Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youths Rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 skip64

I have to agree on the East coaching input for the past years. I have spent 15 years coaching GAA at Club & County Under 12-18 Development Squads. I can only commend the way ye Rugby guys treat players and Development Squads. it should be an example to the GAA... that’s my opinion!!. please dont kick me on my GAA comment..i am a big GAA fan!!
    I agree on clubs struggling ... and know that some teams are joining forces to keep "players playing".. well done coaches and Clubs!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Parish Lad

ormond lad wrote: »
    Rubbish, clubs struggling to field has nothing to do with what happened to shannon-st marys last season. Shannon-st marys had someone in their matchday squad who shouldnt have been there, whether they were told by a committee member it doesnt matter. Move onto this season.

its not true at all saying that north players not being as valued as players from the other regions.
    The north have won the inter regional tournament twice in the last 5 years and had good enough numbers at munster level-

I have followed your postings on another site and you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about Shannon/St.Mary's. From blaming coaches to statments like "whether they were told by a committee member it doesnt matter" you seem to have a problem with them. Let me tell you, many clubs in North Munster do feel like there being crapped upon. I you take Shannon u17s and Shannon/St.Mary's U19 both of whom reached Munster finals, one to be kicked out disgracefully, not one player from either of these squads have been invited to under 18s or u19s Munster through the club. Not even a courtesy call. What do you expect the teams to think?
    Lean of Shannon/St.Mart's a bit a bit. Also keep in mind that these coaches are trying to field teams against crazy barriers that the rest of Munster don't face and are doing their best. You were not party to the intricasies of the objection so don't know the facts -only what you are getting second or third hand. Facts are these Munster competitions are not their for Shannon, Garryowen, Bohs, Munsters or Crescent to win and if the branch had a pair, they'd just exclude them from the start and not wait in the high grass for the slightest indiscretion to drop on them from a height. But rest assured these clubs will continue to make efforts to provide their non A schools players with meaningful rugby despite the best efforts of the career politicians that are in the branch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Mod warning to please keep things Civil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Parish Lad wrote: »
    I have followed your postings on another site and you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about Shannon/St.Mary's. From blaming coaches to statments like "whether they were told by a committee member it doesnt matter" you seem to have a problem with them. Let me tell you, many clubs in North Munster do feel like there being crapped upon. I you take Shannon u17s and Shannon/St.Mary's U19 both of whom reached Munster finals, one to be kicked out disgracefully, not one player from either of these squads have been invited to under 18s or u19s Munster through the club. Not even a courtesy call. What do you expect the teams to think?
    Lean of Shannon/St.Mart's a bit a bit. Also keep in mind that these coaches are trying to field teams against crazy barriers that the rest of Munster don't face and are doing their best. You were not party to the intricasies of the objection so don't know the facts -only what you are getting second or third hand. Facts are these Munster competitions are not their for Shannon, Garryowen, Bohs, Munsters or Crescent to win and if the branch had a pair, they'd just exclude them from the start and not wait in the high grass for the slightest indiscretion to drop on them from a height. But rest assured these clubs will continue to make efforts to provide their non A schools players with meaningful rugby despite the best efforts of the career politicians that are in the branch
    Ive nothing against shannon- they were unlucky to lose one of the finals but they got thrown out of the league because they played someone who was inelgible for the competition. they were told he could play by an ex committee member who was going by older set of rules and he was wrong. Hard luck to them

The youths squad was picked after the regional trial games last feb and the east won their 3 games comfortably and as a result over half the players called up for the youths squad were from east munster- the east had 20+ called up to the initial sessions of the munster squad. I dont know how many north players were asked to go to the initial munster sessions but they came 2nd in the u17 regional squads league last season so i imagine they had 10-12 at the minimum
    everyone is not out to get clubs from limerick.

On the youths- Bohs were very poor at 17s last season, and couldnt even make the pan munster, so you can hardly expect many players to be near the youths squad as coaches/selecters of the youths will look predominantly at the pan munster last 16 for the players that will stand out. thomond crescent, bruff and shannon made the pan munster from the north at 17s with shannon-st marys, thomond, bruff, garryowen and bohs making it at 19s. I dont know why shannon had noone near the 19s squads, the youths players in the squad are mainly last years irish youths with 5 or 6 stand out players from last seasons pan munster
    Bohs were one of the weaker teams in the pan munster at 19s last season so you cant imagine many would have been near the munster 19s set up

I understand it is difficult for the limerick clubs to field(and many clubs always do field very strong teams) compared to everywhere else in the province as they have 4 A schools(5 incl Glenstal) to compete with players as well as having so many clubs in a small population of players

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/9458.php

East Munster top two at it again this year. How come Dungarvan cannnot field its own Under-19 team... Is it Collage age i wonder?.

• Advertisement

skip64 wrote: »
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/9458.php

East Munster top two at it again this year. How come Dungarvan cannnot field its own Under-19 team... Is it Collage age i wonder?.
    afaik they are combining with clonmel due to losing more players going off to college than they thought they would.
    Nenagh will be strong enough this year when they get all of their players back from playing GAA,

League fixtures for south munster at 17s/19s have been released. think there will be 2 sections at 19s and 4 at 17s
    Cant find the other sections
    Under 17 League
    Section 1
    Highfield
    Dolphin
    Sundays Well
    Youghal
    Cork Con
    Douglas

Under 19 League
    Section 1
    Crosshaven
    Highfield
    Bandon
    Clonakilty
    Ballincollig
    Cork Con

OL-Again I would argue that these aren't the full facts-just what's bouncing about. It's ancient history now but I feel that the Nth Munster lads only hope is through schools and the people in charge don't look at the clubs whatsoever. I think the standard at u19s in the knock out stages partucularly shoud have provided numerous players for a u19 panel of two teams but alas no contact or approach was made. We had a lad who played with us for years with no recognition or approach but one year in the schools set up and straight into the squad. Maybe its just a perception that the officials have that there's nothing in the nth Munster clubs. Smacks of a bit of laziness by the selectors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Hopefully an area that improves if there is too much emphasis on selecting from the schools and clubs are being overlooked. Particularly if a good player is going to a weaker school as maybe it's more convenient or can't afford to board/travel.
    Different topic but a talented 17 year old that went abroad was Downs Caolan Mooney. Aussies had him measured as one of the fastest in the Collingwood squad he was moving into. Four years of four hours a day gives him roughly 5,000 hours training aged 21 if yer goin down the whole 10,000 hours to expert route. Not sure he'd need to be Dan Carter type handling as he is so fast. Work him daily on offense, defence, passing and have him on a strength program.
    Aged 23 I think you'd have a very good player. (Could even end up a 7 as he is young and fairly big).
    Not saying GAA players in general just thought Caolan Mooney stood out with his speed/strength and being only 17.

Hopefully an area that improves if there is too much emphasis on selecting from the schools and clubs are being overlooked. Particularly if a good player is going to a weaker school as maybe it's more convenient or can't afford to board/travel.
    Different topic but a talented 17 year old that went abroad was Downs Caolan Mooney. Aussies had him measured as one of the fastest in the Collingwood squad he was moving into. Four years of four hours a day gives him roughly 5,000 hours training aged 21 if yer goin down the whole 10,000 hours to expert route. Not sure he'd need to be Dan Carter type handling as he is so fast. Work him daily on offense, defence, passing and have him on a strength program.
    Aged 23 I think you'd have a very good player. (Could even end up a 7 as he is young and fairly big).
    Not saying GAA players in general just thought Caolan Mooney stood out with his speed/strength and being only 17.
    That has changed the 2 19s squads for munster in the interpros were about even between schools and youths players, with 9 or 10 youths players in each squad for the interpros this season which is nearly half. A few years ago the youths would have been lucky to get 10/45 in squads like this now they are getting around 20/45 and are getting more every year

• Advertisement

It would seem that way only for the fact that the players that come from the Limerick clubs would not have played club rugby and their route to unster was through the schools eg David Wallace Shannon/ Munchins, David Canny Garryowen/Ard Scoil, Larry Hanly Old Crescent/ Crescent Comp, Ben Drew Garryowen/Munchin's. It does appear that the Limerick clubs are represented and I'm sure these lads are proud of their clubs but the selection came because of the schools. Also take into account that of the 3 Shannon players in the squad, one came from schools (Wallace), another from Nenagh (Gleeson) and the other from Dingle (Flannery). Points again to club rugby in Limerick particularly being ignored or at least ignored last year.

Leinster Under-18 (Club) team to face Munster...
    29 September 2011, 8:56 am
    By Editor

The Leinster Under-18 (Club) side, sponsored by Nivea for Men, to face Munster in Donnybrook this Saturday, 1st October (KO: 12 midday) has been named...

LEINSTER UNDER-18 (CLUB):

15: Adam Byrne (Naas)
    14: Eoghan Feane (Portlaoise)
    13: Fergal Cleary (Navan)
    12: James Doyle (Greystones)
    11: James White (Enniscorthy)
    10: Stephen Duke (Gorey)
    9: Eoghan Carron (Skerries)
    1: Peter Dooley (Birr) CAPTAIN
    2: Cian Byrne (Tullamore)
    3: Brian Cunningham (Navan)
    4: Josh O'Rourke (De la Salle Palmerston)
    5: Leon Martin (Tullamore)
    6: Eddie Earle (Gorey)
    7: Stephen Keelan (Navan)
    8: Killian Sweeney (Malahide)

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Shane Mulvany (Greystones)
    17: Shane Byrne (Wicklow)
    18: Stephen Gardiner (Gorey)
    19: Diarmaid Hickey (Kilkenny)
    20: Ross Hynes (Arklow)
    21: Sean Moran (Kilkenny)
    22: Niall Campbell (De la Salle Palmerston)

Coach: Eric Miller
    Assistant Coach: Dan van Zyl
    Manager: Patrick Keena
    Conditioning Coaches: Eugene McEntagart, Colin O'Hare
    Kit Man: Noel Ferguson
    Physio: Ian McGovern
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/newsroom/8562.php

Munster U18 Club Squad Named
    30 September 2011, 2:17 pm
    By The Editor

The Munster U18 Club side will face Leinster in the second game of their interpro series tomorrow, 1st October in Donnybrook at 12 pm.

Head Coach Keith Murphy has named his starting XV and will be hoping to retain Munster’s winning reign following their victory over Ulster in Thomond Park last Saturday. Munster U18 Clubs: Tom O’Hare (Waterpark), Adrian Enright (Abbeyfeale), Mark Healy (Kanturk), Seamus Keating (Dungarvan), Cillian Ansboro (Youghal), Dylan Horgan (Highfield), Killian O’Keeffe (Crosshaven), Adam Walsh (Waterpark), Darren Coady (Waterpark), Padraig Keating (Clonmel), Laurence Houlihan (Dungarvan), John Madigan (Charleville), Kalani Moore (Waterpark), Oisin O’Meara (Kilfeacle & District), Jack O’Donoghue (Capt.) (Waterpark) Replacements From: Dan McAleer (Kinsale), Eoghan Greene (Sunday’s Well), Niall O’Neill (Waterpark), Martin Mullane (Newcastlewest), Aaron Aitkinson (Ballina-Killaloe), Rory Parata (Sunday’s Well), Eamonn Chesser (Ennis), Louis Fitzgerald (Cork Con’) Ronan Hunt (Shannon), Lee McCarthy (Youghal), Martin Houlihan (Dungarvan).
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/9473.php

If this weather stays up...it will be wellies they need to get around the pitch. best wished to the lads v Leinster on Saturday. Great to see Lee McCathy & Martin Houlihan on the list..

Does anyone know who this louis fitzgerald lad from Cork con is? He didnt play for the South in the development games last season and was only called up to the squad a few weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭rugby_fan

Anyone at the match today?

Was at the match at Donnybrook with a couple of lads. wellies was the theme of the day...weather awful!!!! Game moved to back field...not sure what to take from it. Leinster looked in control... but if the Munster lads took their chances they could have packed a couple of scores. Johnny Hayes a big loss... KM also had to drop out before the game as he picked up an injury during warn up...

any players fr leinster stand out?

That #15 is a fine player...and a big man... the Leinster pack were good... but JH/KM were missed.. Hard to really knock any player that played in those condtions...

rugby_fan wrote: »
    Anyone at the match today?
    skip64 wrote: »
    Was at the match at Donnybrook with a couple of lads. wellies was the theme of the day...weather awful!!!! Game moved to back field...not sure what to take from it. Leinster looked in control... but if the Munster lads took their chances they could have packed a couple of scores. Johnny Hayes a big loss... KM also had to drop out before the game as he picked up an injury during warn up...
    Finished 8-0 to leinster. If it had been a dry day, leinster would have won by much more
    Munsters backs were terrible but munster lost as they were well beaten up front. In the backs for munster only mark healy from kanturk was able to make any ground.
    Jonny Hayes was badly missed in the front row for munster, back row wasnt as good as last week, Oisin O Meara the 7 was very good again. Kalani Moore was missed but mullane who came in should be starting either 2nd row or maybe the back row the next day. Jack O Donoghue was not as good and did not look 100%

• Advertisement

Thank you:)...conditions must of been awful for the match...it sounds like leinster have a very good pack with some decent players

Thank you:)...conditions must of been awful for the match...it sounds like leinster have a very good pack with some decent players
    Leinster are a good team, munster are poor nothing due to players but how the management has structured them.(they dont allow players with a lot of imagination/flair use their flair/imagination and instead prefer them to be very structured) There was some players involved with munster who are not up to interpro level
    Conditions were awful and the game would have been a much better spectacle if it had been played on the main pitch in donnybrook but because of wesley playing AIL the game was on the pitch at the bective end
    Munsters backrow was nowhere near as influencal as it was last week

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭muscleshirt

Leinster are a good team, munster are poor nothing due to players but how the management as structured them. There was some players involved with munster who are not up to interpro level
    Conditions were awful and the game would have been a much better spectacle if it had been played on the main pitch in donnybrook but because of wesley playing AIL the game was on the pitch at the bective end
    Munsters backrow was nowhere near as influencal as it was last week
    is it just the weather or are the back line that poor,some are on their second year in the team

is it just the weather or are the back line that poor,some are on their second year in the team
    Backs are poorly coached IMO with some not up to interpro standard. Adrian Enright who played on the wing today was the only back to have been on the youths last year, the rest who were in the squad last year were forwards
    The weather didnt help but munsters back play was not good and prob wouldnt have been good enough on a dry day

Backs are poorly coached IMO with some not up to interpro standard. Adrian Enright who played on the wing today was the only back to have been on the youths last year, the rest who were in the squad last year were forwards
    The weather didnt help but munsters back play was not good and prob wouldnt have been good enough on a dry day
    i have seen A.Enright play a few times,maybe better used at F/B

i have seen A.Enright play a few times,maybe better used at F/B
    Dont know... Tom O Hare is a very good full back though and prob needs to start. interpros finish next week with munster in galwey in the sportsground and ulster play leinster in campbell college
    IMO munster and leinster will win those games
    How many leinster and munster get called up for irish youths trials will be interesting, on what ive seen of all 4 teams, leinster will have the most call ups for the trial sessions with ireland in december

do u think will many of the leinster team gt the call up for the Irish Youths?

Dont know... Tom O Hare is a very good full back though and prob needs to start. interpros finish next week with munster in galwey in the sportsground and ulster play leinster in campbell college
    IMO munster and leinster will win those games
    How many leinster and munster get called up for irish youths trials will be interesting, on what ive seen of all 4 teams, leinster will have the most call ups for the trial sessions with ireland in december
    who would you think from munster?

do u think will many of the leinster team gt the call up for the Irish Youths?
    who would you think from munster?
    Leinster had 10 irish youths last year, should probably have more than that this year. 16 or 17 will get a look at.
    Munster should have around 10 making the squad

• Advertisement

thats a lot from leinster:O..basically the whole team..many good enuf to start do ya reckon?

Advertisement