke , much prefer to have it like north or east munster ,final of league over by Christmas !!

When was the last time s munster club youth team won the inter pro,s it,s a question that comes up a lot I'd say over 10 yrs ago is my guess?

Ah yeah Richard Kingston is from kinsale so he would have played with them I would say. He's a good player if a little undersized. Which is the main problem youths and a schools players have when coming up against schools players

Any debates on how much Cobh Pirates will get beaten by clonakilty this Saturday?

it depends they have very dodgy second centre, no ball skill

it depends they have very dodgy second centre, no ball skill
    who cobh or clon?

All 4 teams that qualified for pan munster in 17,s, were all on 1 side of the cup draw (which is crazy)best of luck to Cobh

south munsters orgainization of the leagues and cups are a joke , much prefer to have it like north or east munster ,final of league over by Christmas !!
    Is not crazy for all those sides to be on one side of draw. Just the luck of the draw and at least it gives some of the sides who didn't have the opportunity to play the higher standard pan munster games a chance of making a final.
    No I disagree with you when you say the souths organisation of competitions is a joke. Nothing wrong with keeping the league finals until now. Not that big a deal.
    South League was much bigger this season than the East and North and took longer to decide the Pan Munster representatives so as soon as the South had decided its representatives for P/M the P/M started.
    When was the last time s munster club youth team won the inter pros it,s a question that comes up a lot I'd say over 10 yrs ago is my guess?
    Munster Youths have won the interpro title several occasions in the past decade. Don't know exactly when but is def not over 10 years.
    Ah yeah Richard Kingston is from kinsale so he would have played with them I would say. He's a good player if a little undersized. Which is the main problem youths and a schools players have when coming up against schools players
    Don't think size is main issue at all between Youths and Schools. More organisation and time on pitch is main issue. Schools players in A schools train at least 3 times a week and have a game a week and have that for every year between age of 15 and leaving school. Youths don't have anywhere near that level of training and matches to play

who cobh or clon?

clon

Oh yeah i heard Clon No.6 he never passes the ball...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

Thought that this might be an interesting article to put up here.http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/a-ruling-to-divide-opinion-229082.html It seems that a of young players are losing out on playing rugby. My own son is 18 and goes to a non rugby playing school and his club has no team at his age group this year, so even though he had great interest in it for a while it's unlikely that he will play again as a year out at his age is an awful long time.

allimac wrote: »
    Thought that this might be an interesting article to put up here.http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/a-ruling-to-divide-opinion-229082.html It seems that a of young players are losing out on playing rugby. My own son is 18 and goes to a non rugby playing school and his club has no team at his age group this year, so even though he had great interest in it for a while it's unlikely that he will play again as a year out at his age is an awful long time.
    Have discussed this elsewhere. Some of the debate has been quite interesting on twitter with Jerry Flannery and Trevor Hogan making some good points there.
    If your son is 18 at least he can play adult rugby in his club. How many adult sides does your son's club have. This is easier in some clubs that have 3 maybe 4 adult sides while some only have 2.
    I agree with this ruling. If schools keep taking the top youths players some clubs will not be able to field and schools have enough players already without taking the best clubs players.

Feel sorry for the likes of bruff lost 3 players last year certain squad players for munsters youths never made munster schools , that would have been an asset to them this year 19,s competition

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Gorey under 19 defeated Mullingar today 11 - 0 to win the cup

Bandon won the south Munster cup15-12 against highfield with last kick of the game. Couldn't make it down so don't know more than that

Great game in the south munster 19,s bandon win it last kick of of the game, , ! Highfield had the better Of the game , bandon 12 0 up highfield brought it back to 12 all , good skill around!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭munsterfan2

Navan 17's defeated Boyne in the Leinster semi-final by 16 - 13 and play Wexford next Monday to make it a clean sweep of all competitions...

R.

clonakilty beat cobh in the u17 cup 69-3

• Registered Users Posts: 27 clubrug

allimac wrote: »

Read that article, love the comment “From myexperience, rugby players from the country are late developers — bothphysically and mentally.

There is no doubt there is a physical difference, NO one can convinceme however, that some of the school lads physical appearance is natural,no fridge, weights room and conditioning does that in its entirety. HeardBrian Carney previously on 'culture' and read a Neil Francis articlerecently, culture can start from a young age, we all know that there is a different approach and consensus (in many ways) to rugby played at schoolsand clubs, the much poorer relation.

We all know a lad playing schools has a far greater chance of playing provincial thanour club player, schools lads get reputations, some that even provincial coachesswallow, even though I know through the club scene there are some betterplayers. Problem being, I love watching the schools games, both junior andsenior, as there is great structure to their games, lads just know what to do,and are confident in their own and their teams ability, we cannot emulate thatto the same extent, but put some lads from the club scene in that structurethey do and have excelled.

I personally have high regard and greatrespect for lads from the clubs that represent their provinces at 19s and20s, as they are a such a minority, few and far between. Kids being approached bysome schools has its pros and cons, however I really hope the ruling helps someof those clubs in time that are struggling with numbers.

We have had lads who have seen their fair share of trouble regardinghome and school life, the comment "would havenot survived two years of the senior cycle without having the distraction ofrugby" is good, wonder would that youngfella have gotten in to the school if he hadn't any rugby ability??? Rugby of course would never be a distractionto studies!

Hope you son keeps at it, think many can be too young at that age to play senior rugby, training for seconds teams etc can disappear as the season goes on, be non existent and a bit of a joke, also in the last couple of years with teams struggling with 19s, very few are coming through, lads need and deserve to enjoy their rugby, hopefully things will improve. Unlike the schools, we favour all abilities and welcome anyone who wants to tog out. End of rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 clubrug

I was so delighted for Bandon and their greatachievement, all the work, the effort from coaches through the ages from whenthese lads were nippers, have followed them for a couple of years and admiredthem, had their disappointment at 17s, great credit to them.

Richard Kingston is or was with Kinsale, very goodplayer, was unlucky to not make the final youths panel two years ago, 7 for them then was smaller and lighter but seriously super rugby player, think his size is okay to be honest, fine player and up there with the best in his age. I believe size is considered farmore important than, put before, ability, has been happening too much, rugby isfull of lumps with technically far less ability than others.

Very hard to get any lad looked at a club, Bandonprobably should not hold out much hope for big provincial representation,Shannon/St. Marys failed to get representation when they won the All - Ireland

Advertisement